Customs/ New interest

What’s up with all these inquiries regarding customs lately? I have had babies sitting in my nursery on reborns for months with no buyers. Some interest but no takers. All of a sudden, I am getting several inquiries regarding taking customs. I have not offered any customs because I do not want the headache of being pressured. Right now I paint in my down time and go with the flow. Should I be more open to taking customs? Share your experiences, please

2 Likes

I’ve been taking custom orders for a few years now. I do quite well with them. I’ve never ran in to any problems. I just make sure the customer knows that it does take a lot of time to make a reborn. I usually ask them to give me 15 business days sometimes longer. I also provide pictures of my previous work so they can see what my babies look like. When the order is finished, I sent them pictures before I ship so they can see the finished baby.

3 Likes

I have taken two custom orders. Both were very easy to work with and both were very happy with their reborns. One, however, was a memory baby and that was extremely difficult because it was her child that passed as an older teen. All I could think was that she knew every dimple, crease, vein and hair pattern. I stressed big time and it was worth it in the end…I decided not to do any more memory babies because of the perfect realism I expected and expect she did too… The buyer has contacted me to do a toddler…Guess what… I will be doing it, but this is the last! Probably

4 Likes

I do customs. So far, I haven’t had any problems. I tell them it will be 4-6 weeks before they receive their baby. They choose kit, gender, skin tone, hair color and eye color. The rest is up to me, although I will add distinguishing marks, such as birth marks, if requested. I don’t send WIP photos every step of the way. Too many people don’t understand the process and will find fault with partially completed dolls because they don’t know that’s how it should look at a particular stage. I send pictures of the finished doll before shipping.

4 Likes

I would definitely give yourself sufficient time, you never know what curve balls life will throw at you. Even a cold can put you behind shed. The stress of running behind could ruin any joy.

1 Like

I have started taking them, but I am picky about my customers. Most have already purchased a baby from me, the rest let me paint in my vision, they just want a particular kit. So far, so good. I love my customers!

Oh, I also tell them 4-6 weeks. I’m a single parent, stuff happens, so that buys me extra time for when life gets in the way of my painting. :blush:

3 Likes

I just took my final custom order. It can be stressful as the customer may put many demands. I’ve now stopped doing custom orders unless someone pays me $1000, then I’ll make them one.
It just feels stressful at times.

2 Likes

These are the kind I don’t take. :rofl:

When people ask me if I take customs, many times I tell them I take them from time to time, it depends. Then I ask them what they are looking for. If they send me prototype artist photos and a list of demands a mile long, I’m not doing it. If they are in a rush, I’m not doing it. It’s only if they seem reasonable and like my work as it is that i will even try… but if anyone acts crazy mid process, I would refund them in a heartbeat and sell that doll to someone else. As accommodating and kind as I can be, I am not desperate enough for money to put up with a bunch of foolishness.

Edited to add: Let’s see how long this lasts. Someone is getting on my nerves as we speak. Rushing me to ship, yet not rushing to pay. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This is what I was afraid of. I work full-time and paint for comfort and at will. I do not want added stress.

2 Likes

I so agree, this is supposed to be fun and relaxing - why do we have to deal with the stress?

1 Like

That makes sense. I guess it’s like everything else. Case by case.

1 Like

I am super picky about who I will take on for a custom. I don’t mind repeat customers - if they already have one of my ready made babies and then ask for a custom - I don’t mind at all.

3 Likes