UPDATE: Thank you BB for standing by your great customer service! Seconds Kits will Likely Have Factory Paint

I just wanted to give a heads up. Both of the seconds kits in my last order, Realborn Steven and Newborn Sage both have factory paint covering the vinyl and while I’m not sure about NB Sage, Realborn Steven is yellow underneath. This is so disappointing and not at all what I expected from Bountiful Baby. I have been away from reborning for about a year and I wasn’t aware of this paint “cover up” issue until recently. I feel as though it is very deceiving. Something should be stated on the seconds page so customers are aware of what they are buying. I’ve been a BB customer for several years now and I never received a painted seconds kit in the past. Who would expect a new doll kit to be covered in factory paint?! I wrote BB and this is the message I received:

I have the option to return, but I would then be out of shipping costs both ways. eBay or any other resell retailer wouldn’t allow me sell kits without disclosing that they are covered in paint. I just really expected more from BB :confused: and I wanted to give y’all a heads up.

5 Likes

This was my initial email to BB

3 Likes

Yep. They just added that disclaimer AFTER a lot of us bought Sage kits covered in paint. There are other threads about this issue. Pretty much, we all agree that those should be test parts instead of seconds parts. There’s no way to tell what’s under the paint. The factory didn’t decide to paint them for no reason. They painted them to cover up flaws. Flaws that would make the kit unacceptable. :woman_shrugging:t2:

10 Likes

Then they should be drastically discounted since they do not know how bad they actually are underneath the paint. Therefore do not know if they can be salvaged or not.

7 Likes

I agree. It’s a crapshoot. No telling what’s underneath. :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

I am sorry sweet @Summer, I should have thought to give you a heads up since I knew you were back on here… :confused:
Anyhow there are other kits with the issue also.

Steven, Blake, Sage NB, Grumpy Sage, Happy Sage, Ruby, Alyssa, some said their Christopher

I am also very shocked that the painted kits are being sold. I know there is NOW a disclaimer on the 2nds kit listings but I also KNOW there wasnt when I ordered it.

9 Likes

Yep, and then by adding the paint, the factory made the problem even worse because the paint stains the vinyl a nasty yellow color. Any of the defective kits purchased before they put the disclaimer on there should either be refunded (after photos showing the issues) without the kit being sent back or if the customer wants to send the defective kits back, they should be refunded on the return shipping once the kit(s) are received back at BB. People were not expecting the seconds kits to have the same recurring paint issue, since until recently, seconds kits did not have that problem; and the paint is a severe problem. In the past, seconds kits often had such minor flaws that they were almost unnoticeable. Not so any more with this factory paint issue. It ruins the kits.

7 Likes

And if they were to take the batch of painted kits, knowing they are flawed and letting customers know on their site, they could deep discount them and maybe get them out the door faster to those who may want to use the kits for test parts or alternatives, or whatever. Then, hopefully, most of the painted kits will be moved along at a low, fair price, and they can then restock inventory with ok kits if the factory has truly stopped painting parts like they said they would. They should be sold as factory painted kits until they are all purchased and out of their inventory, rather than being listed as seconds. This factory paint problem goes way beyond a seconds quality.

8 Likes

They must have added the disclaimer this morning after I made this post because I double checked and the disclaimer about factory paint was not there :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow: This is not the kind of business I expected from Bountiful Baby!

4 Likes

I didn’t even see that disclaimer this morning… I kinda wish I would have taken a screenshot.

1 Like

I absolutely agree. It’s not fair business, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

I think a lot of the firsts are having this issue, though I bought Alyssa recently, and other than smelling bad, the kit was fine.

Had I gotten stuck with a kit with yellowing, I’d probably do a yellow wash or two, avoiding the yellow spots, followed by red, then blue. Might do a flesh dots layer to blend, depending on what it looked like… I’m thinking that mottling and the other layers would conceal the rest.

I’m saying this only because some people reading this might not want to bother returning the kit, but have no idea how to deal without ending up with a boo boo baby, not because I think that anyone should have to do all of this before painting. These things need to be disclosed so artists can decide for themselves if they feel like dealing with it or not.

3 Likes

I know the disclaimer was on the Happy Sage 2nds about 2 days ago but didnt check other kits known to have the issues

2 Likes

As of writing this, only newborn sage seconds are still listed like they were before. They’ve added it to all the other seconds realborns kits but like others said, it was not there a couple days ago. Looks like they also lowered the prices?? What a mess. I hope everyone with the flawed kits will be able to work out a solution!

4 Likes

Maybe I did look at the Newborn Sage page this morning instead of Realborn Steven. She was one of the kits I ordered…

They have June 3 year old 2nds with warnings… https://bountifulbaby.com/products/3835?_pos=9&_sid=0d68a76e1&_ss=r

4 Likes

Damn it that means she is the new factory too! That sucks :frowning:

5 Likes

Well dang! I was so hoping she wouldn’t have the issues… Guess I can cross her off my list until the situation with the factory is resolved.

3 Likes

They also raised her price for 1st quality!

https://bountifulbaby.com/products/3827

5 Likes

Dang. Sad to see she will be from the new factory. And her price originally was listed as 99.99. Seems like they keep changing prices up and down, which of course is their right, but 120 is too much for a kit with all these potential flaws.

10 Likes