What do you think about this Jezebel article?

So, what do you think about this article?

1 Like

Its bull.

You don’t put acrylic paint on silicone. No one is selling them enough to support themselves. Its bull crap. All of it

3 Likes

Lol! I’m not making enough to support myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow! Really bad article. Lots of misquotes!!! Who told her they were silicone?!
What I said, in summary was that we originally started with toy Berenguer VINYL dolls from places like Toys R Us. We took them apart and painted the inside with acrylic paint. (There were no layers on the outside.) We blushed the outside with stencil paint. I did veins from the inside with blue ink pens. We weighed them with poly pellets and put them on new bodies. (Some people used sand.) We rooted hair, but it was poor quality mohair. She did get it right that I asked God for a way to stay home til Mason started kindergarten. And she got the eye quote right. That biracial baby with the baby frame around him is my Devonte. He had the same chuck hazel eyes that I use on a lot of babies still…always my favorite eye color. But I also told her reborning is NOT a beneficial stay at home job. I told her it’s like Scentsy or Young Living, or any of those kind of things regarding income. You make a little, but don’t count on it for bills or you will starve through the summer months.
And where did she get her description of what we do now? We add wrinkles? And cure the paint with hair dryers? And I wish I could make one in 3 days to a week. :rofl:
I could go on and on about the errors. But y’all can see those for yourself. Very disappointed in this article and won’t be sharing it with anyone. :woman_facepalming:t2:

5 Likes

Poop. Terrible. Never. No. Not!

1 Like

Did nlove write this and add a donation button? Just yuck! Sorry.

2 Likes

For the record though, I DID make enough to support myself for an entire year from 2002-2003 while Mason was in PreK. But it was totally different back then. I was one of the few who rooted hair. Most had wigs. Some of mine had wigs. But mine were on the higher end of the market. Mine sold from $300-500. Devonte here sold for over $500. That was a lot of money back then. And the painting was basic, so we could make several a week. The only thing that took time was rooting. And there weren’t many artists. eBay wasn’t flooded. Reborn Berenguers were easy to find on there, and there were maybe 30 decent artists…if even that many. Our names were well known in the reborn community and it was a tighter knit group. So some of us were able to make it. Just like the high end artists now probably make it just fine without other jobs. But even back then, the average person could not make a living from reborn dolls. :roll_eyes:
Here is my Devonte. He took maybe 4 hours to make. I boiled him in rit dye. Rooted his head with synthetic curly hair, blushed the outside, painted his palms and feet with stencil paint, tipped his nails with a white gel pen, weighted him, put him on a doe suede body, dressed him, and put him up for auction. He was one of the first biracial Reborns and I got a lot of attention for him. And everyone loved those beautiful chuck hazel poly glass eyes, just like I still do. :blush: That coloring though. :woman_facepalming:t2:

5 Likes

Right. But articles like this make it seem like anyone can crank out dolls and stay home. This contributes to the flooded market. Its just not true. Not anymore

4 Likes

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

@Katinafleming he is still a cute baby. When you boiled them in dye was it an even coat? I may need to do this for real. Maybe I’ll experiment with a test part that sounds so weird. :thinking::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t think the article is that bad. And it gives a shout out to Dave for creating his reborns site. ‘Making a living out of it’, now that’s funny. But anyone who tries it out will learn very quickly that is is more of a hobby then a money maker.

1 Like

The few good parts dont matter much when the rest is flat out untrue. I hate this kind of reporting. Tell the whole truth or don’t say anything at all. Imo.
And again. This contributes to the already flooded market. Most of which are slapped on paint and poor or no rooting. Its not an art anymore. Its a craft. Anyone can do it. And so it devalues the ones who truly do it as an art form.

Again. Just my opinion

3 Likes

Anne, it was very even. I used tongs and held him in for a couple of minutes. I still have one rit dye baby. She actually has prettier skin tone. And her coloring still looked exactly the same when I put her in the storage shed a few years ago. I need to go get her out to see how she looks now.
I don’t remember the mixture…I experimented til I got a good color for the babies after this one. I think it was 2 shades of brown, a tiny bit of black, and a little bit of blue. It was easy and effective. But I wish I could remember the combination. :woman_shrugging:t2:

My goodness I have to try it for an Alternative. Sounds fun, lol!

1 Like

Should I just ignore this article or should I message her back and tell her she got it all wrong? She would literally have to rewrite the whole thing. But she was really nice, and I believe she really did want to put out a good article. :confused:

2 Likes

You know, she probably thinks she did a good job on that article. If you aren’t in the community it is hard for some people to completely understand. Maybe she could just write a follow up article. Maybe she needs to have and hold a Reborn herself.

1 Like

The girls on reborns are praising the article. Maybe Carrie Franze is the one who gave her all the inaccurate information. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Well if you feel strongly about correcting her I would but the ones of us who collect and paint know better and just shake our heads, lol!

2 Likes

There’s already such a misconception about silicone dolls because of all the scam sites. This article just continues to confuse people into thinking silicone dolls are commonplace. :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

This is exactly how I feel when I’ve read it. I was so disappointed and even mad.

• It’s so wrong to mislead the customers that people make a load of money to support themself with reborning. No wonder so many people wants reborn for free or almost to nothing.
  • Complete reborn in 3 to 7 days? Wonder who told her that?
  • Putting acrylic on silicon…
    And the list is going on…
5 Likes