When did you decide to sell?

I’m up to my neck in kits that will keep me busy all summer…they’re for me, supposedly. But in retrospect, what in heck am I going to do with all those dolls? After you put so much TLC into each one, isn’t it difficult to part with them? Do you get used to it? What were your reasons to sell…like running out of room?
Need your advice, 'cause I can’t stop now!

Rhonda, It’s all in the mind set… I make every baby with the intent to sell…unless of course they are customs and then I’m so excited because they already have a mom and I am making them with a real purpose!!! When I made my little Harry Potter character babies I assumed another Potter fan would buy them and now as I am working on new little ones I just imagine who may be looking for them. So far it has not gotten easier to say goodbye, pack them up and take them to the post office…it’s really hard in fact …but I am NOT a collector…I do this to share them with others. See…all in the mind set

I have given all of mine to my granddaughters and a niece until this latest one that was an order after she saw my “pageant baby” and wanted to have one with brown hair and blue eyes as a gift for her mother who collects babies. I was so pleased that she was so impressed that I am having a ball finishing this baby that already has a home. It is however a bit like selling a puppy that you had around for a while… I had to put the “pageant baby” upstairs because I kept repositioning her and smiling every time I walked past the laundry room… I am concerned that I might be going over the edge, 3 kits arrived today and I don’t have a clue that I will be able to sell them when they are finished. I think what has been the most fun though is shopping for little outfits for them to wear and making big bows for them…oh and we must not overlook the matching pacifiers…

I’d sell my dolls only to get dolly dollars for new kits, from a few authors whose kits I haven’t tried yet. AND I’m seriously running out of space in my tiny, tiny apartment! I’ve sold only one doll so far, and to a member of my family. I would probably sell all of them except perhaps Berenguer Rosebud because he’s so difficult to get. I’m glad I’ve sold that particular doll, because it was one of my favorites, and I know it’s in good hands
I’m thinking of trying my luck on Ebay or Etsy. My country is a lousy place to sell dolls like these. Everyone would love to have one, but when they hear the price, they’re in shock.

Stephanie, I agree! We are getting better wirh each baby However, my Rosebud was one of my “firsts” and I love that hard to find face Also, I wouldn’t want to part with my signature baby (Honey), which was also one of my first dolls. I was kind of surprised with the way she turned out. I had very little expectations from that kit when I first saw it. She looked kind of “evil” and “arrogant” without any paint or hair LOL But if anyone wanted to buy her at the price I’m asking, I’d sell her and probably order another one right away!

Thanks, girls, that was very helpful. I was afraid I was too wierd or crazy being so attached to them, and always looking to buy more! Now I know there are lots of other wierd and crazy ladies out there, too! Space will become a problem eventually, and I don’t think I could every put them in a box to put away for a while. I love, love, love doing this and wish I could devote all my days to it…maybe when I order, I should order 2, one for me and one to sell! Thanks again!

Windyday, I know what you mean! I had ordered a whole bunch of kits, particularly when they were on sale, but not everything needed to complete a kit. Sooo…the other day I ordered all the “other” stuff…bodies, eyes, lashes, mohair, etc. My darling husband didn’t even blink when he saw the debit in the checkbook for over $200! Just on little stuff! Not even a new doll! But at least I’ll have what I need to complete each one. I told him I would take it out of my paycheck account and put it into the household account, but he said I didn’t have to. Whew! I’m still going to do it though…gotta keep the man satisfied!! I so much want to order new babies with no reasonable explanation! I’m a lost cause!

I am starting to worry about myself too!! LOL!!!

For me, I like the whole process. It’s fun, relaxing and challenging artisically. Then so rewarding and enjoying to have the baby for a while to look at and to dress. But I also enjoy the selling process. It is nice to know that someone not only appreciates my work but that it brings them happiness too.

My first sale just walked out my door and left me with $250.00 and just a little sad to see her go. She is going to be sent to her mother who lives out of state and collects some Ashton Drake dolls… The lady that bought the baby was so thrilled and is SO excited thinking about how thrilled her mother is going to be when she opens that box… I have a feeling that there will be a shopping trip before the baby gets mailed off. She left with her 13 year old daughter carrying the baby just like she is real… I LOVE doing this!!

I’m not a collector since I started reborning, but find myself a little sad to see them go~some more than others. I guess we all have our favorites. I’m a “foster mom” to these little ones and happy that they are going to a loving home. I keep their pics in a folder and often look at them as a reminder. I know…a little weird.

— Begin quote from “pia”

My first sale just walked out my door and left me with $250.00 and just a little sad to see her go. She is going to be sent to her mother who lives out of state and collects some Ashton Drake dolls… The lady that bought the baby was so thrilled and is SO excited thinking about how thrilled her mother is going to be when she opens that box… I have a feeling that there will be a shopping trip before the baby gets mailed off. She left with her 13 year old daughter carrying the baby just like she is real… I LOVE doing this!!

— End quote

Pia, you said if perfectly. That is what I meant when I said in my post that I love the whole process. It makes me happy to see or know someone loves my babies as much as I did and it brings such happiness to them too.

— Begin quote from “cajuncuties”

I’m not a collector since I started reborning, but find myself a little sad to see them go~some more than others. I guess we all have our favorites. I’m a “foster mom” to these little ones and happy that they are going to a loving home. I keep their pics in a folder and often look at them as a reminder. I know…a little weird.

— End quote

Consider me weird too, because I do the same thing.

OK, so it looks like we’re all a bunch of wierdos! But, hey, from what I’ve seen, I’m in goooood company! I did have an “album” sort of, of my Ashton-Drake dolls, but now I look at them and ask myself “why did you buy that?” I’m thinking of taking them to the consignment shop; I know I won’t get back what I paid, but #1. they’re taking up valuable real estate, and #2. I don’t like the “quality,” and #3. I can make better babies than these mass produced in China! Making them is SOOOOOO much more fun!

I decided when someone offered me $275 for my first reborned doll, too bad I had already started to make it a baby leprechaun,lol. Good thing I didn’t root the beard, I’m currently plucking the hair and bushy eyebrows in hopes to save the head, otherwise I’ll have to wait for restocking or by seconds head…

My first baby I sold I was worried and anxious and all kinds of things. Most of mine are sold before I paint them and I know who they are going to and they will be cared for and loved. It does get easier but I still am sad to see them go. I have my Libby tho and I cuddle her a while and it helps. I work full, time in EMS and one week I work 72 hours and the next week I work 96 hours,so I do not get to make many that I have not already sold.

Iansmommie, you’re a riot! I’m trying to picture a baby-bearded leprechaun!