Are certificates important?

Just wondering if customers mind a Realborn without the COA/certificate? Do you explain that the kit was bought as a seconds so therefore it has no certificate?

I normally buy the Realborns on sale so they have a certificate but I purchased a couple of kits yesterday that are seconds and it got me to thinking about this. I can send along another birth certificate, it just won’t be the same as the authentic one.

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I’m new at this, so my customers tend to not be big time collectors. But so far, none of mine have cared to get the certificate. I actually have certificates on all the realborns I’ve sold. But I forgot to mail a few of them. The customers all said don’t worry about it. But I also have several seconds realborns to make and I wonder how to handle the certificate issue. As for second quality…I’ve never had any kits with issues I couldn’t fix. So I don’t see any reason to mention that it’s a seconds if it no longer has issues. (Removable black spots is all I’ve had to deal with on seconds.)

3 Likes

I list all my dolls as coming with a birth certificate, then send along whatever I have. Firsts with a coa, fine. Seconds get a birth certificate that I make. Nobody seems to care. And if I had to guess, most probably wouldn’t except for serious collectors and those purchasing higher end dolls.

7 Likes

I send mine with a birth card/certificate and the COA if I have it. If I don’t have the COA I don’t worry about it. In the 9 plus years I’ve been reborning I have only been ask 1 time about the COA.

4 Likes

I have seen other people have a pain in the butt customer due to no COA. They thought that meant the kit used (2nds) was defective and not mentioned.

I just grabbed a 2nds realborn too and in my description I will state that it was a 2nds kit with no COA and what issue I found that it had. (Normally dirt or a dent… maybe a spot, etc)

3 Likes

If mine has a COA then I state that in my description. If it doesn’t I just don’t mention it. No issues so far!

1 Like

I rarely make Limited edition kits, except for Bonnie and Tippi Cradle kits (which come with a COA) and have a drawer full of those COAs , from over the years, that I forgot to send. I don’t think I ever had a buyer ask for one… thinking about it

2 Likes

Well alrighty, then! Looks like I can save a boatload of money buying 2nds on sale! Thanks, everyone!

6 Likes

I do not mention that they are seconds kits and I make a list of the items that will come with the baby

Baby will come with:
Diapers
Headband
Outfit
Mag paci
Plushie
Receiving blanket

And then I just don’t mention a COA if I do not have one.

6 Likes

Same here! I don’t see any reason to mention it as a seconds kit. People who want a certificate will notice when it’s not listed. It’s their responsibility to ask before buying. If they ask, I’ll tell them. So far, nobody has cared.

3 Likes

Somehow, my partner manages to steal all my babies that I’ve made with COAs … hmm. But I know she just sort of keeps them in a drawer, never really sure what to do with them. I presume most collectors are the same way, some may want it if they ever decide to resell, but then does it really matter since the doll is used anyway? I rarely actually mention whether the kit was seconds or not, either. I’ve bought first quality kits from other retailers with lower quality than some of BB’s seconds, so I don’t think it’s relevant; what’s relevant are any issues with the doll, and oftentimes seconds kits don’t leave any apparent issues.

I’ve only seen buyers really ask about COAs in the FB groups when the kit is known to have knockoffs, but honestly, most collectors aren’t even sure what kits have COAs and what kits don’t, as most of the kits I know of that have been knocked off didn’t come with COAs to begin with. I don’t think it matters to most until you’re getting into the $600-ish range. For that reason, I’d definitely be upfront if the customer asks of course, but otherwise I just wouldn’t bother mentioning it in the listing.

Good info, thanks everyone!

I’ve been a doll collector most of my life and back when I was collecting Himstedts, Masterpiece, etc. the certificate or COA was very important so that’s what I’ve only been buying realborn kits with certificates…until July 4th and that 2nds sale was too good to pass up :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve always thought a reborn with a COA would be worth more to a collector than one without one. Maybe not, but it probably depends on the buyer.
I would think anyone buying the LE ones that are numbered and signed by the sculptor would probably expect to get the COA. But maybe just the printed certificate without the numbers like the kind that comes with most of the Realborns isn’t as important.
I’d pretty sure I’d expect to get it if I paid big money for a reborn that was supposed to have one.

2 Likes

I think they are pretty to look at but I always misplace them. To me its just a piece of paper. I don’t intend to reborn to sell just as a hobby so it really doesn’t matter to me about the coa.

1 Like

I don’t really see what a certificate proves anyway. I have several certificates from dolls I’ve made but didn’t send the certificate. I could easily buy a seconds kit of the exact same kit and throw the certificate in with it. Nobody would ever know if the certificate really came with that kit or not. :thinking:

2 Likes

Ask Melissa about her crappy customer.

Said customer went onto facebook and made a big post about “if it was deceiving that no COA/2nds kit was not stated”

Most buyers agreed with her and said they would want a refund if they bought a doll that was “supposed” to have it and it wasnt stated it was a 2nds kit.

Yep. As a collector, I want a COA. If I were to sell one without, I would say so in the listing.

Looks like my Mom will be getting a couple of realborns :roll_eyes:

1 Like

As long as there isnt a bad defect or such I would reborn as normal and list… But state that it was a seconds kit with no COA and that you did not see any issues with the kit, or if there is mention it, and add pics.

1 Like

Honesty is always the best policy ~ I would mention no COA and that it was a seconds kit but I don’t think I will sell those. Luckily my Mom loves my work and doesn’t care about COA’s :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d think that a COA would be important if buying a blank kit just to make sure it isn’t a fake- if it’s supposed to come with one. If it’s just with realborns then that’s easy to prove. If someone asks, just say it’s a sale kit and it didn’t come with one- they do that sometimes.I would disclose it if it was something that could really pose a problem.I have many 2nds and haven’t come across any with spots yet.

2 Likes