Vinyl turning black

Got black stains or patches on your doll? Put them in the sun for a couple of days. Don’t let them get wet.
This is a mould in the vinyl that is caused by damp, often dressing baby before properly dry or damp storage. It can be killed by ultra violet light in sunshine. You will be amazed how it disappears. All vinyl spools should be stripped and placed in the sun every now and then. Just turn them so that the black us facing the sun. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Never have I ever had a reborn doll to grow mold. Sun is not a friend to paint pigments and will cause fading to any brand paint. If one is having issues with repeated mold on a doll there is either a problem of moisture trapped within the doll or more likely a mold problem in the house.

4 Likes

I agree there

This is scientific not whether your doll has suffered from it. It is usual in doll of a certain age. A lot of the vinyl has been chemically altered now to prevent it happening. In dolls where it does happen the sun is the best method. My daughter bought a doll that had been stored in a garage and was suffering badly with this problem. The sunlight cured it in one day. Just kept turning it over. Didn’t harm the paint at all. Well worth a try. Keep safe