Do you work on multiples?

I wonder if those of you who work on multiple babys do so because you need to put new eyes on a doll youve been working on so go to another.
After a while i think mine looks finish but then im not sure.Do you put the head on a shelf for a week or 2 come back later?

3 Likes

It depends on what kit I’m doing and how motivated I am. Sometimes I get bored with a sculpt and rush through it and then it turns out horrible, so I just start a different baby. I also delay putting in eyes because I absolutely despise that!! I do put the doll away and come back later, mostly because I get frustrated and what not.

1 Like

Thanks for the answers. I wanted to do one at a time to make sure i dont rush.get sonething wrong.But looking at this ones face i think its done I mottled the foerhead pretty heavily you cant see on the photos .I think i like it pretty well.just wonder if its too dark. .but im afraid to bake it until im positive so thought id move on for a few days.
On the other hand since last layers arent baked im also afraid ill mess them up leaving it lay around or get them dirty…I really dont have a place to put unfinished dolls not even a room to put them.My large dog has dirt flying in the air in most of my house and my teen age kitten runs around my room like a wild man

1 Like

I usually have a main one I’m working on, but often I have a toddler or a big head that I am rooting in stages when I don’t feel like painting. Sometimes when one is close to completion I start another. Or sometimes I do two if I know I want similar skin tones on them so I can paint them at the same time. Once I had four in different stages but it drove me bonkers. I was in a panic to get one of them done. I finally just focused on one and finished and then did the next etc. I get overwhelmed easily and then my work suffers.

7 Likes

I do the same as Helen. If I’m rooting a toddler or a big noggin, I’ll paint a smaller kit in between rooting sessions. It stops me getting bored x

2 Likes

I also work on several. I have one main one and as soon as I get to the point that I cannot go on because all the parts are either drying or cooling down, i start the next, But the main one gets always priority.

4 Likes

I usually have about 3-4 going at once. Not always in the same place as far as being worked on either. Right now I have 2 that are almost finished in the painting process, 1 that I am struggling with the color on (still have a long way to go) and 1 that needs assembled and sent out.

3 Likes

I tried to do 2 at once i kept forgettingvwhat layer i was on ! .
Probaby should have painted a color sample of each layer on the edge so id know Will do next one i start.
I can see selling them you really need to paint multiples…4 or 5 id go crazy. im not that organized.

2 Likes

I work on multiples for the same reason as most everyone else…I hate the down time between flashing, baking etc. Working on multiple also prevents me from becoming frustrated working on one doll if it isn’t coming out to my liking.

2 Likes

I don’t have down time with air dry. But I do enjoy working on 2 babies at a time. No reason behind this except it seems to go pretty fast doing the layers on 2 kits at the same time as compared to one at a time.

Misty

2 Likes

I can’t get limbs mixed up because they are all kept seperate on racks or on a tray.

1 Like

Right now I am working on 5 kits, and rooting 1. I have separate trays for whatever layer I am on. I have a big counter top so it works well. Plus then I can’t get the limbs mixed up. The only time I don’t do this is if I am working on a AA baby.

2 Likes

I thought I wanted to use my downtime working on another, but I ended up going back to just working on one. Sometimes I will work on it for days at a time and I realized my downtime is useful for breaks lol. I lost eating time when I was working on two at once :open_mouth:. But maybe while I’m rooting I’ll try painting one this go round so I don’t drive myself crazy.

1 Like

Bec you are like me cant let painting the dolls interfere with my eating lol
Even one ill lll start painting at 9 or so next thing i know its 2!!
Plus im standing not sitting so my legs need a rest.
Oh what a good idea mark the limbs Eyes too !So far i keep second packaged until about done with first.

2 Likes

I can only deal with making one at a time unless it’s twins that are going through the same stages together.

2 Likes

I work on 1 at a time because I don’t want dolls to stack up in the “rooting” basket!!! I can’t imagine looking at a bunch of babies that all need rooted, I’d go nuts----so I limit myself to 1 at a time!!

3 Likes

I work on a few at a time for a few reasons. One of the reasons is, my imagination gets ahead of me and I’m already thinking about the next Monster, while beginning the first. So, I generally have about 3-6 lined up at a time haha However, I’m not always ‘focused’ on each one. Sometimes, I’ll be more focused on one particular doll, any given day. Madness, I tell ya. Madness! Haha

2 Likes

I have done 2 at a time, but I really prefer one! Keeps me on track and I don’t have to do veins or creases for hours on end!

3 Likes

I was only doing one at a time but have figured out that once a kit gets to the rooting stage I can start painting another. That way I can switch between what I am doing so I don’t get irritated with any of it.

1 Like

Debra, will you please post pictures of your babies, I haven’t seen any of them!!! What is wrong with me lately, I seem to be missing so many of our members babies, I would love to see yours!!!

2 Likes