What do you use

I have been studying eBay reborn listing so I can create my own but alot say they don’t use sand, is this referring to the glass beads? What’s the big deal with that?? I have some of this and it’s like sand but more gritty. I can’t find the vinyl pellets around here. What do you use ??? What sells better in a doll?

I bought some white colored glass sand that is wonderful. I double layer the knee high I put the sand in. It weights the baby lovely. I also use plastic beads in the limbs and the head. I get those at Michaels because the Wal Mart here does not carry them. Plastic beads can also be used to make bubbles in the mouth when you carefully apply air dry gloss varnish. As a matter of fact, I have that decision coming up, whether I am going to use plastic beads for the bubbles in my Ericks mouth or use Aileens tear solution.
I did buy plastic beads online in a large quantity a while back and they were alright but they were not the clear ones. I like the clear plastic beads the best because they have more weight.

No, they aren’t talking about the glass bead sand but not using regular sand. There are some countries that ban the import of sand because it could carry some fungus or other contaminent. The blasting sand is actually fine glass that is factory produced. I think that sand would be fine for dolls sold in the US if it was the type sold for crafts but because you never know where the doll will be resold, it is better to just spend the money and use the “sand” glass beads or blasting media. The finer blasting media can’t be put in stockings (I even had problems with the BB sand leaking). I found out you can use the vinyl gloves instead. I hate painting in gloves so I need to get more now just for packing the glass beads into!

When I took my Ashton Drake Raven Wing apart for reborning, there was dirty sand inside her head! Some in her body too. Yuk! Ashton Drake dolls are made in China so go figure! Ashton Drake got rid of all their sales representatives and I also heard that they are going out of business.

I use the glass beads sold by BB only. They weigh wonderfully and I don’t mind spending the little extra for something I can put all my confidence behind. I buy white tights in the little girl section at Target to use as bags for holding the glass beads because regular stockings let the beads fall through. Even if I double or triple wrap them. I don’t use polypellets because they can (over time) react with the vinyl and melt it plus (over time again) the pellets will kind of melt together and form a rock hard solid mass inside the head, leg, arm…etc. I only use cloth bags or tights to hold my glass beads because I don’t want my babies to crinkle when cuddled. Hope this helps! Happy Reborning!! =)

— Begin quote from “huskergal”

I use the glass beads sold by BB only. They weigh wonderfully and I don’t mind spending the little extra for something I can put all my confidence behind. I buy white tights in the little girl section at Target to use as bags for holding the glass beads because regular stockings let the beads fall through. Even if I double or triple wrap them. I don’t use polypellets because they can (over time) react with the vinyl and melt it plus (over time again) the pellets will kind of melt together and form a rock hard solid mass inside the head, leg, arm…etc. I only use cloth bags or tights to hold my glass beads because I don’t want my babies to crinkle when cuddled. Hope this helps! Happy Reborning!! =)

— End quote

This is absolutely not true. Poly pellets are used for doll and bear making all the time and do not melt together. I have even baked my limbs with the poly pellets inside and they do not melt. There is something called baby fat pellets that supposedly have a reaction with the vinyl but poly pellets do not cause this reaction.

Sand is like the sand box sand. Glass beads or sand blasting glass is great and sold at harbor freight alot cheaper than anywhere else. I use the baby fat squishy in a triple folded nylon for the belly and tushie and it feels awesome. It can get very expensive to weight a baby but a 5 pound doll feels like a 7 pound alive baby. I also read that using beebee’s and new fish coated gravel is approved and works great too. The stuff u can buy at Petco not bulk rock from a garden store.

— Begin quote from “jubileej”

— End quote

This is absolutely not true. Poly pellets are used for doll and bear making all the time and do not melt together. I have even baked my limbs with the poly pellets inside and they do not melt. There is something called baby fat pellets that supposedly have a reaction with the vinyl but poly pellets do not cause this reaction.

— End quote

Good to know! Thank you for the correction! The few places I heard of poly pellets being the culprit must have been misinformed also. =) glad to know I have the option of usin poly pellets without ruining my dolls. =)

— Begin quote from “jubileej”

— End quote

— End quote

Good to know! Thank you for the correction! The few places I heard of poly pellets being the culprit must have been misinformed also. =) glad to know I have the option of usin poly pellets without ruining my dolls. =)

— End quote

I have heard of some melting together. It had something to do with the releasing agent used in the vinyl production reacting with the Polly pellets. Since most babies are washed good before painting, I don’t think it’s much I an issue but always figured better safe than sorry. I know there’s collectors out there that won’t even consider a baby made with anything other than glass beads.

— Begin quote from “UnknownFemale”

I have heard of some melting together. It had something to do with the releasing agent used in the vinyl production reacting with the Polly pellets. Since most babies are washed good before painting, I don’t think it’s much I an issue but always figured better safe than sorry. I know there’s collectors out there that won’t even consider a baby made with anything other than glass beads.

— End quote

Again, it is something called baby fat pellets, not poly pellets!