Caution to Other Reborners : Big Boss Breakdown

I’m sooooo sorry this happened to you! :cry: Thankfully no FIRE, though…could’ve been much worse. Glad you’re okay!

Thanks, Karen! Yes, glad no fire. Has anyone here ever had a fire with BB kits baking at 265?

Oh gosh, I hope not! I always stick close by when my babies are baking. I’m a mother hen. Cluck Cluck…
:chicken:

4 Likes

I let my parts cool in the NuWave oven; I just take the cover off to let the heat escape.

1 Like

i have a big boss rapid wave oven and i use it to cook our food. i have had it a year now and have not had any problems with it. im sorry yours became broken. i have never used my oven or big boss for reborning. from day one i have used a heat gun that way i have control and for me it works real well and takes about the same amount of time to make a baby. im scared of putting the doll part into any oven because im so nervous about something bad happening

Happened to me, the doll baked for hours in the evening and it was only a fluke I went to that part of the house that is did not bake all night. But It happened to me before that the oven failed to turn itself off, but in those times I noticed faster. Now, I never depend on it doing so, I expect occasional failure… Never leave the house with the oven on, and always check that the oven is off after the last bake for the day.

But my kits were not melted, they sagged a bit but I got them back in shape with some stuffing when they cooled down bit.

2 Likes

I have a big boss too and this exact things happened to me a few weeks after I got it. I put my parts in, left the room to go play a board game with my son. I never thought of it not turning off bc it always did every other time I used it. So about an hour later, I came back to oven still on but timer was no longer ticking away. even after that, the timer would quit before the actual time ran out, at like the 4 minute mark. So I set an extra alarm every time just in case I did walk away. Then I would set it to another 4 minutes due to it shutting off 4 minutes too soon. then one day it just went back to running thru the whole 8 minutes and shuts off every time now. That was almost a year and a half ago and I have no issues anymore, but I am still cautious and never leave it just in case. I’m sorry this has happened to u and at the worst possible time for you too! Hope u get the new one and that this one works for you.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I just posted this to warn others not to assume the timer will work. The funny thing is I’m usually an overly cautious person. I sat close to oven for the first few bakes. I’ve never left the house before with anything cooking. The one time I do… it could have been worse, but I don’t want it to happen to others.

@shandeni I got mine last month. I tried again this morning without parts and it seemed ok once. Tried again and the timer stopped moving before the oven was off and never rang but the oven did turn itself off. I’m glad yours fixed itself. Very odd.

@melcurll I used to use a heat gun for everything too but I started having issues with the painted hair not setting.

@ludmila Glad you were able to salvage the parts. I might have been able to stuff and reheat the legs to restore the shape (the legs sagged a lot) but the white towel they were on left nubby indents in the vinyl.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I just posted this to warn others not to assume the timer will work. The funny thing is I’m usually an overly cautious person. I sat close to oven for the first few bakes. I’ve never left the house before with anything cooking. The one time I do… it could have been worse, but I don’t want it to happen to others.

@shandeni I got mine last month. I tried again this morning without parts and it seemed ok once. Tried again and the timer stopped moving before the oven was off and never rang but the oven did turn itself off. I’m glad yours fixed itself. Very odd.

@melcurll I used to use a heat gun for everything too but I started having issues with the painted hair not setting.

@ludmila Glad you were able to salvage the parts. I might have been able to stuff and reheat the legs to restore the shape (the legs sagged a lot) but the white towel they were on left nubby indents in the vinyl.

I wonder if the indents would also improve when heated

The towel imprints left on my Chrisy are still there. Even after a few “Normal” bakes they never went away.

Well, I would like to know how these evil little machines “know” that you aren’t watching. It’s like they have a mind of their own and wait for you to trust them, then BLAMO, they melt your babies! I’m thinking “I, Robot” here.

4 Likes

I doubt they would improve because of how they are shaped. And the limbs are beyond glossy. Like patent leather. The legs collapsed and sort of twisted.

That would indicate that you bake too hot to start with. The time my oven did not switch off it was hours and the doll was fine. i cannot remember which kit it was, but I have posted about it here on this forum. Here is the link

That’s odd. I bought an oven thermometer to check the temp in my oven before use and it was running too hot so I adjusted the temp until I found the right one. I never have melting or dents or shiny vinyl when I bake the right time.

Of-course, different kits are made out of different vinyls and so some might take more baking than others. I was just stunned that the doll was OK after couple of hours.

Oh no … . so sorry to hear this ! I am just glad you didn’t burn your home down ! I had a similar occurance , but with a regular oven . I was baking a baby , when my hubby came in and decided to turn the oven to broil to make his lunch !!! LOL! Go figure . . . He was un aware that I was reborning , and I had a set of twins in the oven at the time !! When I came up to the kitchen , I saw smoke pouring out of the oven !!! I opened the door and saw one huge puddle of vinyl !!! EEEELKKKK !! Yes , I cried !!! LOL! He felt so bad , but at that point I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry !! I guess it happens to all of us !! I hope you can get your baby together in time for your mom’s Birthday !!

1 Like

Wow! My hubby would be in the dog house over that!

1 Like

Oh my… your hubby (and you) must have felt awful. I’m sorry that happened to you. He must have been distracted to not notice the oven was already on. Happens to almost everyone at some point to make a mistake with the stove if you cook enough.

I once turned the burner on under a pot to get it boiling and went to the washroom. My rice cooker was also on the stove because I have very little counter space. I was still getting used to a new stove at the time and the buttons on the left were inversed from the buttons on the right, so I accidentally opened the backburner where the cooker was instead of the front. My kid was little and was pointing into the kitchen from the dining room as I came out of the washroom, yelling “Fire!” The rice cooker had caught fire. Thank goodness I always keep lots of baking soda on hand in case of kitchen fires. I’ve rarely used it (knock wood) but that time it really saved my kitchen from serious damaged. It was quite the mess to clean up. The plastic had melted all over the stove. Thank God I had always taught my kid about the danger of fire and telling an adult immediately in case of danger. I don’t think I could handle it if anything ever happened to my little sweetheart.

My husband who is not the emotional type, felt badly when he saw how the limbs had warped and knew it was for mom’s birthday. He actually said how sorry he was that the doll melted 3 or 4 times and he hadn’t touched the oven. He just felt badly for me.

Good news: He exchanged my oven last night for a new one at Walmart. They have a 90 day return policy and I had bought it 5 weeks ago. He drove a good 25-30 minutes one way to get it last night while I got the kid to bed. My hero! :heart_eyes: :smile: I’m going to replace the limbs with others from another kit. Off to reborn now…

2 Likes

Your hubby is a definite “keeper”. :wink:

2 Likes