What's wrong with the Reborn Market

im not agree with some of you guys!
you all started from somewhere. and im pretty sure your first baby wasnt too beautiful in someone else eyes who was reborning longer!
i just started reborning and im not doing it for business, that is my hobby.
i was in love with my first doll and maybe some people thought it was nothing special. i never have confident in my creations, i wanted to get at least 100$… but happened and i sold it for 190.
next dolls i was more happy about. i read some tutorials and tip on here. and im pretty sure in one year i will think that my first dolls wasnt that good.
but we all start from somewhere and you cant get mad at someone like me… who is just enjoying the process.

other thing i wouldnt sell my dolls because i love all of them… but my Hubby told me that ill have to sell dolls to get next kit.
and again im not confident and cant put high price especially when i am beginner.
people get what they pay for. you can buy beginner doll for around 100… or you can buy a real art around 300 and higher!

i agree there is people who is not even trying to make some little cute angel… i checked ebay and before christmas one lady was selling atleast 10 dolls. and it is the ugliest thing i ever seen!!!
another thing. ive watched video on youtube where little girl (around 12-14 years old) packing doll that someone just bought from her… and her dolls didnt look so good too.

my another hobby is photography. i just love taking pictures. and im blessed to have my camera. i make 400 shots for one photo-shoot.
and there is lots of mad professional photographers who was doing it for 20 years. and they had only one shot to make an art… and now here is the progress, everyone can get camera that will make millions of shots.

what im saying is more and more people getting to this art(reborning). and we all start from somewhere…

not everyone can afford a super nice reborn that looks exactly real thats where the “bargin babies” come in handy …

i agree with trapple 575 and joy .let each one do what they want beauty is in the eye of the beholder .GOD didn’t make us all the same it would have been to boreing.lets be kind.
what each one sell or gives is only there business.GOD BE WITH YOU …JUDY

I agree that I think there is a market for all skill ranges. As long as the dolls are truly represented so that the buyer can see clearly exactly what they are getting I see no problem. If we were all at the same skill level then alot of people just wouldn’t be able to afford to own a reborn.

I believe that the dip in sales is due mainly to the economy but we also have to take into consideration that collectors “who are the main buyers that have purchased my babies” are continually adding to their collections and once they have a certain sculpt they most likely aren’t going to purchase another. Reborns have been around quite a long time now and so the initial buzz has worn off but I do believe it’s a very good thing that we have such a range of skill levels and sculpts out there for every pocket.

to kays kids just want to say i think your kids (reborns )are beatuiful …

Caycee said and I quote below although I could not see how to do that digitally,

— Begin quote from ____

I agree that I think there is a market for all skill ranges. As long as the dolls are truly represented so that the buyer can see clearly exactly what they are getting I see no problem. If we were all at the same skill level then alot of people just wouldn’t be able to afford to own a reborn.

I believe that the dip in sales is due mainly to the economy but we also have to take into consideration that collectors “who are the main buyers that have purchased my babies” are continually adding to their collections and once they have a certain sculpt they most likely aren’t going to purchase another. Reborns have been around quite a long time now and so the initial buzz has worn off but I do believe it’s a very good thing that we have such a range of skill levels and sculpts out there for every pocket.

— End quote

I don’t collect more than one of each sculpt, but I do have two of Lara Antonucci’s reborns, a Stoete and a Knopps. Part of the dip is due to economy, but part is due to this isn’t an investment that people expect to make money on, it is about love and space - and all my cribs are filled.

What I would like to say is that I love to reborn and I understand people like to have the opportunity to reborn and to reborn a kit is a very hard and difficult work.

So…a troll bumped this post to the top. But it got my attention. I read quite a few comments. Here’s what I have to say. Thank God this forum isn’t what it used to be! :open_mouth: I’m sure not all the posts were like this. But it appears there was very little camaraderie…just a lot of hostility. If a post was started like this now, people would nip it in the bud. We keep each other in check, but in a friendly way. (Or someone would flag the post right away.) Also, @anjsmiles I’m glad you decided to embrace customers’ desire for painted hair, even though you didn’t initially care for it. You turned out to be an amazing hair painter. :wink:

I read a ton of comments on this post before I realized it was an older post. I was sitting here thinking, “wow, is this what the more seasoned artist think of us newbies?”
I was actually offended. Good art is always a matter of opinion. Whether you are a new artist or an old one, it really doesn’t matter. Art doesn’t have a right or wrong way of being done. It is done by the eye of the artist and their opinion of what they feel is “good”. No one has a right to tell anyone they are not good enough. Their art might be amazing in some one else’s opinion and exactly what they are wanting.
Honest criticism is always welcome when asked for it. But to tell someone they are not worthy of their hobby or art is just ridiculous. They don’t own “reborning”.
With that said, I’m truly grateful for all the experienced artist who have helped me and encouraged me along the way. All from this forum. Some of us do it for the love of the craft, not just the money.