Can I save him?

Raine is my first ever attempt at reborning a baby , at first I was using a heat gun and everything was dandy , so I try an oven after getting the skin I wanted and everything was ready for baking so I pop him in watched for 4mins and took a quick potty break I come back and he is smoking and has two huge ugly disfigurement on top of his head. I’m so upset he’s my first one and I think I ruined him :,(

1 Like

In your regular home oven? What temp did you have it set to? He should have done just fine in there for 8-9mins at 275. DO you have an oven thermometer?

When you say disfigurement…what exactly do you mean. Is it like a burn spot, or did something happen to the actual structure of the vinyl? Can you post photos?

Whatever it is don’t give up on him just yet. Most everything can be fixed or worked around and this board is filled with a wealth of experience and knowledge…others will respond soon I’m sure.

3 Likes

Can u post pictures someone might be able to help, we’ve all scorched, burnt,melted and annihilated a baby :expressionless::sob:

4 Likes

I had it set at 260 in a conventional oven from my aunt with no thermometer

Looks like he was too close to the heating element. You can try stuffing him really tight and then rebaking him. He might come back into shape.

4 Likes

Looks like maybe his head was too close to the top of the oven…lol never mind @honojane just took the words right out of my mouth :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I hope so , seriously broke down in tears , what would I stuff him with?

Is there a way to adjust the rack(s) in your oven so that the parts aren’t so close to the top for next time?

1 Like

I agree. You can stuff him with polyfil or cloths.

You may want to consider getting a NuWave or similar-type oven.

3 Likes

Stuff him with the polyfil that goes in the body (you can still reuse it in the body I just learned that bit from another forum member :smile:
I also use kitchen towels to stuff my heads, it’s just easier for me and takes less work to get it packed really tightly than the poly

2 Likes

Just stuff him full of fiberfill , nice an tight. Then just rebake and cross your fingers. The vinyl has a memory and sometimes comes right back to shape. If you are using a tabletop type oven be sure you have an extender ring or this will happen.

3 Likes

I had him setting on the bottom on top of a towel but I pushed him close to the back. Ill have to rotate him next time. I thank all of you for helping me

2 Likes

You’re very welcome, let us know how it goes :smile:

3 Likes

Thank you all so much for the advice!!! Raine looks 100x better

3 Likes

5 Likes

Yay! Nice and round.

1 Like

If you’re really serious about reborning you should invest in a NuWave, it will give you piece of mind and they just work fabulously!!

4 Likes

Unless it’s melted into a puddle most oops things are fixable or can be camouflaged.

5 Likes

Don’t forget to get a reliable oven thermometer, and use it religiously! It can save a lot of doll kits.

2 Likes