air dry paint

For those of you who use the air dry paints, what brand do you recommend (I’ve seen a couple brands mentioned on my search here) and where do you get them? I am out of flesh tone and matte sealer, and just need to get my hands on a few pots! So far my internet search has turned up nothing.

So far I use the luminaire paints but I’m looking at a couple of others. See the post on the delta permenamel where someone was trying that. I’ve researched a couple of better quality artists acrylics too. I want to experiment with some different ones so let me know what you try. BB posted that they don’t sell air dry because the paints sold as being for dolls are just regular acrylics. It’s in their post on improving service.

I tried just cheap paint from Walmart on a practice doll when I ran out of the bloomers and bows paint. I didn’t like the results but liked the shade in the bottle! I may have been putting it on too thick but it looked chalky and didn’t seem to mix into the water as well.

Luminaires have been great so far. I use very little of their sealer. I use the delta ceramacoat satin and if that is too shiny, I thin the luminaire sealer way down with water before using it. It will dull down the paint too much plus leaves the doll feeling rough instead of silky. But I have discovered it works better to thin the sealer down to especially the layer before painting that they recommend. It might not look like it is sticking but all you need is a thin layer. Too much and the doll feels sticky. Or at least that is the problem I’ve had.

1 Like

Thank you for the tips!!
I went ahead and ordered from luninaire.
Can i use linseed oil with air dry paints?( so it looks less chalky)

Thanks for the tips

gramajudyb, what do you use to thin your paint? So far, I’ve just used water but have heard since that you shouldn’t. However, I haven’t had any real problems with the paint adhereing. Some problems with stickiness but found out that might be using the varnish to seal it, using too much of it and not letting it cure. Still learning. Seems like I mess up too often still! Other ones don’t have the stickiness problem so trying to figure it out. Just was wondering if you use acrylic thinner or water?
I plan to get Jo Sonja’s or something similar if it is available in the town I’m going to today. I’m about out of flesh Luminaire anyway. Plus the sealer to use instead of the varnish.

how much rubbing alcohol to how much paint? and do you apply the same way?

I have read lately of some ladies who are now using a product by Liquitex called Ultra Matte Gel. It is my understanding that it will work with any brand if air dry acrylic paints. Debbie Henshaw has been using it with LDC paints instead of the LDC thinner. She has blogged about it here:

http://theynevergrowupnursery.blogspot. … today.html
http://theynevergrowupnursery.blogspot. … sting.html
http://theynevergrowupnursery.blogspot. … ultra.html
http://theynevergrowupnursery.blogspot. … ultra.html

I’ve had problems with alcohol when I’ve tried to fix small mistakes using a q-tip and alcohol and removed all the paint from that area. So I was confused when you said you used alcohol to thin the paint. Been reading online trying to find an answer as to why it didn’t work for me and found this:
*When dry, acrylic paint is generally non-removable from a solid surface. Water or mild solvents do not re-solubilize it, although isopropyl alcohol can lift some fresh paint films off. * Acrylic paint - Wikipedia
Still trying to figure out what to use as a thinner before I start a new doll. With the ones I’ve gotten half-painted or painted, it’s too late. They were thinned using water and I’m not stripping them! Hoping for the best. So far, the paint hasn’t had a problem and on some it has been a year or more.

The more I read about alcohol and acrylics the more confused I get! Mostly comments by artists who use it. Examples below:!!!

*Alcohol is one of the few substances that can dissolve dried acrylic paint. The degree of success depends upon the color and thickness of the paint. Some colors are staining colors and will not be removed completely. If you plan to use it to thin your paints, be careful since the alcohol weakens the binding power of the acrylic medium. If you use too much alcohol in thinned washes, you may find that your dried paint will be lifted off the painting surface by later brush strokes.

• BeeCeeEss

*Alcohol has two negatives (in the case of doing washes. for other effects alcohol is great)

1. it evaporates much faster than water

2. even a small amount of alcohol will destroy the binders that make your paint stick to canvas (or whatever substrate you use)

Water only has one I can see

1. Too much can damage how effective the binders are* rwebb
    from Archive - WetCanvas: Online Living for Artists … 29720.html
    Part of it may be the type of acrylics you use - water based or oil based such as acrylic enamels. Apparently the alcohol can even be used to clean dried paint of brushes. Too many opinions on it. Plus people using vodka, window cleaner, etc. mostly for air brushing. Just wondering if using alcohol to thin the luminaire or artist acrylic paint is going to dissolve the delta sealant or any coats I’ve already done? Before I try it and disolve all the layers like I did while trying to lighten a vein color!!!

Another quote:
Rubbing Alcohol - While it is true that rubbing alchol can help you remove dried acrylic paint from your brushes (sometimes) or off your favorite pair of jeans (even more of a longshot), it is not an appropriate thinner for your acrylic paint. http://acrylicpaintreview.com/acrylic-1 … lic-paint/