Eureka! UPDATE post 13

Ladies, I found the solution to closing awake kits’ eyes! It’s mold maker by sculpey. It’s bake able, flexible (so you can root it) and bonds to the vinyl (from what I’ve seen). So happy because I’ve been researching and researching for hours these past few days and gotten so many dead ends. But I found a thread on DF by an artist showcasing her Coco Malu. I’ll post a link. It looks beautiful and on the second page she mentions moldmaker. So excited because maybe my project will work now! :slight_smile:

http://www.doll-fan.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=359096

Link for moldmaker. Best part is I’ve seen it at craft stores here in town (hobby lobby, michaels). :slight_smile:
http://www.sculpey.com/product/mold-maker/

14 Likes

Woohoo! You have great sleuth skills, Izzy!! :wink:

2 Likes

Are you sure it will bond with the vinyl? Please let me know everything you discover because if this stuff works the way you think it will it will solve a dilemna I have been facing AND allow me to complete a special project that I had given up on. Hurray for Izzy! You are amazing.

4 Likes

For sure, Helen! I got you! :laughing: If you want, you could buy a bit of it yourself at hobby lobby or michaels (with 40% off coupon it’s around $8). I say that only because it could be awhile til I get to it cause this would be for a custom baby that won’t be started for awhile. :wink: It’s basically a flexible polymer clay. The lady who did Coco did it and it looks very bonded so it’s worth a try. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, adding one thing. I think it would be best to use this clay along with bake and bond to make sure it sticks to the vinyl. :slight_smile:

That is awesome! Because of this post, I finally signed up in that forum. I’ve been wanting to do that, forever hahaha

2 Likes

@izzy
Thank you for posting this Izzy. I’ve been using sculpey for my mods, and it’s worked very well, but I like the idea of this stuff being flexible so I don’t have to be so extra gentle with the pieces. AND I just want to ask…when you were on DF reading this post did you happen to see the Lola Chimp in the siggy picture about half way down on page 1? LOL
She haunts me lol

1 Like

WOW! That looks like a very effective technic.
You sure are one smart cookie izzy.

2 Likes

Yayyy…that is amazing work Izzy and I love the coco…it looks excellent…Let us know if you try it! :smile:

1 Like

Thank you ladies! Glad it could be of some help to you @DancesWithDolls and I will be sure to post how it works!

1 Like

Guess what I got today…mold maker!!! Mwahahahaha my test head awaits…:laughing:

2 Likes

Ok so experiment done! It turned out great, I think! @westernstarr @honojane @danceswithdolls @maitreasuredbabies :wink:

You should note mold maker is quite possibly the most finicky clay I’ve ever worked with. It’s unbelievably squishy and if you handle it too much it turns tacky and sticks to your fingers. I had to take a break and pop it in the freezer a few times to harden the clay. Thank god I was only sculpting eyelids and not a whole doll lol. Those little eyelids still took me an hour and I wasn’t even being picky with my sculpting being that it was a play doll experiment. :flushed: Still, the results would be worth it I think!

There are a few pros to mold maker though. It’s so soft it requires absolutely no conditioning and pretty much squishes right off the block. Because it’s so soft it blends into the vinyl very well.

So a few pointers (this is how I did it):

-put some cheap eyes in the socket to give the clay something to hold onto
-use bake and bond to make sure the clay adheres to the vinyl
-less clay is more!!! Seriously.

Here are pics:

edited to add this pic is to show how the clay is flexible and bends with the vinyl. Just a note I’ve heard mold maker gets harder with time and more bakes so still be super careful.

This last pic you can see I left a gap. That is because since the plastic eye is bonded to the clay, it would be near impossible to root. I think that gap is just enough room to glue some mohair to the plastic eye, seal the eyelid over it and have some applied lashes. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great job, Izzy! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, Amy! Excited to try it on Lelou. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats, Izzy! Nice job! You may have made a brand new innovation that improves the reborn world. I don’t know of anyone who has done this before.

1 Like

Thanks Helen but I saw this first on Little Dragonfly Nursery’s DF post. Only the eyelash idea was completely mine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I still think you’re amazingly original!

1 Like

Heehee thanks, Helen. :blush:

Excellent Izzy…Thanks so much for doing the homework and the experiment…It looks great…you could do a tutorial - very natural…other than the colour of the clay you would never tell it was added…
Truly very appreciated :smile:

2 Likes

Welcome, Starr! I’m terrible at explaining things but maybe I could do a picture tutorial. Lelou is due to arrive tomorrow so it should be soon. :slight_smile: