What went wrong?

I’ve spent ten hours making a nasty mess out of BB Sam. Her arms and legs are fine, but her head has gotten patchier with each successive layer, and a strange texture appeared on one side of her face. It’s almost like if I had pulled off a price tag and then tried to paint over the sticky gunk left behind. I’m going to have to strip her, but until I can figure this out, I’m not going to try to repaint her.

Any ideas of what might have happened?

On the plus side, before she started going haywire on me I think I was finally getting the lips right…:roll_eyes:

ETA: I primed her very carefully with Golden Matte Medium and let it dry 24 hours before painting.

Her lips are a fantastic color! I don’t use air dry so I’m not sure what’s going on. But I hope you can get it figured out!!

1 Like

Thank you! I was really proud of them, too. Oh, well.

1 Like

Looks like some kind of weird reaction. You’ve used the same paints before, right? Could they perhaps be old or not stirred enough?

1 Like

It looks like there might be something either in your paint or on your sponges. Try making up a different batch and use a new sponge.

2 Likes

One reason I dont use sponges to paint is that they just dont work as well with acrylics. I paint with cheap makeup/kabuki brushes that I get on ebay from China. They hold up really well to washing and most of mine have lasted years. I paint with the small ones and pounce with the larger ones and then small ones in the creases. I use tack sponges for mottling and I only use makeup sponges for sealer and varnish and with my varnish I still use my large brushes because it leaves a bit of texture.
It looks like some type of medium issue. When you use a primer/sealer make sure that it is really thin. Have you used the Golden matte as sealer before? I dont like using matte mediums at all because they tend to be sticky for me. Ive probably said this before but I use tiny amount of Liquitex matte gel and distilled water to make a very “skim milk” slurry and paint and pounce that on the kit…lately I have been using MacPhersons sealer which is easier…no mixing, just shake it, squirt some in a bowl, and pounce it on.

2 Likes

I bought the paint set (Liquitex Basics) in December, but who knows how long Amazon had it sitting in the warehouse. These are the same ones I used for the Kimber I just finished and nothing like this happened…You know what? I used the same red, yellow, and blue on Kimber, but now I also used Naples Yellow and Burnt Umber. I know I didn’t use them on Kimber or Faith, but I’m wondering if the Burnt Umber is the wash I used on Isaac, who got sticky and also “dirty” looking…

Hmm, I wonder if there’s something wrong with some of the paints, while others are fresher and just fine?

1 Like

I mix/thin fresh paint for each layer, even if I’m repeating a color. I find it easier to control in smaller amounts. I also use a new sponge at least every layer, and sometimes switch during the layer if the sponge looks like it’s getting saturated or gets something on it.

I do think it might be the paint, though. It may be time to invest in the more expensive stuff.

This is my third time using the Golden Matte as sealer, and it worked well on the other two dolls. I used Liquitex Matte on my first attempt to paint a doll and that got super sticky, so I switched.

I tried using just brushes on that first painting attempt and it didn’t go well. My hands can handle the sponges much better. They worked perfectly fine on the other two, but this time I used each sponge for a whole layer, instead of switching out a few times per layer. I use brushes to put a thin layer of paint on and then pounce. I switched to flat paint brushes this time, instead of the contour makeup brushes I had been using because they gave me more control.

Everybody’s giving me so much to look into, which is great! I was so flummoxed by this, and very frustrated.

1 Like

I am thinking that the layers are not curing between washes. Something is causing them to not adhere or dry. It could be something as small as increased humidity in the environment. I use GHSP and humidity definitely affects the flashing time. Reborns are like soufflés that way.

2 Likes

I looked at my notes and it was Raw Sienna I used on Isaac. It seems like several of the brown paints are messed up. I’m going shopping for new Golden paints today!

You might find that the basics also fade, artist grade are best.

1 Like

I have the opposite problem, Its far easier for me to hold the larger brush handles although they do go flying out of my hands sometimes :wink:
I didnt know you were using the basic liquitex paints…you may want to try a higher quality paint.

2 Likes

I have a nearby Michaels that does brisk business in artist paint so the stock should be fairly fresh. They’ve got the Golden Hard Body intro set and I have a 40% coupon, so not bad. The Basics were a good start when I was trying to see if I really could do this, but yes, it’s time to upgrade.

1 Like

Yep, I’m going to upgrade. I’ll use the Liquitex for other craft projects.

1 Like

I use makeup sponges with air dry with no problem.
It can be several things
Paint and medium not stirred well enough.
Layers too thicks and/or not dry enough.
Dust particles in the paint mix, or on the kit
Dry paint on the sponge.
Too much medium

Brown is really difficult to stir well, there is always some particles in it.

I never used Golden medium to prime so I can’t tell if it’s the problem, I use either RebornFx primer or Americana adhesion medium.

1 Like

I’ve been telling my mother about what happened and the conversation made me remember that when I was working on some craft projects in fall I was having a similar issue. I was using unthinned acrylic from Dollar Tree to paint flat wooden cut-out shapes and this same rough texture kept forming. Totally different paints, no primer, no sponges, different surface, but the same weird texture. I never had this problem with the Plaid or Apple Barrel paints, but I haven’t used them in years. I wonder if there’s something new that companies are adding to cheap paints to stretch them, or maybe a substitute for some of the more expensive pigments?

I dont know if it is but your kit looks very shiny and tacky in the pictures. I dont know if its the paint, the medium, or something on the sponges. I tried a lot of different mediums when I started and most dont work for me. I bought a couple bottles of matte medium and now they are useless to me because they get very tacky when I have tried to use them. Someone here mentioned Golden satin glazing liquid so I started using that to mix in my paints and I changed my sealer, no more tacky babies. I had a couple bottles of JoSonya flow medium that I put in with water for washes and when I ran out of that I found Golden had an alternative, wetting agent, that I now use.
I think everyone has to find their own mix and way of painting ( I feel like a parrot because I know ive said that several times now). Just like, I use brushes and @Leabelle says sponges work well for her and you. For me, my mix and the brushes makes it so I can move the paint and keep the layers thin and even.
Hopefully the new paint will work better for you…I had less problems with Golden fluid paints than I did with Liquitex and JoSonya and Im glad I switched but it is a learning curve going from thicker paints to fluid.

2 Likes

I had some burnt umber that left tiny little speckles all over my doll. It was the paint. I guess it was old. I haven’t had that problem since. The Liquitex Matte Gel doesn’t work as well as the Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel that I mix into my paints. It helps keep the paint homogenized. Stirring frequently also helps.

1 Like

What’s weird is that it’s not tacky at all. It looks like it in person, too, but it’s actually dry and sandy/gritty.

1 Like