Will This Closeness Burn The Doll’s Head- Problem solved. I Found an EXTENDER RING

Hi Artists

So yesterday I planned to get back to reborn painting again almost 3 years later. But now I realized just as I was about to dry Amelia’s head after washing it, that the head seems a bit too close to the heating element.

Please tell me if it is too close enough to melt? If yes can I use our kitchen oven? Anyone who used kitchen oven after how long do you use the oven for food again

2 Likes

I don’t bake, but definitely don’t use the kitchen oven! Heated vinyl releases toxic substances that you do not want around your food.
Most people use an extender ring.

2 Likes

That head will definitely scorch or melt or get soft without an extender

3 Likes

Too close. You need an extender ring for the big babies. Don’t use your kitchen oven. You don’t want the fumes to cling to your oven and affect your food. People used to do it but it’s really not safe.

3 Likes

:cry::cry::cry:

1 Like

sigh :cold_sweat::sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Looks like the oven I have, mine has an extender ring and I have melted some of my larger heads from being to close to the heating element and it was still a good three inches plus away. I found mine at Salvation Army for $40 and an actual nu wave at goodwill for $10 (non digital). I found a digital nuwave at a garage sale for $25 but was broke at the time. Deals are out there, check Craigslist and Facebook marketplace for a complete oven or an extender ring

3 Likes

Thank you. I will be checking. Until then I will pack my dolls and paints again because I have 3 toddlers to paint.

2 Likes

Oh boy! Have you though of trying air dry paints?

2 Likes

You can buy just the extender ring on Amazon if you know what model NuWave you have.

2 Likes

It’s not Nuwave but a South African made convection oven. It doesn’t have an extender ring.

1 Like

I wonder if it has an extender ring available.

2 Likes

Not at all. I’m new at reborning. Well I’ve painted only two dolls. I spent my money on GHSP so I can’t spend again on other paints yet.
I found a company in SA that sells the ring but it’s currently out of stock.

1 Like

Way too close. You always need to use an extender ring to bake reborns and some larger ones need 2 extender rings to get the element high enough to not damage the vinyl!

2 Likes

Noted. Thank you

Amazon! What kind of oven do you have? It looks like a sharper image?

1 Like

It’s this one. Made in South Africa. I have good news, my sister has a convection oven with an extender ring. I hope it fits on mine as I think they are standard size. Otherwise I will ask her to borrow me her oven. :dancer:t4: :dancer:t4::dancer:t4::dancer:t4:

2 Likes

Thank you ladies for all your helps and tips. I’m excited to tell you that I found an extender ring. My sister has a Le Morgan convection oven with an extender ring. If the extender doesn’t fit on mine I will ask her to borrow me her oven.
Can the convection oven be thoroughly washed and used for food again? Mine has only be used for the dolls.

1 Like

I wouldn’t. The residue from the paints and vinyl when baked can get into tiny crevices and be hard to get out. Trace amounts of bad chemicals could still get into your food. It’s best to have a dedicated oven for dolls.

1 Like

Oh OK. Noted. Thank you. I pray the ring works on my oven.

2 Likes