What is your favorite prop for posing babies.pic if u have 1

I have heard to use a boppy pillow and put it on top of a clothes basket with the basket covered of course and it looks like baby is in a nice snuggly state. Also heard of using those papason chairs made for babies. All of you that take great photos…please share your most prized possession with the rest of us

Great setup I love this forum i’m learning alot Thanks

If I have to choose just one item it would be my light tent, I could not do my pictures without it.
Hugs,
Judy

Yea, I can’t figure out how to use those either…

Judy, I have a question, please. I bought a light tent. I opened it up, but I don’t know really how to use this properly. I had set mine on the floor and placed blankets etc. inside the bottom of the tent. It didn’t seem this is the “right” way to go about it. I about killed my back being on the floor and crawling around trying to pose the baby. Would it be possible for you to take a picture showing the baby in your light tent so that I could see how it should be set up? I would really appreciate it so much! I’ve had this light tent about a year and I’d love to learn do it right. There may be some other “mommys” out there that would benefit.
Thanks so much! Blessings.Connie

I have no GREAT props or set up…lol…I just always use my trusty Kodak easyshare!

Ew ew! Finally something I know! I could post some things if you want…I’m not a pro photographer but I am a serious hobbyist. I have some links to really good tuts & I have some knowledge and I could answer questions. Maybe not EVERY question lol.

Blurring the background is done by adjusting your aperture. The simple explanation is: go to your manual settings or if you have the aperture setting that’s not full manual it’s easier to start off and see what I mean.
Now- find a subject and if possible put a little space between your subject and the background. start out with about F8 and focus on your subject (auto focus is just fine). Snap a picture. Now repeat this process, lowering the Fstop number as you go. IE: snap a pic at F7, F6, and continue down. You’ll reach a point where the pics don’t focus anywhere. Somewhere in there is a sweet spot. The lower you can get that Fnumber and still focus on your subject the blurrier the background will be. This is in no way a technical explanation lol. but it will get you started.
Hugs, Nicole

ps FOCUS ON ONE OR BOTH OF A PERSON’S (doll’s) EYES!!

Pss THE BETTER THE LIGHTING THE LOWER YOU CAN GET A SHARPLY FOCUSED SUBJECT WITH A BLURRIER BACKGROUND. IN OTHER WORDS GREAT LIGHT = LOWER FSTOP.
pss if you have a slr or dslr (can you change your lenses?) - the lower the fstop number the better you can do this. A great beginner portrait lens is a 50 mm f2.0 or an upgrade to that is a 50mm f1.8. These lenses are prime lenses (they don’t telescope so you have to move your body closer to the subject or farther back etc). The ADVANTAGE to this is twofold. First prime lenses are make sharper images. Second prime lenses are much cheaper. And lastly ( I guess it’s threefold) this 50mm lens is closest to what the human eye sees so the pictures look “right”

ok there’s my little two cents. Hope it helps someone!
Hugs,
Nicole

**EDITED TO ADD: I highly recommend using a tripod and a remote trigger or the next best thing is find a flat surface to set your camera on and use the self timer to shoot. You’ll be AMAZED what a difference this makes, especially at lower fstops. Also, if you have anti-shake/anti-vibration in your camera (or lense) turn that off if you’re not physically holding the camera. If it’s on a tripod or table the anti shake can actually blur your photos

I take my pictures outside in natural light. I use an old beanbag on top of a table and use a length of fabric. I just kind of squish a “nest” and put the baby in it so he/she looks all comfy. I just use a regular digital camera.

Here’s another picture taken of a different baby with the same technique.

I have a link on making the background black or white when you take your pic. It’s about camera settings not backdrops. You can take a black background pic in front of a solid white backdrop.
Also if you want tip for frugal photography I’ve got plenty of those too. You can make many things from household stuff that will work great to improve your pictures. For example you can make a diffuser to soften harsh midday light with a cheap shower curtain so you can take nice outdoor pics without washout or shadows on faces.

Hugs again,
Nicole

— Begin quote from “babyphatt jeannette”

Judy, I have a question, please. I bought a light tent. I opened it up, but I don’t know really how to use this properly. I had set mine on the floor and placed blankets etc. inside the bottom of the tent. It didn’t seem this is the “right” way to go about it. I about killed my back being on the floor and crawling around trying to pose the baby. Would it be possible for you to take a picture showing the baby in your light tent so that I could see how it should be set up? I would really appreciate it so much! I’ve had this light tent about a year and I’d love to learn do it right. There may be some other “mommys” out there that would benefit.
Thanks so much! Blessings.Connie

— End quote

Connie I have mine set on a table and have 3 daylight sets set-up around it. It’s nothing fancy, just clamp lights with daylight bulbs in them but it works for me.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/ju/judyp/Lighttent.jpg

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/ju/judyp/FaithBBB.JPG

Hugs,
Judy

Judy I love your setup. I need one of those. That box wouldn’t have worked for me for anything before but for dollies it’s perfect! Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Nicole

No one has mentioned a method I use all the time for photographing horses. Don’t laugh! It works on people photos too! Back up away from the subject, and use the zoom. For horses, it flattens the perspective so their head doesn’t appear larger than their body. For people, it slightly blurs the background. A tripod is helpful, but I have taken a lot of fabulous photos without one. When you get an impromptu photo op, and no reflectors or special lighting, try this.

How many reborn doll photos have you seen with the closest hand appearing as big as the babies head? They happen! A picture taken with magnification (zoom) - from a distance - flattens that effect. Since you are at a distance, you could also use the flash with less effect. Experiment with it, it works.

I am not talking about anyone specific here, but most all pictures that I see on the forum the doll has “dead” eyes. No one gets enough light to kick back into the face, so there are dark holes where the eyes are. Take a minute and look at the pictures, and you will see what I mean.

My husband is a Commercial Photographer, and he taught me the little I know. USE reflectors; which can be as simple as a white poster board, a sheet, etc.

Great tip, Neva! Thanks…will try this soon.

Good advice Neva!!!
I will second that. I’ve used that technique a lot too.
With the 50mm prime things don’t really get distorted as it’s closest to the human eye (equivalent to a 35mm non digital).
I like this thread. I just shared that in case anyone was looking for a starter portrait lens.
Hugs,
Nicole

I’ve even used a disposable roasting pan for a reflector. Lol

Hi Ellen,
maybe your husband or you could give a little tut on doll photography. That would be great! I bet your friends & family hit you up for pics a lot. Mine do and I am NOT NOT NOT a pro. They see the camera and think I know stuff lol. It would be really nice to get some more tips.

And I want to clarify because I don’t know if it was confusing before. When I was talking about using a tripod or flat surface I meant when trying to blur the background. When you go to a lower fstop you will be causing the shutter speed to slow down too. That means the shutter stays open longer when you take the picture. It’s capturing the image slower and any shake will tend to blur. Depending on your camera/lens setup it might not be a factor. But if things are blurry try getting your camera stationary.