First attempt at reborning part 2

I spent an hour stripping a kit. That should tell everyone how Megan is coming along… For anyone who is curious, I piled up a stack of baby wipes, poured on rubbing alcohol, then wrapped a wipe around each limb and let it sit for a few. Came right off for the most part (I use air dry) and I only had to work at the creases.

Back up to what happened prior. Flesh layers looked good, veins looked good, then came the mottling. Sigh. It was horrible. Then my attempts to fix it made it worse. Okay, so this will be an ethnic baby. I tried and she looked horrible! Lol So now I’m left with a stained Megan who looks way better than the jaundiced, bruised Megan I had last night. Oh well, live and learn. :slight_smile:

One more thing… I kept finding little fibers on my dolls parts which of course were getting stuck in the paint. Besides cleaning my house, is there any way to avoid this? :smile:

1 Like

Were the fibers coming from what ever you used to wipe it down? I know paper towels, and cotton balls/circles all leave behind tiny fibers.

1 Like

Sometimes I notice fibers on my paint brush… just a thought :blush:

1 Like

I agree maybe the paint brush or what you used to clean the paint off with. Next time if you think it’s really bad maybe post a photo and we could tell you what to do to correct it before stripping

1 Like

Are you wiping your brush on paper towels? That will do it.

2 Likes

I should have posted it, if nothing but for everyone to get a good chuckle. Seriously, it was horrible and nothing was going to help that child but stripping. Lol Maybe the next time I majorly mess up, I’ll post a pic to see if anyone knows how to save it. That probably would have really helped because my “fixing” the problem is what took it from oops to horrible.

Most of the fibers were dark. I wore dark clothes, so maybe I was somehow transferring fibers from my clothes? I use a puppy pad to work on… not sure if fibers fly around with that or not.

I seriously thought that about my Leah… hated it the whole way. But HE is super cute once I finished! Not gonna lie I fought it. I over mottled with purple and never got it worked out so I scrubbed it with rubbing alcohol and it only faded it… (GHSP) then I thought to try darker skin… and hated it, scrubbed that layer off… then I did a few really light washes with white added it and still hated it, cause then you could see the white… Then I used burnt umber and it looked okay wet… after it flashed off and I baked it… I still didnt like it, did another layer of mottling everywhere though to kind of merge it together… still not fond of it… but took some pics… next day didnt like it… I think I did another wash of burnt umber then called it quits. Did the nails, and gloss… then thought heck i might as well try rooting again seems how this baby is already ugly! Then I hated my rooting… asked a fellow member what she thought and she was very sweet and supportive and said it was great and I was crazy! LOL :heart: So I gave it a hair cut, scrunched it up a bit and it hit me… She was a he and cute! Finally! LOL
So I assembled him and did a photo shoot and shared on here and got great responses! lol

2 Likes

I clean all my brushes, my pallets my jars for mixing paints and use clean brand new wedges and I still get those tiny dark fibers everywhere. I use ghsp though so after my parts flash before I bake them I go over each part with a toothpick and pick off all the fibers. By the time I get back around the entire piece, there are more! This is the biggest most time consuming thing for me, it takes me forever to get them little pieces off, not sure exactly what they are but they are annoying and sometimes when I get to that part of the process, I dread it and don’t get any reborning done bc of it!

2 Likes

Hahaaaa!!! You just described my entire experience last night, @jlesser!!! It was smooth sailing from 9 to 10pm, then from 10pm to 2am, I did pretty much everything you’re describing. With each step, it got worse, but I’m stubborn and just wouldn’t give up. I only called it quits at 2am because my eyes were hurting… felt like some of those dumb fibers that kept getting stuck on my doll were in my eyes. :joy:

2 Likes

Can you set her aside and work on another one?

I’ve found that nothing good comes from working on dolls that late. My latest reminder was when I spilled the Pledge polish everywhere. :sob:

4 Likes

@jillsboys that happened to me too my first one was fine, the second one I will never to do that kit again, and she is a favorite, Shyann, I had paint problems too. She came out ok and I gave her to my MIL. I did not like the way she came out but I finished her anyway and now she has a happy Mom who loves her. My suggestion is to finish Leah. Make her an alternative baby or something, I am on my third and forth and they are doing better because I am slowly developing my style, whatever that is, lol. I am changing paints too. Right now I am practicing with the paints I have so that when I get my new paints I will know what I want and like on a baby. Make her your fun baby, just get creative with Leah, you know they look weird as you are going along then all of a sudden - Hey it is kinda cute.

This is Shyann the one I will never do again!

1 Like

Fibers can definitely transfer from your clothes! I have a red robe that I’ve learned to not wear when I’m painting :slight_smile:

1 Like

If it’s any consultation, I painted a few practice limbs and belly plates before I started on a kit and it had a few fibers here and there I didn’t worry about removing. When it dried they looked like little capillaries :blush: it was kinda cool! Not saying that happens all the time. Just thought I’d share :blush:

1 Like

If I don’t remove these, the baby looks dirty! I’ve tried just leaving them and thought maybe I could just brush them all off at the end, but they All build up and get sandwiched into the paint until it gets a dirty look to it! I hate picking them off with the toothpick but it’s definitely a part I can’t skip over. Pretty cool yours looked like capillaries, if mine did then I’d definitely leave them!

Here is my problem child :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

It may have just been a bit of beginners luck! Not risking all my hard work to find out if I’d have the same outcome :wink:

I think those little dust bunnies :rabbit: are somewhat inevitable unfortunately

Your problem child is so cute, @jlesser. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a cutie, Jenni! :blush:

1 Like