What is the secret to keep already rooted hair untangled while rooting?

What is the secret to keep already rooted hair untangled while rooting? Is it spaying water or keep going in a certain pattern/direction?

I practiced a full head rooting on this little guy and he was a hot mess. His hair looked like felt after I finished. Lucky for him (or for me) his hair does not have to be long and I cut most of it. I am so :scream: to try long hair rooting on a baby.

Please share you secrets/ experiences. Thank you!

12 Likes

He looks so good! You never want to have hairs poking toward where you are going to poke a needle. For example, if piggy hair is all going to be pointing back towards the neck, you would start with the very bottom of back of neck and work all the way up to piggy forehead in that direction.

2 Likes

But I think this piggy fuzz looks very wooly and appropriate! Best piggy I’ve seen!

5 Likes

He’s cute! When I root I start at the bottom, in the back, and root all the way around. I do a couple of rounds like this and then cut about 3 inches off the top of a knee high stocking. I pull this down over the head to just below the edge of the last row. I gently pull it off over the neck and move it up as I go. I hope this makes sense. It works well for me.

7 Likes

That’s a very cool tip! Thanks for sharing. I work in rounds too with a baby. It takes on a very funny old man look when you are at the halfway point :joy:

3 Likes

Doesn’t it, though?

1 Like

You can wrap saran wrap over the rooted sections to keep the hair from rubbing.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! That is a great tip.
Here is my plan for my full head rooted baby and please tell me how would you do it: she is going to be unicorn baby with the locks of rainbow colors. I was planning to start at the front laying one strip of color after another, as I am not sure if have enough those colored hair, so back could be just blond.
I guess I can do a ‘sock trick’ even if I start from the front, right?

I know you didn’t ask me :wink: but can I make a suggestion on color as a cosmetologist? I would do rainbow in stripes in a Mohawk all the way from the forehead to nape of neck. I would then root the sides fully in blonde. She would take on an appearance of having a mane and it would blend wonderfully!

7 Likes

Thank you! I never thought of doing that way! I need to think about how to visualize it and implement it. It’s late, I will be like Scarlett O’Hara “I’ll think about it tomorrow”. If you can draw a picture and PM me I would greatly appreciate it :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I keep a mixture of conditioner and water in a squirt bottle. Keep it very thick like 3/4 conditioner and 1/4 water. Then squirt it onto he rooted section and brush it into place. Once it dries it’ll be stuck down to the head kinda like hairspray. When I’m done rooting I rinse it all out and comb it well.

1 Like

First off he is adorable.

Secondly are you rooting from the cut end and not the middle? Rooting from the middle can cause it to kinda stick to itself so I was wondering.
I root from the neck up to the swirl, all around the back. Then the temples to the swirl. Then the forehead to the swir, all over the top. Then I root the eye lashes (or apply them depending on the doll kit)

I spray with water and brush with a tooth brush as I go.

Also what hair brand is it? Coarser hair like Ruby Red is harder for me to work with.

2 Likes

So CUTE! :two_hearts:

Thank you @MilosMeadows and @jlesser! I’ll keep all tips in mind and try to do a ‘proper’ rooting next time.

@jlesser Blond mohair was from Delta Dawn, brown was from Dolls by Sandy, so I don’t think it was a mohair fault, it was me :laughing:. I also might rooting from the middle sometimes as I tried to use a loop method, stub method (like I saw on Gina’s Gabriel videos), and all other methods to see what will work for me. I learn that I am not patient enough to do one hair at a time and keep cut ends neatly. At least I rooted directionaly, lol.

I have a long way of learning ahead of me!! Feel sorry for my next victim… oops, I ment unicorn baby.

Lots of respect to all RA who roots beautiful patterns!!

Thank you @kareninflorida!

3 Likes

Lots of great tips! Rooting definitely has a learning curve! I highly admire those of you who are able to do a full head of hair.

1 Like

I start all my rooting at the hairline, then work up to the crown, keeps all the existing hair, out of the way of your rooting (think of it like walking up a mountain) and you should be fine :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you @NancyW!

1 Like

This pig is adorable!

1 Like

That’s a great idea!

I begin at the hairline and root towards the crown. I do the top of the head first, then the sides, then the back. Admittedly, it works much better if I start in the back then to the top and say besides for last but I’m usually impatient to see what baby will look like. I do the saran wrap thing.

2 Likes