What do you think of my hair painting?

My daughter asked me to make a baby for my granddaughter’s 2nd birthday and since I am not thrilled with these babies in the hands of really small children, I decided to try my hand at painting her hair. What do you think?

Beautifully painted hair.

Carmen, that hair looks great. and I think you’re right, for a young child it’s probably best with painted hair.

Geez Carmen,
I don’t know… I think you may need to send her to me for closer inspection…

Can’t believe that was your first try! Wow!! Great job!

— Begin quote from “mcnair6”

My daughter asked me to make a baby for my granddaughter’s 2nd birthday and since I am not thrilled with these babies in the hands of really small children, I decided to try my hand at painting her hair. What do you think?
Beautiful!! what paint brush did you use?

Dolly hugs Eve

— End quote

Beautiful!! what type of paintbrush did you use?

Dolly hugs Eve

Thank you all! Evelyn - I used a rake brush for all of the hair painting.

— Begin quote from “MiddleOfNowhereNursery”

Geez Carmen,

— End quote

I would but the problem is that it would not get back in time for Ryleigh’s birthday.

I love love love your grand baby’s name! Adorable! Can’t wait to see the finished baby!

Geez Carmen,

— End quote

I would but the problem is that it would not get back in time for Ryleigh’s birthday.

— End quote

:lol: I love love love your grand baby’s name! Adorable! Can’t wait to see the finished baby!

— End quote

She’s actually already finished… I just cannot think of a name for her - any suggestions?

The lighting is not the greatest and neither are the photos but here are a few quick pictures taken with my phone -

Great job, Carmen! LOVE that hair…I’d have never guessed it was your first go at painting hair…it looks awesome!

It is so beautiful!!! You can send it to me so I can get a better look too! As it is, I’ll settle for adding the photos to my stash. Figure by the time Catherine turns two, I may get up the nerve to paint hair. I’m sure your granddaughter will love her new baby. And if she gets a boo-boo, grandma can always do repairs!

That painted hair is great!! Way to go Carmen!! I heard a cute little girls name the other day, it is different but I like it now Heartlee or Heartley! Your going to make one lil girl super happy

— Begin quote from “CrafterJen”

Oh wow…she turned out SO well! The hair looks really good. I love the highlights and the very thin strands. Where do you find a rake brush? How wide are they? Did it take you very long to complete?

— End quote

Thank you! I got my rake brush from Stephanie Sullivan when I met her at a conference in Walnut Creek, CA, a couple of years ago but I would imagine that you can find it at any art supply store. Until now, I have not been brave enough to try it. It is the 1/2" 7120 Rake brush by Loew-Cornell.

Oh, I almost forgot… No, it didn’t take too long… maybe 4 - 5 hours. (Lots less than rooting that’s for sure! ) Most of the time was in baking and cooling when I liked how it was looking. I used a really thin (but not quite as thin as a wash) mixture of mars black and burnt umber.

[attachment=2]rake brush 1.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]rake brush 2.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=0]rake brush 3.jpeg[/attachment]

— Begin quote from “danielle32320”

That painted hair is great!! Way to go Carmen!! I heard a cute little girls name the other day, it is different but I like it now Heartlee or Heartley! Your going to make one lil girl super happy

— End quote

Ooh, I like that! I think that is it… her name is Heartley!

— Begin quote from “djjessie228”

It is so beautiful!!! You can send it to me so I can get a better look too! As it is, I’ll settle for adding the photos to my stash. Figure by the time Catherine turns two, I may get up the nerve to paint hair. I’m sure your granddaughter will love her new baby. And if she gets a boo-boo, grandma can always do repairs!

— End quote

DJ -

It really wasn’t that hard… Get one of the rake brushes like I posted above and try it on a test head. I was going to send this to Marlen to paint for me but decided to try that first layer thinking that I could always remove it (before baking) and send it to her if I didn’t like it. Instead, I was falling in love with this baby more with every stroke. If you took my rooting class, you’ll know how to map the head… I did the mapping with the rake brush and continued adding from there. It was so cool watching it come together.

Try it! I know you can do it!

Carmen

I love how she turned out Carmen!!! Soooo cute!
Oh, and off subject… Got my package this morning!!! Yay!!! Thank you for selling me your Rosebud kit and Tibby head! You’re a doll!

I love how she turned out Carmen!!! Soooo cute!
Oh, and off subject… Got my package this morning!!! Yay!!! Thank you for selling me your Rosebud kit and Tibby head! You’re a doll!

— End quote

So glad it arrived safely!
Carmen

Carmen!!!Holy Cow!!! I am very impressed!! Wow!!! Awesome Awesome Job!!!

— Begin quote from “danielle32320”

— End quote

Ooh, I like that! I think that is it… her name is Heartley!

— End quote

I am glad you like it. There was a tv show with twins the girl was Heartley and the boy was Lydon and I liked both of them, they are such unique names! I am saving heartley for a special keeper baby!!