Anyone use this

Anyone ever try this varnish? I’m looking for an air dry varnish to try on my current wip

2 Likes

That’s what I use…or the soft touch version in the purple label. I am an air dry girl, and I think this stuff works great.

2 Likes

Do u use it straight or dilute and add cornstarch

1 Like

I use it very frequently. It works excellent for me, very matte, sometimes I mix it with soft touch but it’s great on it’s own as well.

1 Like

Ultra matte has been shinier for me in the past. I prefer soft touch

3 Likes

I use that brand of Soft Touch Varnish. I really like it because it doesn’t leave a sandpapery feel.

1 Like

That’s what I use. I find Soft touch being shinny over time, at least faster than this one !
It gave a nice skin texture but keep the feeling soft.
I sometimes mix it with Golden polymer matt varnish and really like the result.
You can also mix some matting powder in it.

1 Like

Yeah I find the Americana gets shiny too quick and I’ve switched over to Golden polymer matte too

2 Likes

OK I thought it was just me. The old Deco Art STV was better than the Americana.STV. I mix cornstarch and Food Grade DE in with the Amaricana Decor (purple bottle).

I didn’t read all the answers, but I definitely read before that someone said that this Ultra-Matte is not matte at all and has shine. I used Americana with purple label.

1 Like

That is true it does have shine. I have some but don’t use it because of that. But it works for Alternative things, lol. :grin:

I used it a few years ago and found it to have sheen. I use Golden Polymer Varnish and/or Duraclear Ultra Matte Varnich and add corn starch as well as Diatomaceous Earth.

I just finished a baby and used this varnish (with cornstarch) and it came out very nice but I did find it a little bit ‘grittier’ than the DecoArt soft touch varnish.

1 Like

Angie, I have some RebornFX Ultra Matte Varnish, is it good to use? It looks a little bit grayish (not completely white). Have you used it and did you add the corn starch/matting powder?

2 Likes

So I work grave shift at a nursing home and layed down shortly after posting this .while I was sleeping my husband ordered it for me .Do u guys think if I did a corn starch and de mix it would keep from having as much of a sheen to it ?

Make sure any time you use an air dry varnish that you mix it REALLY well first. then do the corn starch thing and it will be fine.

1 Like

Thank you

I’m surprised so many people find it shiny. I wonder if it has inconsistent batches. I’ve only used the same jar I bought over a year ago and it’s really matte. I would recommend mixing it very very well and doing one thin layer to see if you have a matte batch or one that goes shiny and if it’s not matte for you add the cornstarch recipe to your additional layers.

I didn’t like it myself but you might. It seemed more like a primer finish than a varnish to me and it had sheen.

1 Like

Thanks, then I won’t bother with it. I really don’t even remember buying it. What is your favorite Varnish? I just want to use one, not have to use a couple of different ones. Make sense?! @anjsmiles