~Warning Something You Must Know~

I was sent this information from my sister , knowing that I boil water in a cup while heating a rice sock for rooting purposes. I thought It needed to be passed along to other reborners.

Snopes Verification http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave.asp

A 26-year old decided to have a cup of coffee. He took a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up (something that he had done numerous times before). I am not sure how long he set the timer for, but he told me he wanted to bring the water to a boil…

When the timer shut the oven off, he removed the cup from the oven. As he looked into the cup, he noted that the water was not boiling, but instantly the water in the cup ‘blew up’ into his face. The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand but all the water had flown out into his face due to the build up of energy.

His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face, which may leave scarring. He also may have lost partial sight in his left eye.

While at the hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated that this is fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a microwave oven… If water is heated in this manner, something should be placed in the cup to
diffuse the energy such as: a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc. It is however a much safer choice to boil the water in a tea kettle.

General Electric’s (GE) response:

Thanks for contacting us. I will be happy to assist you.

The e-mail that you received is correct. Microwaved water and other liquids do not always bubble when they reach the boiling point. They can actually get superheated and not bubble at all.

The superheated liquid will bubble up out of the cup when it is moved or when something like a spoon or tea bag is put into it…

To prevent this from happening and causing injury,
do not heat any liquid for more than two minutes per cup.

After heating, let the cup stand in the microwave for thirty seconds before moving it or adding anything into it.

If you pass this on, you could very well save someone from a lot of pain and suffering.

1 Like

Omg!
Thanks for that info.
I do that all the time. Never even crossed my mind. I will be more careful from now on thanks.
Robin

Thanks for posting those, very informative. I also heat my cup of water in the microwave for my tea, though I don’t bring it to a boil. Won’t be doing that anymore

I have known of this danger for a LONG LONG time. However, my microwave has a setting for a cup of hot water which runs 85 seconds, then ‘rests’ for 10 more seconds before turning off. Then it reads: STIR CAREFULLY over and over again til the door is opened. It is a Sharp Carousel oven, and NOT new.

It gives warning of the danger. You would think other companies could post messages the same way…

Thank’s for the info, I will be sure to put something in the cup next time.

I just got the coolest thing to make hot tea or hot chocolate or even instant coffee. It just says Proctor Sylex on the side. You put the water in it, plug it in and about 30 seconds later its hot enough for tea. I love it. I paid $11.00 for mine after my water machine, which held hot and cold water died. A lot safer than microwaving too. I’m gonna get a couple for Christmas gifts.

Glad to see that this info is helpful. I actually posted it because I always use a rice sock when I root my babies head. I always put 1/2 cup of water in the microwave, with my rice bag ( I saw where to do this years ago). I guess it is suppose to keep the rice from cooking and steams or makes it hotter in a shorter amount of time. I know after I do this several times that cup of water get really hot being repeatedly heated. I know the usual is heat for only 1:30 seconds but sometimes I fudge on that and do 2:00 minuets, I won’t be doing that anymore for sure!!!

That happened to me once. A cup of water blew up but i dropped it before it exploded in my face! Although it did burn my fingers. Gosh i thought it may have been just a one time thing!!! Thank you for posting this!

When heating water to make jello, I had noticed this. While the water is sitting perfectly still, when you add the jello powder it will cause the water to rush up. So I use a 4 cup glass pyrex container to boil say a cup or two of water. And I insert a metal tablespoon before I add anything else to the water. If I need more than a cup or two of hot water, I always use my tea kettle.