What do you consider a BIG box opening

And also: What is expected for a general doll sale?
What is expected in a regular box opening?

2 Likes

Welcome back. A big box opening to me is 2 extra outfits and a few things to go along with it. What people want to pay you really can’t afford any more than that.

2 Likes

When I’m listing a doll I don’t describe box openings by size because it is open to too much interpretation and I do not want any problems. I simply list what I’m sending… and that would depend on the price. If it’s a on the lower end, the baby will be dressed, wrapped in a blanket, then I’ll send a paci, extra diaper, a sleeper or something like that. For higher end dolls, I send a bit more.

Edited to add: As a collector I only care about the quality of the dolls, not one ounce about the box opening. It’s likely that my taste will be different anyway. Plus shopping for the baby is part of the fun!

10 Likes

I always just describe what comes home with them. Words like big or small are relative. Big may mean 3 outfits to some, but 20 to someone else.

1 Like

I just list what it comes with in my desctiption.

I send each doll home with 2 outfits (sometimes 3), blanket, socks, onesie, toy, pacifier, pacifier clip, COA (if the kit has one), birth certificate I make, care sheet, and a business card.
Sometimes I add in a brush set, hat, headband, etc.

4 Likes

I always add more than what I listed I’m sending.

2 Likes

To me BIG box opening is a waste of money on already underpriced peace of art. In addition, most of the time my taste in baby clothes is different than I see what posted on Reborns.
I list exactly what I sent with a baby and I photograph baby in those items. Not sending the outfits that baby was photographed in is deceiving to me and if I would be a customer I would not like that.
As a customer I bought 3 babies and none of them wearing what there were sent with. As an artist I am getting pictures from my customers and none of them are wearing what they were sent with. Like @DollyPardon said shopping for the baby is part of the fun to have a reborn!
I understand people desire to get more, but it increases the price and extra weight in shipping. Even in very rural areas where you don’t have stores people can ship on line.

6 Likes

A wanted to add that BIG box opening and BEAUTIFUL box opening is two different things IMO. I want to make box opening as a special experience, so I use beautiful ribbons, pastel colored tissue papers, beautiful ‘thank you’ stickers that I used on top of every wrapped items to seal the ribbon, I ordered ‘Handmade with love’ tags, I orders beautiful ‘Thank you’ cards on Shutterfly with my own text and logo, I ordered rubbermaid stamp with my logo, I include my beautiful handmade soap with a baby as a present for mommy, or soapy little bear with my piglets and monkeys, sometimes I wrap box from inside to make it even more special.

Also important to me is to use an appropriate box. I lay my babies flat, wrapped securely with bubble wrap and air pockets vs bending then into the fetal position to fit into flat rate boxes.

Just in case if you want to add to your items :wink: (my self-advertising :joy: )

8 Likes

As a artist, My babies go to their new home wearing a sleeper, with a outfit, hat or hair bow, paci, diapers and wrapped for travel.
They can purchase a bigger box opening if they like and if they do, I have a taste questionnaire they fill out so I know what they like and will actually use.
Now if I was buying a baby, I would much rather have a nicely done baby then a huge box opening, 1 it adds to the price and 2 my taste may not be the same as the sellers. I prefer sleepers and comfy long sleeve oneise and pant outfits, not much into dressy clothes or vintage etc so I wouldn’t want a seller to waste those type of items on a box opening for me if I won’t use them

5 Likes

I don’t sell my own work, but speaking as a customer, I think it’s all relative. If a listing says the box will only include one plain sleeper and one diaper, then I’m really excited when something extra is included, even if it’s just an extra outfit. That’s why I really like @Msmimi04’s idea… since every customer will have different expectations of what “big” is, it’s better to set your own definition, then exceed it just a bit to show you care :slight_smile:

I also agree with @DollyPardon that shopping for a reborn is part of the fun! Since real babies don’t come out of the womb with a full wardrobe, it kind of makes sense that a reborn wouldn’t either. The exception is when the doll has certain clothes on in the listing (a lot of customers expect to get what they see pictured), or if the doll has a “theme” (like a character doll).

And like @YelenaRey said, when I pack dolls that I’m sending in a trade, it’s also more important to make things look NICE, not just BIG.

Hope this helps!

5 Likes

For me I think a budget baby should go with the clothes pictured plus a paci,blanket a few diapers. A regular box opening would include also a toy, an outfit, card, birth certificate. A big box opening would be all mentioned but a bigger toy or plushie, a few outfits with sleepers and onesies, headbands, socks, booties, baby bracelet, maybe an extra paci. I just didnt know if people considered a big box opening to include an obscene amount of outfits like 10 or more… because that is just not feasable unless thats all they really wanted. I just didnt kmow what the standard big box opening meant and i didnt want to offer it if it meant they expected a shopping spree basically

1 Like

I think if someone Loves a baby they should be purchasing that baby-----NOT a bunch of ‘stuff’ that the baby is going to come with!! If you’re just looking for ‘Stuff’ go buy it yourself. Most of the ‘stuff’ that people send home with a baby isn’t the new mommy’s taste in clothes anyway, so what’s the big deal about getting it all? Originally, ‘extra’s’ were included as a “thank you” gift for the new mommy in appreciation of their purchase. It should NOT have become something that is EXPECTED, but unfortunately that’s what’s happened. JMO. I’m old and jaded.

8 Likes

That’s about what I include with my dolls.

Yes!!! 10000000000% yes! It seems as some buyers expect a box opening at no charge. Especially in the budget groups . $100 and under but must be full limbs, rooted hair,free shipping AND a box opening 🤷 eye roll

4 Likes

I am this close to snapping on people who are expecting fully rooted babies with box openings for 200 SHIPPED. Some girl was looking for Jack Johnston and wanted it fully rooted and 300 limit. I said LOL the kit is 100 bucks on its own! Good luck!

4 Likes

YES! It’s like people want to pretend it’s their 5th birthday and they’re Mommy’s favorite, lol. I do NOT get it. I’ve been having so much fun shopping for baby clothes. I can’t imagine wanting someone else to do this for me. I think it’s part of the bonding. You’re out there in the real world, picking things and discovering that your Reborn really does somehow have its own personality.

Or I’m old, jaded, and also kinda insane, lol.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

These kinds of people might get one response from me if I have time and am in the right mood. Otherwise just no.
Know what’s funny though? The last time I dealt with this was over a year ago when I listed a boo boo baby for a really low price. I got all kinds of questions about what’s included, requests for payment plans, can I hold till next Friday… just everything. But when I list a doll for $400, even $500, people just pay and I ship. Ironic, isn’t it, that the people who pay the least seem to demand the most. Not all, of course, but many.

4 Likes

I’ve never done a big box opening, I only send the outfit or outfits the doll is shown in, headband and or socks, COA, Paci, diaper and blanket

3 Likes