What is your most dreadful step in the whole reborning process?

LOL! this made me giggle :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But your hair painting is lovely

I still struggle with eyebrows, not sure what the block is, I understand them, its a simple pattern but for the life of me I dread them and door them poorly.

I also not a big fan of open eyed eyelashes, they are just a pain but worth it.

:joy: I used my husband help to hold my first baby head while putting it in place because it wanted to roll away every time when I tried to attach it to the body.

1 Like

Rooting. My hand cramps up. I’m getting old!

Oh yes ughhh rooting open eyes was the worst :weary:

Eye brows

Lashes on open eyed babies and sometimes eyebrows.

I think veining is the most tedious for me. I want them to look real and it takes a while for me to get them the way I want. I don’t really mind doing them but it takes too long. Plus sometimes I get them too light and have to bump them up a bit later so they still show. Creases are a pain too…again too time consuming for impatient me.
And every time I bake I worry I’m going to melt the whole thing and all that work will be for nothing. No issues since I’ve been using my NuWave but I’m scarred from previous experiences with a countertop oven!
Probably the worst thing though is after I get one done and listed my doll room looks like a tornado went through it. I just can’t seem to figure out how to organize the baby clothing in there. I know I have too many clothes in there, but there should be a rational way to organize it so it’s easier to find thing. I never know if I should put boy things in one place and girl things in another or organize by size. And then what do you do when it could go either way or you get way too many sizes??? Shopping for sweet little clothing at consignment shops is a weakness of mine and I’ve found some beautiful clothing, but it makes me crazy! It’s hard enough to keep the rest of the house clean, but that doll room is a disaster area too much of the time because once one is done there comes another!! LOL

2 Likes

Me too @Kate. Right now it’s nail tips for me.

2 Likes

These last 3 are eating my mottling and making me crazy!

3 Likes

I TRIED THIS AND IT WORKS. I could hardly believe it. I struggle and drop eyes umpteen times before getting them in…and I was amazed how it worked when I closed my eyes. IT’S LIKE MAGIC. Thank you so much for sharing that.

2 Likes

@pschomaker, WOW! I am so glad! It was a pure intuition for me, so I am glad that it worked for you!

Genesis matte varnish does that to a lot of people. But a lot of people seal there paint with thinning medium because it doesn’t leave that crusty like look to it

1 Like

That is a messy job! I’ve tried cutting them shorter inside the socket and sticking a toothpick with glue on the tip through the outside. It works but I end up getting a little glue on the outside. Thank goodness it wipes off without shine. Does anyone else have any better suggestions??

1 Like

I don’t even know where to get started lol

1 Like

Yes! I too create a tornado of photo props, glass beads, little pieces of nylon from where I cut the end after knotting, a little piece of cluster stuff here or there, cut ends from zip ties, and a million baby clothes bc for some reason I think I need to pull all of them out in case I forgot about one that I think must be the perfect outfit :woman_facepalming:t4::laughing:
Packaging my dolls are a love/hate relationship. I really go out of my way to try to create a beautiful box opening presentation which number one, takes me literally hours to complete and secondly, I create another huge mess!.. Cut ribbon, tissue paper, card stock, tags, little circles that fell out of my hole punch, cards (I have to find one that coordinates with my packaging :laughing:), little decorative accessories, and more outfits bc I decided I think that particular outfit would be perfect for a different kit (secretly I just love it too much to let go yet :sweat_smile:).
So yeah, the mess is definitely my least favorite part of reborning :rofl:

5 Likes

Eyebrows and creases for me. Still haven’t found a way to do either that I like yet. And mottling, but that’s probably just because I need more practice at it.

I’m the same way! I love making a good box opening for my customers but it can leave a trail of rubble in its path. And I always try to have some coordination with the layette and accessories. If I don’t look at everything how will I know I got the best look for that baby??? Plus I just can’t seem to stay out of those consignment baby stores because what if there is a perfect little outfit there and I miss it! I’ve got a few issues! LOL

2 Likes

@Summer & @2layz I am sure that your customers appreciate all your efforts very much. Little things like that make a box opening moment is an extra special and sweet :heart_eyes:.

2 Likes