A very stupid mistake!

Ok everyone… the past week or so I’ve been working diligently on a couple kits, and everything was going completely wrong :sob:
I was having problems with paint sticking, so I applied matte varnish to both kits. No dice, paint still looked uneven and patchy and terrible. I was getting pretty bummed out, thinking maybe I just suck at painting, guessing i lost my spark after taking a little break from painting the past few weeks.
Today I decided to look at the bag of sponges I had been using, and right on the front, in hot pink font, it said “WITH ADDED VITAMIN E OIL FOR SKIN HEALTH!!”
:woman_facepalming: whoops! Clearly i need to read before purchasing LOL. Switched to different sponges, everything is better now! :laughing: posting in case any one else suddenly starts having issues… check your sponges and don’t be stupid like me!!! :laughing:

13 Likes

I almost bought those one time! Already had them in the cart and everything before I caught it.

1 Like

I’m glad to know it’s not just me then! :laughing: i think what happened was when i bought multiple packs of them, only one was marked “vitamin E oil”, and i just looked at the top few

1 Like

Omg! Glad you figured it out. If you had thrown away the package, you probably wouldn’t have ever known!

2 Likes

I actually dug it out of the trash to check!!! :laughing: i needed to make sure i wasn’t completely losing my mind

2 Likes

I don’t wear liquid make-up, but I’d think it would interfere with that too. Idk why you’d want oil in an application sponge. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Right? I thought the same thing. Seems odd to me.

1 Like

I’ve used these(they have vitamin E)for years and never had a problem. I use them for painting and for my makeup application.
https://www.sallybeauty.com/just-ask-sally/sally-favorites/medium-ultra-wedge-40ct./SBS-168085.html

1 Like

Really? That’s interesting!!! Do you use GHSP or air dry? Maybe it’s the amount of vitamin e in the sponges? Or the type of thinner? I use GHSP and gamsol thinner

I use GHSP and Mona Lisa. Yes, I’m sure it has to do with how much VitE is in the sponges.

1 Like

I’ve used them before and there was no difference. I always buy the bountiful baby ones but I have used those before 2 times and nothing bad happened. GHSP painter also

Ah! Another case of what works for someone doesn’t work for everyone. So much of this hobby seems like trial and error and inconsistency.

1 Like

Sometimes when I have used Gamsol as my thinner it streaks or doesn’t go on evenly, blotchy. I use Mona Lisa for my thinner and have no problem with uneven paint. I use GHSP. :footprints: :baby:

1 Like

Love the BB ones!

1 Like

They are the best.

I think it’s the Gamsol more than the vitamin E. I’ve been using vitamin E sponges for about 4 years (I can’t find ones without it any more in my area) and have had no issues. But when I use Gamsol I notice paint not adhering as well sometimes or more blotchiness, and my mottling looks less crisp. I use Gamsol only for washes now and for painting hair, and Mona Lisa for everything else.

1 Like

Forgot to mention that Gamsol is oilier and dries slower, too.