Weigh in, when, if, and how deal with a bad baby

The problem is that every artist knows how hard it is to paint realistic hair.
Rooring is much easier, even if cost of mohair involved, the process itself just much easier.

The problem, again just because everyone knows that realistically looking hair painting is hard, this forum will ‘Oooh and Aaaah’ over even slightly above mediocre painted hair, which was done in 1-2 h.
I see that all the time. And that is why some people formed an opinion that painting hair is fast and easy.
No, rooting is easy. Realistically painted hair is hard.

11 Likes

That is next level painted hair, it is beautiful, really beautiful.

I hope you don’t think that I think it isn’t worth a lot of money for your time. I just think it is much more expensive and time consuming to root.

I could be wrong.

I can paint a head way faster than I can root a head but I love to paint.

5 Likes

I don’t think rooting or painting hair is easy, especially if the artist is meticulous. It takes almost as long to pull tails as it does to root and really good painted hair means doing it multiple times with different strokes and colors.

5 Likes

Beautiful hair, 20 hours, that is some dedication and it shows.

I personally find rooting way more time consuming. It might be that I enjoy painting hair more. The cost of hair plus time is a factor for me. I don’t think one is better than the other but rooting is a skill I don’t have yet.

I hope this doesn’t turn into which is better I personally think one is more expensive and time consuming.

I prefer painted hair but I love the look of a well rooted head.

2 Likes

I just looked at the photos, that is very beautiful hair.

2 Likes

It is more expensive far as supplies, but I think I could get a few hundred more if I rooted which would pay for the time and the hair. It wouldn’t pay for the week off because of sore wrists and a crick in the neck :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. So in reality, for me, rooting could bring more money, but less happiness. I just dislike the idea that painted hair is inferior which some people tend to think.

9 Likes

For me rooting is way more time consuming, but way easier.
I don’t spend as much time for my painted hair, my style is very simple, so I charge less than my rooted reborns. If I was able to paint amazingly realistic hair as the above, I would charge the same amount as rooted.
Rooting can be very badly done, and it doesn’t matter if the doll is beautiful,the cost should be less than a wonderful painted hair.

It’s really subjective.
Art is subjective.
Value is subjective.
Quality is subjective
Cost of material is the only thing that is not.

9 Likes

I think good painted hair, such as yours, is realistic and practical. Mohair needs special care.

7 Likes

I would like to have another go at rooting with better quality hair, but if I were to collect, I would buy mostly painted hair and maybe one really fancy rooted prototype to admire great rooting skills.

8 Likes

As a buyer, I like rooted hair. I see some realistic beautiful painted hair. I just prefer rooted as my personal preference. I paint as a hobby and to learn. I just like to have fun doing my own thing. I can’t critique very much because I don’t sell babies. I love to look at all the babies on the forum.

3 Likes

Painted hair has been around longer than rooted hair. I researched years ago about the beginnings of reborning. Painted hair was first. Then some got the idea to root in hair for a more 3D effect, and the idea took off. There are beautifully painted reborn dolls that have very nicely painted hair that go for well over $900 and deserve every penny. Painted hair, when done nicely and realistically, takes many hours to produce. It’s also very challenging since it is not 3D but you have to do your best to make it appear that way. You have to paint the look of layers and depth. It takes work. There are customers who prefer painted hair over rooted, too, and if a baby is beautifully done, they will pay top dollar for it. Not everyone can root due to arthritis, etc.

9 Likes

Unfortunately, the sliding scale of talent seems to lean towards a subjective viewpoint. That’s why this issue is difficult. My first purchases of finished reborns were so different. Not bad, not better, just different. I wasn’t sure which was done correctly. Then I realized, it wasn’t a wrong or right issue but a technique issue. Recently I asked, When does a person get to label themselves an artist? I did not mean that in any derogatory sense. It was a genuine question. Reason being-anyone can call themselves a Reborn artist and that experience varies tremendously. From a buyer’s standpoint, it can be misleading. I have issues with overpriced kits, supplies, etc. and many take the supply and demand stance. Maybe this falls into a similar category? Meaning the seller priced it, aimed high, and got it. I think her offering a refund evened out the bad baby scenario. Had she not, then I could see a potential issue. Whether it’s painted hair, air dry, etc. I don’t think has any bearing on the end result. One thing is certain, is it’s a two way street. Both buyers and artists need to be honest and responsible to hopefully ensure they have a successful transaction and both are happy.

5 Likes

I’ve seen those quite a bit on eBay. I always scratch my head on those. :rofl:

Excellently painted hair! Amazing!

That’s what I do, too. I am a visual painter and need something to go by and for inspiration.

Your painted hair always amazes me! So soft and realistic. The patterns, layers, and depth are amazing. I’m always baffled at how you get those wonderful crisp but soft lines. I can usually only do that using a pencil.

8 Likes

Thank you so much! I have tried lots of different styles- some work well and some don’t but I guess everyone finds the right home based on what people like. The trick is for me is to paint lots of soft lines with a thinner mixture, and mix the paint darker and thicker as I go. The thicker the paint, the crisper the line. It just has to be done with a light touch.

11 Likes

Keep doing it, because it’s working.

2 Likes

I actually adore painted hair. I’d love to be able to paint beautiful hair some day.
It doesn’t get messy, requires no combing or conditioning to get it to look good. I can put a hat on and take it off and it’ll still be in place. If you see pictures, that’s what you get. With rooted hair it can look beautifully styled in pictures but it’s messed up so easily.

9 Likes

Rooted hair definitely needs to be taken care of properly. I may try painting hair some day.

5 Likes

I don’t know, art is personal perspective. I’m sure the artist didn’t say to herself ‘this is a terrible baby, I’m going to sell it for $900 anyway’. Without seeing photos, both artist and purchasers, it’s hard to know exactly what went on here.

11 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. The artist may have been perfectly happy with the baby but refunded quickly in order to avoid any drama.

Edited to add I just saw the pics on Instagram and I don’t think there’s any way the artist didn’t realize that was a lemon :confused:

11 Likes

Yes and in that same line, in art we pay for the name and reputation of the artist. Maybe her very well made dolls sell for a lot more.
She pay a good amount for owning a doll of high demand artist.
But who knows. I have heard that the work of some prototypes artists is not as good in person. We buy a name.

9 Likes