Anyone done peeky eyes?

I have a set of bonnets that I think would be perfect for a set of twins, so I was thinking of doing twins A and B, but I like twins where one is awake and one is asleep. I was thinking of trying to open one of the twins eyes to do the peeky look, but I’ve never tried it before. Anyone who has experience doing this able to give some pointers? Or see if either of the twins eyes would be a good fit for the peeky look?

1 Like

I’ve done them, but only on kits that had clearly defined eyelid creases like BB Maggie. The twins don’t have them. You could still do it but you should draw the cutting lines first (a prisma pencil would work because it wipes off) or it will be hard to keep them the right shape. I smooth the edges with acetone on a Q-tip. It takes a little time but it’s necessary if you don’t want rough or uneven edges. They also don’t have any eye sockets so placing the eyes can be tricky. If you use half round eyes, (acrylic works best for this) without flat backs, you can hold them in place with magnets. Put glue around the edge of the lids, hold a magnet in the eyeball with your finger while you put it in place. Then put another magnet on the outside of the lids, (not glued) until the glue dries. When you take off the outer magnet, the inner one should fall off and you can shake it out of the head. Put crosswise strips + of moleskin across the backs of the eyes for added stability. Do them one at a time. With no sockets it’s easier to keep them in place.

5 Likes

The magnets idea is awesome! I did this one time on a kit that had one open eye. I opened the other eye so it would have 2 peeky eyes. I thought I would NEVER get that eye to hold in place with glue!

1 Like

My son was the one who suggested the magnets when I was in tears of frustration after trying for 3 days to get those eyes to stay in place. I thought it was an absolute genius simple solution.

4 Likes

That’s super smart. I don’t plan on ever doing peeky eyes but this will help me glue eyes on my awake babies! Jean, you’re so damn smart. And your son!!! Way to go!

2 Likes

@PaperCityDolls has I believe

1 Like

I might have to see if I can find a cheap head with similar eyelids to practice on, I’d be so nervous to mess up the head of a more expensive kit. :grimacing:

1 Like

Probably a good idea. It’s just a little bit tricky.

1 Like

I agree @PaperCityDolls is an expert at that.

1 Like

I would definitely see if you can practice on a different head first. I tried to do them twice and both times they were a disaster and destroyed my kits :frowning: However I have seen several that were done and looked amazing, they really looked like they were sculpted that way. I know I saw one someone did on here several years back, but I can’t remember who did them.

2 Likes

I just saw this Pip on rebornsdotcom that the artist opened the eyes and I think this is my favorite peeky eyed baby I’ve seen so far, I think he looks so realistic!

https://www.reborns.com/item.cgi?item=94032&page=8&find=pip

2 Likes

He really does.

1 Like

I think I’ll wait on trying the peeking eyes until I’m feeling a bit more brave. In the meantime, does anyone think Corvin and Junis Altenkirch would make good twins?

3 Likes