Why I don't use an oven but wish I could

I have a question that I’ve not seen asked elsewhere.

Does anyone here have pet birds? I ask because I’ve been using ADP instead of GHSP, because I’m afraid to bake babies in my home oven. Finances and space prevent me from getting a smaller oven to bake them in, so that’s not an option. I’m very concerned that fumes from the dolls/paint could kill my birds, and so far, that’s not a risk I’m willing to take. But the heat gun is taking it’s toll on me. It’s heavy, and I can’t ever be sure I’ve hit all the spots to set GHSP correctly. Any thoughts?

I don’t use the GHSP because of my allergies. It didn’t occur to me that the fumes might hurt the ferret but it should have because they are sensitive to fumes. I would think that if they are able to handle the fumes from the heat gun, that the oven would actually produce less fumes and be better. Especially if you use the fan over the stove. I know that some people worry about using their home oven so you’d have to decide whether that is going to bother you. I am just sticking with the air dry paint for now. It’s easier than trying to invest more into this and learning new techniques and taking the chance of putting money into it and finding out I’m allergic. Just hope you get better answers.

I started out with a set of air dry paints and switched to GHSP I would never go back. I do not think I am getting fumes as long as I bake at 260 for 8 minutes. I have been using thew Mona Lisa thinner. Maybe this helps. My dogs do not seem to be affected. Nor did the baby ducks I raised in my house.I have an open floor plan so they were in the room with my baking.

I started out using ADP, but the company has since gone out of business. I can’t afford right now to invest in more paints, but I would LOVE to try Luminaires. I’m trying to get BB to look into getting ADP, but nothing on that front yet.

I have leftover paint from Bloomers and Bows that you had to mix in mediums with and have tried craft acrylic paint. But I like the luminaire the best so far. But today I got some new colors at Michaels just to try to redo two dolls. One tube is the more expensive Golden acrylic paint, the other two are the cheap Americana acrylic. In the past, I wasn’t quite as happy with the craft paint for flesh but then my memory comes and goes so I decided to try it again in the darker colors just because it was on sale and I didn’t absolutely have to use those two colors. I got the Golden fluid acrylic paint instead of the heavy acrylic since I need the liquid anyway.

I guess the arguement will go on forever about whether the end results on an air dry baby can measure up in quality. A few people have acheived that so I keep thinking that there is hope for me! As for selling them, I think it is going to depend on the consumer’s opinions and that is something that won’t be decided for a while. Since I’ve never used GHSP, I don’t know what I’m missing!

My David Michael and Connor were both painted with ADP, and some GHSP. I haven’t noticed them scratching off, but maybe that’s because they were lighter skin toned.

I’m frustrated by her coloring, and my lack of proper work accessories, so I haven’t done ANYTHING for several weeks. Then I come here and look at all the beautiful babies, and I WANT to do something, but again…lack of proper accessories halts me.

I haven’t noticed fumes unless I don’t let the thinner flash off before baking

It isn’t just the fumes. Here is an article about the dangers of using your baking oven for reborns- http://www.hunnybunsrebornsupply.com/_h … _sullivan_It can be scary.

— Begin quote from “Liselle”

I started out using ADP, but the company has since gone out of business. I can’t afford right now to invest in more paints, but I would LOVE to try Luminaires. I’m trying to get BB to look into getting ADP, but nothing on that front yet.

— End quote

It would be great if BB started carrying ADP!

I used Bloomers and Bows paint for most of my kits. But since Kyra, I’m beginning to think the paints are too old to use or something. They simply didn’t set right. Even after a couple of coats of matte finish, the color would still scratch off under my nail. So I don’t know if I did something wrong with it, or what, but I did start using GHSP, with my heat gun.

I had emailed BB several times about getting ADP, whether it was Luminaire or something else. Last I checked, and it’s been a while, they were still looking into it.

If anyone else uses ADP, email BB and let them know there IS a market for them to carry ADP. I think that’s why they don’t, because they don’t realize how many ppl use it.

I think BB wrote that they weren’t going to carry it because acrylic paint is available everywhere. Somewhere in that long post where they were asking for opinions. Their conclusion was that the paints being sold as “specially for reborning” was just acrylic paints mixed to the right shades, not a special blend. Plus I guess they figure you can order it from enough other suppliers like luminaire. Still would be nice if they had it so you could combine shipping and maybe they could set it up where you could order more individual colors. That’s why I didn’t order the Native American set from luminaire. I already have half of the colors and don’t need them. I haven’t had a problem with the color staying on once the top coat is on unless I’m really rough with a doll. The luminaire will scratch some prior to that or even wash off. But that could be me using the wrong stuff to first seal the doll. I’m going to find out today when I get a layer or two on the ones I sealed yesterday. Wish me luck!

I started out using the GHSP, but had to stop after a few months because the fumes from the baking was causing me to have health problems. I am just one of those that are sensitive to the fumes. I switched to the ADP and have been using them for 3 years now. I have been very happy with the results and the quality.

Your babies are the ones I’ve been drooling over! So glad to know you use air dry paint to make them! Hoping someday to make some like yours. I went online yesterday and looked at your mexican baby on etsy. He’s what made me decide to just strip my poor Native American ones and start over…LOL!

Id like to find out about air dry paints but i have heard that it takes two weeks to cure, i couldnt deal with that because it already takes me a month to make one doll

As for your birds—maybe talk to a vet for some input. I have very little fumes if I am sure that all the thinner has flashed off. I have been using my oven for dolls and food for 4 years and so far all has been good.

— Begin quote from “djjessie228”

Your babies are the ones I’ve been drooling over! So glad to know you use air dry paint to make them! Hoping someday to make some like yours. I went online yesterday and looked at your mexican baby on etsy. He’s what made me decide to just strip my poor Native American ones and start over…LOL!

— End quote

Thank you so much and I’m glad you like my babies. If you would like to see all the ones I have done you can go to my website which the link is below my Aisha siggy. I have tried to note on there which type of paints I used on each one and believe me I have tried several. When I first started I probably stripped ever other baby, but now I hardly strip them at all. Time and patience as I always tell myself.

I was wondering if you use the sealer and the thinner more now? I noticed on your website that you said that you don’t use much sealer and that you use water to thin the paint but thought maybe you had changed that. I’ve seen so many people say you have to use the thinner instead of water that I bought some flow medium yesterday but I haven’t used it yet. I did use the sealant on the last two that I restarted last night but put on a coat full strength instead of diluting it. They aren’t sticky but they are shiny. Hoping to get started painting on them in a few. Let me know about the thinner and sealer. Thanks.

Rainbow, your color mix chart on your website is great!

— Begin quote from “djjessie228”

I was wondering if you use the sealer and the thinner more now? I noticed on your website that you said that you don’t use much sealer and that you use water to thin the paint but thought maybe you had changed that. I’ve seen so many people say you have to use the thinner instead of water that I bought some flow medium yesterday but I haven’t used it yet. I did use the sealant on the last two that I restarted last night but put on a coat full strength instead of diluting it. They aren’t sticky but they are shiny. Hoping to get started painting on them in a few. Let me know about the thinner and sealer. Thanks.

— End quote

I still only use water to thin my paints. I do add a little liquitex ultra matte gel to my paint mix to help reduce the shine and it also helps the paint adhere better to the vinyl. I still cannot find an acrylic sealer that I like and one that does not leave a shine. I still use the genesis heat set varnish to seal my dolls. I do not use any thinners with it and I bake it on my outside patio. Since I only bake them once or maybe twice I don’t have the health issue from the fumes like I did when I was using the GHSP and baking constantly. If anyone has found a sealer that does not leave a shine please let me know because I would love to find one.

— Begin quote from “GinB”

Rainbow, your color mix chart on your website is great!

— End quote

Thank you Virginia. I did this chart several years ago when I wanted to take an online class where they used the GHSP. Not being one that gives up easy I went and experimented with the JoSonja’s paint to get a mix to match the GHSP skin colors. I decided to document it and publish on my website for those that ran into the same or similar issue.