Ebay shipping fees

I haven’t used Ebay because I see a lot of complaints about them on this forum. Why do they charge shipping fees for reborns? They don’t ship them. We do. So are people paying twice for shipping-once to Ebay & again to USPS, UPS, FED-EX or however they choose to ship them?

They do not charge shipping fees. They do however take 10% of the shipping fee away from the seller. They make 10% on the doll and 10% on the shipping.

I thought I answered this but I guess I erased my own post (duh!) So back in the day, people used to charge minimal prices for an item, and huge prices for shipping. For example, if you were selling a stereo, you would charge $10.00, and then $200.00 for the shipping. ebay did not like this, because they were not getting their cut on the final value fee. So they started charging a comparable fee for shipping. Even though people don’t normally do that anymore, ebay never dropped the practice (much like income tax after the Great Depression ended )

— Begin quote from “jeanhai”

I haven’t used Ebay because I see a lot of complaints about them on this forum. Why do they charge shipping fees for reborns? They don’t ship them. We do. So are people paying twice for shipping-once to Ebay & again to USPS, UPS, FED-EX or however they choose to ship them?

— End quote

eBay does not charge shipping fee; they quote shipping fee according to the info the seller enters - weight of the parcel, destination & shipping option. The seller gets the shipping amount (postage + any packaging costs they requested) and pays for the posting when they take it to the PO.

However if the seller chooses to use Global Shipping Program (international transactions) then the shipping cost is calculated by the GSP, it includes the shipping to their sorting center, their fee for processing the item, any import tax/duty to the country of destination, and then shipping to the buyer. The shipping amount is paid directly to GSP; I assume the seller just prints out the label.

Actually, ebay does charge a shipping fee in the US and Canada. I have shipped many items, and they’ve taken a percentage every time. Things may be different in other countries, so if you are outside North America, the standards may be different. But if you aren’t, you will be charged a shipping fee (not sure what it is, but you probably won’t be happy)

— Begin quote from “dothehokeypokey”

Actually, ebay does charge a shipping fee in the US and Canada. I have shipped many items, and they’ve taken a percentage every time. Things may be different in other countries, so if you are outside North America, the standards may be different. But if you aren’t, you will be charged a shipping fee (not sure what it is, but you probably won’t be happy)

— End quote

ebay.com charges something like 10% FVF on the total of the transaction = price of the item + shipping. The %FVF differs depending on what sort of seller you are, what sort of store you have, if any, and some categories of items have different fees too.

Are you saying that ebay charges you “shipping fee” on top of the FVF? Or is that they break it down and say there was FVF $X for the item and $X FVF for the shipping?

— Begin quote from “Ludmila”

Actually, ebay *does *

— End quote

charge a shipping fee in the US and Canada. I have shipped many items, and they’ve taken a percentage every time. Things may be different in other countries, so if you are outside North America, the standards may be different. But if you aren’t, you* will* be charged a shipping fee (not sure what it is, but you probably won’t be happy)

ebay.com charges something like 10% FVF on the total of the transaction = price of the item + shipping. The %FVF differs depending on what sort of seller you are, what sort of store you have, if any, and some categories of items have different fees too.

Are you saying that ebay charges you “shipping fee” on top of the FVF? Or is that they break it down and say there was FVF $X for the item and $X FVF for the shipping?

— End quote

I’m sorry, but I did state in my original post that I don’t know the exact shipping fees ebay charges. Since I’m feeling lazy tonight, I haven’t bothered to check. My question is: does it really matter how much? I simply resent that ebay charges a fee for me to ship an item to my buyer at all (whether it be 1% or 10%). I don’t particularly care if it’s tacked on to the FVF or not. I naturally resent anyone who takes money out of my pocket - especially when I think it’s well earned, and I know I’ve contributed to their coffers as well. If that doesn’t bother you (or doesn’t apply to you) so be it, and good on you. It does bother me just a titch - and no matter how much one argues to the contrary, I will probably not change my mind. I only thought that if someone is considering using ebay as a platform for their sales, it’s fair to inform them that they will be charged a percentage on their shipping. If they would like to do further research, that’s their choice.

Yes ten percent of the shipping
The reason why is because in the past people would charge 80 shipping for something (for example) and make the item 80 dollars cheaper so that they would pay less in fees. eBay caught on. I’m pretty sure that’s why the started doing that.

— Begin quote from “Ludmila”

Actually, ebay *does *

— End quote

— End quote

charge a shipping fee in the US and Canada. I have shipped many items, and they’ve taken a percentage every time. Things may be different in other countries, so if you are outside North America, the standards may be different. But if you aren’t, you* will* be charged a shipping fee (not sure what it is, but you probably won’t be happy)

I’m sorry, but I did state in my original post that I don’t know the exact shipping fees ebay charges. Since I’m feeling lazy tonight, I haven’t bothered to check. My question is: does it really matter how much? I simply resent that ebay charges a fee for me to ship an item to my buyer at all (whether it be 1% or 10%). I don’t particularly care if it’s tacked on to the FVF or not. I naturally resent anyone who takes money out of my pocket - especially when I think it’s well earned, and I know I’ve contributed to their coffers as well. If that doesn’t bother you (or doesn’t apply to you) so be it, and good on you. It does bother me just a titch - and no matter how much one argues to the contrary, I will probably not change my mind. I only thought that if someone is considering using ebay as a platform for their sales, it’s fair to inform them that they will be charged a percentage on their shipping. If they would like to do further research, that’s their choice.

— End quote

Dot, I am not saying that the FVF payable on the shipping is fair; I am asking question because the OP asks: " Why do they charge shipping fees for reborns? They don’t ship them. " that sound to me she thinks that the shipping fee goes to eBay and she then has to pay for shipping again. The OP did not asked about FVF. Am i reading it wrong?

Hi,

If I misworded what I wrote or was misunderstood, I apologise. However, I never claimed that anyone has to pay twice for shipping - merely that ebay charges a fee on shipping when a seller sends an item, which is a percentage of the total shipping cost.

I’m just going to drop this topic. I think the question has been answered adequately, and seems to be causing more antagonism than is justified given that everyone is just trying to be helpful.

Sorry but I think ebay is unreasonable at 10 percent of the total cost. Years ago my cousin and I found out that consignment stores take 50 percent of the profit. Plus they have less exposure unless you are in a tourist area.