Unhappy customer…Advice needed

Hi everyone. :blush: I’m in need of some advice this morning. Around four months ago, I shipped a Johannah to a customer who had purchased it for her daughter.

Within a few days, I received an email from
The customer’s daughter saying the leg had come off. I was horrified to hear that, but no big deal to fix, I sent zip tied and explained how to fix it and never heard anything else from them.

Then, today, four months later, I get photos in my email from the mom, showing the baby’s head off, and telling me that now the head just came off when the baby was picked up, and something is wrong with her doll because it’s falling apart and she wants a new doll put together correctly or a full refund.

While I can’t say for certain it’s not my fault, I’ve been making reborns for seven years, and I’ve never had dolls just falling apart. I suspect it has something to do with how the doll is being handled.

I don’t feel like I should refund her money. It is such a simple fix. But I worry if she can get her money back through PayPal. Any suggestions?

I believe PayPal will issue a refund within 180 days of purchase.
Do you send a detailed care sheet with your babies? Is the baby being played with by a child?
If it were me, I would send a polite message back offering to send zip ties, and reference my care sheet for proper handling. A refund after 4 months over a zip tie is ludicrous!

5 Likes

I do send a very detailed care sheet describing how gently the baby should be handled and how the head should be supported at all times.

I really worry that she will open a claim and get her money back and get to keep the baby. :disappointed:

1 Like

I would fight that tooth and nail!

2 Likes

It seems you knew it was being purchased for a child so I think paypal will refund her.
I would ask for the doll to be returned and explain that the refund amount will depend on the condition of the doll because the head and leg only came off due to rough handling. It can only be that since you have had no problems in all the years you have been selling for. Hopefully that way she wont involve paypal.

2 Likes

Hi be careful I had that happen 10 yrs ago . The father said the head came off when his daughter was playing with it. I sent zip ties and explained how to fix it. He caused me much grief and put a scathing review on Etsy that is still haunting me. I did inform him it was not a toy for a child but he really didn’t care what I said. Just for your info. :footprints: :baby:

1 Like

Yeah I’m worried about that too. Part of me just wants to get the doll back and refund her money. At least I’d have the reborn, but I don’t know what condition it’s in after four months. :frowning:

1 Like

If anything I would replace the zip ties but I don’t know if it warrants a whole new doll…

2 Likes

I may do that. I’ve also considered asking her if she wants to return the doll to me and have me tighten all
The zip ties. I’m sure I could get them tight enough the daughter couldn’t make the pop off. Of course, then the limbs won’t move. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’d ask her to send the doll to you, with her paying shipping, and replace all the zip ties, pulling them really tight. I wonder how old the child is. Do you specify in your listings that these dolls aren’t toys and are intended for adult collectors?

3 Likes

I’m not sure she ever told me. I get the impression around 10 to 12. I did send her an email offering to really tighten all ties if she wants to send it back to me. I haven’t got a response yet.

My guy wouldn’t send it back, he didn’t want to pay shipping? I offered and he still refused to send her back. I wish you the best. Ask for a photo of the baby before you decide what to do. I agree 4 months is a while to be complaing about a petty cable tie.

2 Likes

I would send her a message that states that per the written care sheet instructions that this is not a play doll. Therefore it is not meant to withstand the handling of child’s play. It is a collectible doll meant for display and occasional handling. The cable ties are tighten to the point they should be able to hold the limbs on yet rotate freely but will not be impervoius to the force of play that can pop them off. If she would like the doll returned to have the cable ties replaced and possibly tightened down so that the limbs do not rotate at all that can be done but even then you cannot guarantee that at child could not dislocate them. Then just wait and see what happens. If she files a claim, get on the phone with PP and ask for a supervisor and explain what has happened. Show them photos of the listing from which the doll was purchased and any information that states the care requirements. It is possible the representatives can be made to understand the doll has been used in an inappropiate way. You can also write all this info in the rebuttal you get to send back to PP in the dispute.

5 Likes

It’s probably the faulty vinyl from the secondary factory, it’s known to do that.

Oh really? I’ve never heard of that, and I’ve never had an issue with Johannah. I hope that’s not the case. I’m shipping another Johannah out today. :frowning:

It’s what I’ve heard at least, something to do with the flanges being too soft and small, making it hard to keep a tight and secure fit with cable ties. I’m not sure if that kit has been produced in that faulty vinyl but it’s possible.

I think only the new dolls were being produced by the second factory. The realborns older than 2020 were the original factory that had the original molds. :thinking: I don’t think they were having both factories produce the same sculpts. JD had the originals and new ones went to the new factory

1 Like

Which is why (I think) they are not sure which kits will continue to be produced in the future, because it’s probably uncertain which molds from the new factory will be salvageable and able to be sent to JD to be produced there.

1 Like

That would actually be an interesting video for them to share. The process of creating a doll mold. I know they 3D print them and that takes hours/days but not sure how cost effective it is if the sculpt is unpopular. I have a feeling the bigger babies won’t be rereleased because they cost more to produce and ship etc

1 Like