What baby ugly or least looks real

The most recent special deals has all three of the babies every one was sayng were not shall we say the prettiest ones. Rina, Irelyn and Candy I thoght that was very interesting that it was those three,what say you?

I went on Pinterest to find examples of cute versions of these babies and could find none…you may be right. I am sure there is someone who has reborn these sculpts and have made them cute. Candy is adorable but lacks realism. Irelyn’s eyes make her look too much like the monkey kits and Rena is just plain ugly.
Mary

3 Likes

Candy makes a pretty baby doll but not very realistic. I’ve done 2 of her, but not by my choice. I agree about Rian and Ireland.

I’ve been curious about this, I personally would prefer a cute baby even if that means it’s somewhat less realistic. But it seems like the trend is more towards realism which honestly … most newborns are wrinkly, funny looking little things, hahaha. I can see why some people would prefer that though and also why a collector might want one that’s crying or grumpy, etc.

I guess I’m just wondering if one type tends to sell faster or better, or even just gets more ‘views’ or watchers when listed. Has anyone noticed an obvious general preference?

1 Like

There are some sculpt that just look freaky, but I find that some sculpts do not always translate well for all races. For instance, I think Shyann looks best as an AA baby. I’ve seen really pretty Caucasian versions of Shyann, but I think she makes a much better AA/biracial newborn.
Fei Yen is supposed to be a an Asian baby. I have seen her done as Asian, Caucasian, AA, and biracial. However the best Fei Yen sculpt I ever saw was done as a Native American/First Nations baby. The work was absolutely beautiful. That helped a lot.
IMHO, Kyra simply doesn’t make a good Caucasian baby. Like I said, though, that’s just me.
Overall, I prefer realistic sculpts. It bugs me, when the size of the sculpt doesn’t match the ‘age’ of the baby. I absolutely love Nod’s face, but he either needs to be made larger, because his limbs are too chubby for his size. I have done him twice using the cloth body and cutting his torso into back and belly plates. I’d like to do him again using different limbs and a cloth body.

1 Like

Open mouthed babies or crying babies do not appeal to a wide audience. I find that it not the sculpt as much as it is the quality of the painting and rooting that will sell one baby over the other. I have seen very inexpensive non LE kits with little detail that are painted amazingly and fetch a big price.

4 Likes

Personally, I think the Joey kit is the ugliest kit I’ve ever seen. He looks freaky and has to be my least favorite. :smile:

Irelyn…poor Irelyn

3 Likes

I feel so sorry for Irelyn and Rina. I don’t think there is any way to make them pretty. Not a fan of Spencer either.

2 Likes

Yes, Rina is difficult.

Ugh I did an Irelyn…hated every minute of it!

1 Like

My son-in-law is a Native American from the West Coast here in the states. My grandson and granddaughter looked nearly identical to the Fei Yen I saw that was painted like a Native American/First Nations baby, when they were infants. I wish I had save a pic of that Fei Yen.

The best Fei Yen I ever have seen was one that was done as an alternative doll. The artist did him as a baby Vulcan in a Star Trek outfit, and he was adorable.

2 Likes