Berenguer Preemie from Kmart FINISHED NOW

edited to put in newest photos so you don’t have to go through the whole thread:

Presenting Colby! I finished him up tonight and took a few quick pics with the flash. His mouth is not as red as the flash makes it look and his hair has no red undertone at all either.

Awww I think he is darling!! I’m really loving this doll, I’m going to have to get myself one!!

I will be making mine a non-jointed body using the Prillycharmin pattern. I just like the non-jointed bodies better on these little guys because it makes them move more like a real baby. Here is an example of what the body will look like from bodies I made a long time ago and used:

Back view on a baby:

Front view of ethnic one before stuffing and putting on the baby:

1 Like

Mimi, I already cut an X in the middle of the socket to try to give the eye piece a little more wiggle room in hopes that I would be able to straighten them that way but it didn’t work. Do you think I should just cut them open all the way or what?

Okay, I cut the eye sockets and straightened the eyes up as much as the socket shape would allow and the sealed over the back of the whole eye/socket with Liquid Nails silicone. I think this looks better even though the eyes are still looking just slightly to the right but not so much white showing on the left as it was.

Thanks! These Secrist eyes are really too white on the whites for my preference but I couldn’t pass up the clearance deal that BB had on them for the 16mm size.

I just finished up mine and I just love her -mine is all girl!I also am looking for more and want to do several

I think my eyes turned some in the sockets on me overnight while the silicone was drying but they are set now so whatever. Here is baby with hair. Girl or boy?

I have tamed the curl down just a bit on the sides and trimmed it and I think I will go boy since I have a preemie sleeper for a boy and don’t have any preemie girl stuff. I also have preemie white t-shirts that I can put on him for a diaper shot.

Angie, he/she is so cute. Just love the little leggy rolls on that one! I was at Kmart today and yesterday, and they have them there, but I talked myself out of it again.

It was a blast from the past to reborn it. Reminds me why I don’t do the Berenguers any more. There is the stripping, then head is harder to root but the thing that bothered me the most is the smell of that vinyl! That perfume they put in it smells awful loud when you are heat setting the paints. Even thought I do mine outside I still had to smell them while painting because the heat brought it out and made it more smelly. It gave me a headache!

Yep, you’re right about that. I remember now why I was so glad to start doing kits and leave all those Berenguers on the shelf! And that smell used to make my hubby ill. Didn’t bother me so much, but gave him a headache. And he has a lot more respiratory problems now, so I better leave them at Kmart. Thanks for the reminder.

— Begin quote from “anjsmiles”

I think my eyes turned some in the sockets on me overnight while the silicone was drying but they are set now so whatever. Here is baby with hair. Girl or boy?

— End quote

I think you could go either way …how adorable!
Hugs,
Judy

— Begin quote from ____

those berenguers are soft vinyl. Kind of like BB kits soft. easy to root.

— End quote

The one I got was not as soft as a BB kit. In fact, it was just like rooting one of the old 17" La Newborn Moments heads or 15" Carry Me babies. These are not the same soft vinyl as the more expensive versions of these faces. Also, I think heat setting them may make them a little less soft but I could be imagining that. I did root mine with a German forked needle and I had to use a rice sock to make it root easier in the thicker spots. The vinyl in the head is thicker than in the kits heads. I never use a rice sock any more with the BB and similar kits.

— Begin quote from ____

Do you think oval eyes would work in these?

— End quote

The sockets are really small and not very deep but they are definitely round. I would lean towards saying not but you might could use an oval eye if you used a 14 mm instead of a 16mm but I can’t say for sure. I do think that you could probably get away with a 14mm half round eye as well as the 16mm half round eye because the 16mm half round eye was a very snug fit before I cut the socket back open to try to straighten them up more.

Presenting Colby! I finished him up tonight and took a few quick pics with the flash. His mouth is not as red as the flash makes it look and his hair has no red undertone at all either.

Wow, what a transformation! He is wonderful.

Yes, I took the Prillycharmin V pattern soft body/non-jointed for the 14" Lots to Love dolls and made it a bit slimmer so it would be the right proportion for these type preemies. It is a pattern I have used for years that goes way back to when I first started reborning and we were all doing the Berenguers.

Here’s a pic I took of it with my old camera before the battery was charged on the good camera.

— Begin quote from “anjsmiles”

edited to put in newest photos so you don’t have to go through the whole thread:

— End quote

Wow he is absolutely adorable …it’s hard to believe he is the same Kmart baby. Where did you find them small adorable clothes?
Hugs,
Judy

Thank you! He really is adorable in person. I keep expecting him to coo at any minute!