What's up with Me?

Ladies, I think I must be in a funk, either that or I’m getting tired of the reborning hobby and that’s not really like me. I don’t have much interest in the kits anymore, they all seem to look alike to me with a rare exception now and again. I haven’t touched a kit, paint or brush for I can’t even tell you how long. Am I just getting too old for this? I have always love dolls so this is a really weird thing for me. Am I alone, anyone else ever feeling this? It sucks, so not me.

BTW: it’s not about sales cause I don’t sell anyway.

5 Likes

Everyonce in awhile I get discouraged or overwhelmed and want to throw everything away but then at the same time I want to buy a new kit LOL… I’ve only sold a few. I really only count one but I’ve sold to family who gave me money after I gave them dolls so IDK if that counts as actual sales :thinking:
Anyway I feel ya.

Nothing wrong with taking a break and trying something else for awhile! My hobbies all kind work together. Photography knitting and painting dolls :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: so I get excited to photograph them and make them bonnets and booties etc

3 Likes

I’ve been in some kind of funk, too. I’ve got 5 kits out. One needs rooting, one needs assembly, the other 3 need painting. I look at them, I want to paint them, and I just don’t. Some of it for me is that I’ve been so busy with other things, but reborning is my favorite thing to do and other things have never stopped me before. I even took a head and rooting supplies with me when I was in the hospital so I just don’t get this. I did try out a new rake brush for hair painting last night and I did enjoy it. I’m hoping this is the beginning of the end of my funk.

5 Likes

You sound like me. I haven’t done anything for so long- I almost forgotten how to paint! I don’t sell either and just recently felt an interest in painting. I think after COVID, supply issues, kit quality, redundant kits, posts about slow sales, knock offs, scammers, lawsuits, and forum disagreements, I was really put off with the hobby. Also, my mom’s extended visit, a family death, and hubby’s back surgery, really wiped me out. All these factors made doll making hard to justify . As crazy as it sounds, this contradicts why I got into reborns in the first place… they make me happy.

6 Likes

It’s always something holding us back from finding joy sometime. Hopefully you’ll find your inspiration and hit the ground running

1 Like

Scammers give me nightmares! Same with kit issues… :rofl::rofl::rofl: I’ve had my fair share :wink: but it shouldn’t be an issue and it’s such a prob being excited about a kit only to find a prob when or before you can even get started :pleading_face:

1 Like

War in Ukraine did that to me. I stop even read the forum. Then long covid, vision decline, another health complications…

Getting 4 EKK prototypes pulled me out of it, but just out of obligations, my heart is still not 100% there.
I am hoping to get on NC vendors list, that should kick me in the butt to do something, I hope :wink:
So that is my ‘dangling carrot’. Maybe you need to find yours?

I have soo many right now that needs rooting :frowning:

1 Like

I have enough kits to last me for the rest of my life, and that is NOT an exaggeration!! I just keep thinking “it’ll come back”, it just better or somebody’s going to be left selling a LOT of kits. I think the pandemic just destroyed so many people’s mojo that we just have to keep on truckin’ some how. Come on, hurry up and happen. Glad to know it isn’t only me. Thanks ladies.

2 Likes

I feel the same way. I was so excited and always made time to paint. But I haven’t touched anything since the beginning of covid’s shelter in place. Not sure if it’s because of the long stressful ride of this pandemic or what. I have noticed that since BB switched to the warehouse site I given up a little more. I don’t have a license and its been very difficult (in a confusing way) to obtain one. So my only option on BB is “always full price”, or discounted disappointments. I’d like a great deal but not one with issues. Plus shipping cost and taxes, items out of stock… etc…! Its just emotionally exhausting. Not to mention cheap counterfeits. I’m just “not in the mood”. Hopefully we both get get that lost feeling back!!

3 Likes

I have been in a funk too- I feel like I lost my ability to bring them to life…UGH

2 Likes

I think the Covid thing really set back lots of people. It’s like you can’t find interesting in things anymore.

I’ve got a prototype to get done by the end of November but really don’t have the plans for anymore at the time.

I need to paint and sell and pay for my miniature habit :joy:

4 Likes

Yep I have been feeling much the same. I keep asking myself are you losing interest, is it because I have never had babies sit and now I have Two that’s been sitting putting 2 new ones on the market if they don’t move that will be 4. I do have other hobbies that I just really don’t get to do anymore that I miss. But I am going to keep pushing myself because I on the other hand find I don’t really want to quit.

3 Likes

Same as most everyone else. :heart:

I just keep going but it is sooo slow and no excitement like I had before. Hoping it comes back.

4 Likes

In March my mom fell and broke her hip. My sister decided not to have it fixed. My dad tried to live on his own since she went to a nursing home. My dad was found laying on the kitchen floor in April. My sister decided to put him there too. We have been cleaning out their house. They live about 3 hours away from me. I have her dolls here that I have made.

And she did ceramics so I have all of the new brushes (a ton since she had classes) and wigs and crap.

I have not touched a doll since March. I have four almost done and some all washed up. I do sell but for some reason I just can’t find my groove. I am not sure if it’s because my studio is full of her things. Or knowing I can’t make her more dolls. Or maybe it’s more of a rut. Kits are no inspiration and I have literally tons. I have bought a few this year but I walk in my studio and don’t accomplish a thing.

2 Likes

Oh gosh, I’m glad to know that it isn’t just me but on the other hand it really saddens me to hear that so many of us are struggling to do a hobby that has brought us so much joy for so long. Is “it” fading or is it just us that’s “fading”? I think I’ll pray about this and see what happens to us all, maybe we’ll all get a lot of new inspiration!!!

7 Likes

Most of my Reborns are put away. I have 5 out. I am still working on my promised customs though.

2 Likes

That sounds like a brilliant idea

1 Like

I have been the same Lynn…i agree that covid zapped alot of people…living in isolation and fear is not good for anyone mentally.

This spring i started getting back to a desire to “create” again…but then the house sale and packing and the whole reborn market slump has me stymied…at least for now…i am hoping that by the time i can locate and drag my paints back out…the market will be better and the “vacation” from painting will have me itching to get a brush in my hand again. :blush:

Praying daily…heck…throughout the day these last few years has helped me keep going.

Painting brings me joy and a sense of accomplishment …but i know the One who can carry me through anything that the prince of this ol’ world can sling at me…and give me eternal joy!!!

3 Likes

Yes I got that way for a while but when I needed to go to my happy place I started reborning again. I’m rooting my 3rd and 4th doll in 3 months. I’ve never worked so fast. I’m trying to get 5 finished by Christmas as presents. My husband is going through chemo and can’t go out much this has helped a lot. The meds have made him MOODY this has helped A LOT. I can run away lol. I’m feeling accomplished so that helps me. Try making one to give to a group doing a fund raiser. That always makes me feel good.

2 Likes

Maybe we should do a make Flossie cute (or some kind of challenge) to motivate us.

5 Likes