Beginner - need tips

I want to attempt my hand at creating a baby from a kit. I could use some tips on how to begin. What kind of supplies do I need - paint, hair, etc? I am really going into this blind and can use all the guidance I can get on how to get started.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! The spyglass at the top of the page is FULL of info ~ type in any questions you might have and you’ll get loads of answers. I found this that I thought might be helpful:

http://discourse.bountifulbaby.com/t/new-artist-supply-list/19896

3 Likes

It really depends on what kind of paints you are looking to use I myself use Geneisis Heat Set, I always have😊, I think for starters in my opinion, they are easier to work with. However, none of the stuff is real cheap, if you are just starting out, but on the brightside, those paints last forever!! and will do many dolls., if you go that route, you will also need a counter top type oven like a nuwave or an off brand, Amazon has good deals. I got mine for around $80, but its well worth it! Paint brushes, paint thinner like mona lisa brand, sponges, glass dishes for mixing paint, Im cheap, so I get mine from the Dollar stores😊,
As far as hair, don’t splurge on expensive yet, but if you plan on rooting, you’ll need needles and holder as well.
There maybe ladies on forum that have extra stuff to sale for cheaper.
Once you figure out what you decide, I’ ll look through my things, I’m sure I have extra stuff😊
Best of luck!! Once you start, you will love it😊

3 Likes

I use Professionel Liquitex Soft Body (and some Hard Body, they’re just thicker) air dry paints. I really like them. I started with air dry (different brand) and continue to use them. They’re less expensive and don’t need any special equipment-just paint, brushes, ultra matte gel and water. And, because it doesn’t need to be baked, it’s faster and there’s no chance of melting it. I use Americana Soft Touch Varnish to seal. It leaves a softer finish than the matte varnish. You’ll need a kit, of course, paints, cosmetic sponges (make sure they don’t have anythinlg like aloe or lotion in them), weighting beads, poly pellets, polyfil, body, eyes if baby is awake, and mohair and needles if you’re going to root it. There are many kinds of mohair. Invest in a good quality one. It makes a huge difference. You’ll also need some kind of sponges for mottling. I use pieces of sea sponge but cut up tack sponges work and so do plucked cosmetic wedges.

Welcome to the forum! I’d suggest Bountiful Baby’s free tutorials:

http://pictures.bountifulbaby.com/videos/videos.html

1 Like

I bought a complete beginner kit from BB. Painted alongside the video it comes with then googled further questions or came to this forum. :blush:Welcome and have fun!!!

1 Like

There’s a bunch of info here:

http://discourse.bountifulbaby.com/search?q=beginner%20tips

Just a couple of ways to save some money: If you find you need to buy any more colors of paint, don’t be put off by the sizes available. Get the smallest jar available unless you are buying a basic flesh color. Those containers of GHSP are tiny but they last for years! And invest in a NuWave oven with digital controls and be sure it comes with the expander ring. I tried saving money and using a countertop oven when I started. The kits I damaged because the temperature was too hard to control were worth way more than the extra I would have spent if I’d just gone ahead and gotten a NuWave in the first place! And even with a NuWave, always double check the actual temp by using an oven thermometer inside it.
As lots have already said, do lots of searching with the spyglass on this forum and go to YouTube and watch as many videos about reborning as you can. You will learn a ton this way and even more when you actually start painting. Good luck!

1 Like

Welcome!

If you decide to go with heat set, there are cheaper knock-off nuwave. I got mine for under $40. It is expensive to get started in this hobby whether you go air dry or Genesis. Better quality mohair makes a difference too. Just buy some supplies as you go along if you need to but try to watch your shipping costs if you do that. BB offers everything you need if you go with Genesis. Wish they could come up with a set of colors in air dry but they haven’t yet. Don’t go overboard trying every layer you can imagine on your first doll. Just go with the basics and branch out gradually on other dolls.
You will find yourself addicted and end up with mountains of kits, cabinets full of mohair and eyeballs, dressers full of clothes and rooms with cribs and changing tables and babies. Enjoy!!!

2 Likes