At what point would you worry in a transaction?

Hi all,
I purchased a partial silicone baby from a seller on Doll-Fan a few days ago. I paid for the baby via Paypal on Wednesday 5/31 and she contacted me on Thursday to ask for my shipping address. I responded within 3 hours with the address. Since then, I have heard absolutely nothing and have sent her two more follow up emails with no response. She originally mentioned in her email that it would take a day to clear payment and that she expected to ship no later than Friday. It’s now Saturday and I’m getting worried.

Here is the baby I purchased:
https://www.doll-fan.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=378487

I was a little nervous that she didn’t have any feedback and wasn’t a frequent poster, but I figured I should be protected by Paypal in the worst case scenario.

This is actually my first purchase secondhand (versus direct from the artist) so I don’t know if I’m worrying for nothing. Any thoughts/opinions? How long should I give her to respond or communicate? It’s been 2 days since I heard anything.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I would start worrying right about now! The first red flag would have been her explanation in the listing. TMI. Second one would have gone up with the shipping delay. And the third one with the lack of communication. Probably time to contact PayPal and open a case. If it is a legitimate seller she will ship the doll. If not you’ll get your money back.

6 Likes

It felt a little scammy when I first read the sale post. I hope she comes through for you but I’m skeptical

1 Like

I would contact her through papal though granted it has not even been a week and if her story is true they have a lot going on and it was just the holiday so mail is off. But if you contact through paypal they usually answer right away.
My concern is though at the bottom she posted a link to an eBay auction. saying that this is where she got the baby from. First the auction didnt sell
Second if she paid $1000.00 to $3000.00 why is she only selling for $300

2 Likes

I would have started worrying the first time she didn’t respond. I think you’ve been scammed and should contact PayPal immediately. Right under the doll she supposedly sold to you is her new Angelina by Romie Strydom. Why didn’t she use that money to help her sister?

5 Likes

Oh man, I’m really starting to worry now… yes, I agree the posting did feel a little off when I read it. The price was definitely “too good to be true” but when I contacted her to inquire about the doll she was actually pretty responsive and also sent me a requested safety photo with the date on it and a photo of the back of the hair (which I requested). The hair in the back of the doll is definitely thinning, so to me that made it seem more plausible that she’d be selling for a lower price. I’m not sure how much she paid for the doll originally but since that Ebay auction didn’t result in a sale, maybe she contacted the seller and arranged payment separately and perhaps got the doll for $900 (I’m just guessing here), which makes the $300 sale for a used doll not altogether inplausible. I’m going to give her a couple more days… if her story is true, then her family is going through a lot, but I will plan to contact Paypal next week if I don’t hear from her. I hope it does work out because the baby is super cute (I had no idea there was a silicone version of Kameko that existed!). I’ll keep you all posted… and any other opinions / thoughts totally welcome.

1 Like

The Angelina I believe belongs to the person who posted right after the original post.

3 Likes

Okay. I misread that and jumped to conclusions. My bad. I really hope I’m wrong and you get your baby.

1 Like

I really hope so too! I’ll keep you all posted and keep my fingers crossed. When I logged into Paypal, the recommended waiting 7 days from payment before opening a claim. I’m glad I paid using Goods and Services (vs. Friends and Family, which I have done in the past at seller’s request, but I only did so with sellers who had a TON of positive feedback on Doll-Fan) so it looks like I should be protected if I don’t receive the baby as promised.

2 Likes

Awe Lynn I’m hoping for the best!!! :heartpulse:

I thought PayPal transactions went straight through.I have sent out babies within hours of receiving payments.It always says safe to ship now as soon as I get a payment.

1 Like

I thought so too – when we were arranging payment she asked if it was possible to send the money “Walmart to Walmart” but I had never heard of it so I asked if we could do Paypal and she agreed. She said Paypal usually requires 1 business day to clear into her account. I selected the bank account option but paid via “goods and services” to ensure the money would arrive as quickly as possible. Anyway, I know for sure the money has cleared and she has my shipping address, so I’m not sure of the delay, but I don’t want to unnecessarily panic. Hopefully it works out…

2 Likes

She’s been trying to sell that baby for months on FB. Originally she was asking for close to $1000. Hope everything works out for you. :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

I hope it works out also.I would send another email asking for the tracking number ,just to be on the safe side.

1 Like

Glad you didn’t use Walmart to Walmart. You would have had no protection that way at all. You did the right thing paying the way you did. I hope she does the right thing and you get the doll you paid for and it’s in good condition.

3 Likes

I’ve used Walmart to Walmart twice for small purchases. You just go there with the cash, your ID and the name of the received and which Walmart it’s going to. They pick up the money on there end. There is a small fee for this. It’s good for sellers in that the customer can’t have ‘buyer’s remorse’ and just get their money back. Somewhat risky for buyers who don’t know the seller because if the item isn’t sent they have no recourse.

1 Like

Good to know regarding Walmart to Walmart. I’m really glad I didn’t go with that option.

Izzy, thanks so much for the background on this doll. It makes sense to me now why she’d be selling it for so low if it sat for months on the market with no takers at the higher price.

Let’s hope everything works out. I’m keeping my fingers crossed!

2 Likes

Yes, I requested a tracking number in my most recent email to her. (well, in one of the last couple emails I sent in the past 2 days)

1 Like

I did send her a couple PMs on doll fan but doesn’t look like she has read them.

1 Like

I checked the eBay listing on that baby, it said it was unsold with 0 bids. And her whole post sounds like a scam and everything she said sounds like a scam. I would open a case right now if it were me. Good luck and sorry you are dealing with this.

3 Likes