Doll Show Pricing Help

I have said this because I am one to start sharing my babies on the DOTW page while painting them and then upon completion. When I say that it is the truth, I have yet to sit down and figure up what prices I want to ask. I type up a price sheet.Then I let it “stew” in my mind a couple weeks. I watch to see what others are asking for the same type baby in the same quality work. That lets me know if I feel my pricing is too high or low. I usually edit my price sheet a couple times until I am happy with what I want to charge. Then I have a final sheet from which I will quote prices. I only in the last week finalized my pricing sheet and now when someone asks me what the price is of a particular baby I reply with said price. I even posted my pricing sheet on my FB business page. I do not post it on the DOTW group page as I feel that is not necessary but my followers on my page like to see it because I have people waiting to buy babies not sold at the show. So that is my process.

2 Likes

Thank you for your input. I have a sheet too and do give my prices thorough consideration.

1 Like

I would figure it out before posting them on reborns dot com, taking into consideration shipping, PayPal fees, etc… different thoughts go into doll show pricing, the possibility of cash payments, shipping if it is a show I fly to or no shipping if I drive, and all if the things Angie mentioned as well. When I started posting them I had a range in mind but due to all the variables have just not finalized my prices.

3 Likes

I was looking at those babies that are just dressed in the white onesie with lady’s logo------I like them!! I understand what you mean by a
“well dressed” baby but I feel like I can really SEE the artwork on the ones that are only in a onesie due to the clothing NOT being a distraction. Does that make sense? I wouldn’t want to “buy” a baby just because I was seduced by the “outfit” it had on. I want to purchase a baby because of the “outstanding” workmanship. I hope I’m making sense here. You can always dress your newly purchased baby exquisitely when you get it home!!

edit: not to mention you can see how the limbs are painted also since they are not covered up.

1 Like

I totally get your point. I was not being critical of her. In fact I love her work so much she has been working on a custom baby for me and I rarely do that. But I have heard it said before about babies at shows dressed in simple onesies not selling well. So it was the only thing I could think of that might have been a factor in her situation last year because her work is beautiful.

Oh heck no Angie, I never took it that way. I knew you didn’t mean any kind of criticism, I was just voicing my own dumb opinion. Her babies all look Awesome to me, I don’t think I have ever seen them at a show----but I have only been to ROSE shows. Do you know if she has been to any of them?

I 100% agree with you, Lynn.
In addition, 5 years of selling taught me that it’s absolutely doesn’t matter how I dress my babies. New mamas will change them immediately after they received them and proudly send pictures in their new outfits to me. Not because they don’t like ‘my’ clothes, but because they already bough several outfits and it’s fun to dress a baby. it’s a part of the ‘play’, I get it.

Here they are at DOTWE 2023, at least I am thinking this is the artist that Angie was talking about

I think her reduced prices are still high for painted hair babies. Jessica Collier does great work and paints with Windsor Oil Paints using them in place of Genesis.

1 Like

They are so cute, thanks for posting these pics Yelena, very much appreciated!

1 Like

Personally I price my doll show babies about the same, I know a lot of people price them slightly lower. I just figure what I’m saving on box openings or shipping I’m making up for in show costs: registration, travel, decor, etc…

3 Likes

If people pay them, then they are considered worth it. I am sure some might think my prices are high for hair painting too but I have told people before that just because I don’t root my babies does not mean that they are not as good a quality as one that is. Yes, Mohair is expensive and yes, it takes a lot of time to root But I have seen a lot of rooted babies that I would not consider greatly painted and/or rooted. In the end, what matters is what the artist can get, and if people are willing to pay it, then so be it. I know I will never hit the over thousand dollars mark that some people charge for their vinyl painted hair babies and I do not mind it.

2 Likes

You are welcome! :hugs: