Whiting out a kit

Hi all maybe someone can answer. I saw a post mentioned a prototype type artist whiting out their kit before starting. Does anyone know who that is? I feel its Bianca Franke or Alexa Calvo. 2 of my absolute favorites. Their work is remarkable. They get such depth to their babies.

1 Like

Following:)

Do you mean like a white wash?

1 Like

Yes to make the kit white

Humm…that’s interesting. I’ll be watching.

Jackie O. does that as well. (I guess this site won’t let me say her name.) It’s my favorite way to start a kit. :grinning:

I’m curious too. I’ve been lightening my orange kits with a yellow and white mix but not full white…

This is all very inters for when I start lol

1 Like

I’ve done something similar with several kits, to make them more neutral to start with. I use white, touches of Flesh 08, and touch of yellow white. Paint on no more than two layers per bake as this method can go chalky looking. Keep the creases clean.

1 Like

You get good results then?

1 Like

The several times I’ve done it, I have liked the results. Just have to be super careful not to get chalky creases and all. Use thin layers, no more than two applied before baking. Here is Yannie, who was a very orange kit. I used this method on him, and I was pleased that he wasn’t orangey when I completed him. It helped knock the orange way down.

3 Likes

He looks great! Did you use flesh tones after or just colored washes?

1 Like

I used both some flesh tones as a base and then colored washes, including some primary color washes.

1 Like

I white my kits out to start so as to lay a base for future color washes.

1 Like

I may try in a couple months

1 Like

I have tried it, especially on very peachy kits. You need to be careful if you are too heavy with white you get a chalky-ish baby and some colors can look muddy.

2 Likes

I didn’t know why but when I mention that name here it was erase instantly. Now after learning why I respect that but yes, I saw a video of her doing a white wash, but even though she didn’t mentioned I think she mix the white paint with another medium, you know sometimes artist don’t reveal all in one video. It would be interesting to know what that other medium is?.