Full-time Reborn Artist?

Curious, Would u say someone can make an income off being full time? And thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Here’s a little God story for you. :wink:
Way back in 2003, I was going through a very sudden divorce. My youngest kid at the time was just about to start PreK. I was a stay at home mom, only working 2 days a week at our church Mothers Day Out program. When the marriage ended everyone asked me what I was going to do. Everyone said put Mason in daycare and go to work. I said no. I asked God to provide a way for me to stay home with my kids until Mason started kindergarten. Then by random coincidence I found reborn Berenguers on eBay. I looked up tutorials. Then I loaded up the kids and went to Toys R Us. I bought a La Baby then I came home and ripped its head off. I still remember the looks on my kids’ faces. I’m pretty sure they thought I had finally lost it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Anyway, it worked. The first baby sold for about $125. Then they all started selling for $300+. They paid the bills and I was home for my kids. Then, a month before Mason started kindergarten I got a job at a daycare center. I was able to work when they were at school and be off when they were home. I kept reborning for a couple of years. But then life got too busy. Finally, at the beginning of this year I decided to try it again. Things are soooo different than they were back then. We used to layer the inside of the vinyl with paint to add coloring. Veins were done on the inside with a blue ink pen. Shading and blushing was done with stencil paint. Rooting was very pluggy. And the kits were soooo limited. This time around I had to completely relearn everything. But I’m loving it. Now I pretty much spend everything I make on more kits. But I plan to use all my fall dolly money to buy all of my Christmas presents. I don’t have to use it to pay bills now. But if I absolutely had to, I could live on my doll money. :wink:

5 Likes

Totally agree. It’s what I been noticing. Just was curious how many reborn artists out there turned this hobby to a business if possible. Because I saw one artist here I believe said she had babies make it to movies. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Well how helpful it is to have a child who can drive…lol yet slight nerve wrecking I’m sure. but That is amazing you work for a facility making dolls?? Can u share details or is that something that need to be let under wraps? Anyhow a hobby turned income nothing wrong with that… Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

OH, GOOD GRIEF NO!! lol… JMO, but there is no way I could actually live on this… I wasn’t working when I started reborning, and just absolutely love making toddlers (like addicted) but if I needed an actual income, no way :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am basically a stay at home mom. I go to school two hours a day to do the lunch supervision. I mostly paint on the weekends. I’ll paint a bit in the evenings sometimes if I feel like I have the spare time. I was selling my babies just to break even but demand was overwhelming what I could supply. I only sell by word of mouth around my community. I have never sold online or shipped any where. Although I wonder sometimes what I could sell one of my babies for if I did. Since I went to ROSE this year I have been convinced to at least put my price up to $350. I will probably sell less at this price but maybe I’ll be able to keep up with demand, we’ll see shortly when Christmas orders start to come. Mostly I just want to make babies because I like to. I don’t want it to be a job.

1 Like

I think that story is Amazing and inspirational. I’m not ready for my son (7months) to go to daycare he can’t speak. Not everyone have good intentions for your kids I would rather wait to he is of speaking age because i already know a great trustworthy school (daycare) but it starts at 2. I have been looking for direction and reborn keep popping up :slight_smile: although I know it’s tough in dolly world I also think this will be my until then. My how the reborn world have changed since u started…lol welcome back. Thanks for Sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol u put capital No! U mean that…lol I noticed from the other thread u make alot of toddlers mostly (beautiful toddlers) I don’t think I saw a newborn reborn from u

1 Like

Yes when u make it a job it feels to stressful sometimes I get it. it’s a hobby that’s interesting u never sold online just word of mouth will u try online once the Christmas demand come? How long u been a reborn artist? Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

no, I started with toddlers and stay with them… I have made babies thru the years, for custom buyers but they really don’t interest me at all.

1 Like

I want to say also that there is no way that I could possibly pay my bills every month just from reborning. My husband works full time and this supplements. We use it for extra expenses that come up and there have been a lot of those the last couple of years unfortunately. :confused: Right now I am not really able to get into the details of the facility and whatnot but hopefully soon. :wink:

1 Like

I started out about the same time as you, all the same supplies. In fact I still have about six La Babies stashed away. When I found out I was pregnant with my third I decided to pack that hobby up because I would have three kids, 4 and under. I started back up in 2012 and yes everything was very different. Loving it.

1 Like

I might try online for Christmas if word of mouth isn’t working since I put my price up. I’d rather not have to worry about listing and shipping if I don’t have to. Last year my Christmas orders started coming in in August and got crazy from there. So far I had two orders for Christmas and the one girl decided not to got for it when I said te price had gone up. I wondered if that might happen since it was all word of mouth not advertising people will be shocked when I now say I want $350.

1 Like

I just got a Christmas order today. This woman is local and has already bought two of my babies. This time she ordered Joseph twins. I’ve never done twins so I am pretty excited about it.

3 Likes

Well don’t sell yourself short. There will be others who respect the craft and pays u what u deserve

I love painting and wish it could be full time and I do conduct reborning as a business, but it is not how I support myself. I have a full time job and just paint when I can.

1 Like