Tips for beginners at rooting and reborning?

Hello again lol so i’m thinking about reborning myself some dolls bc they’re insanely expensive or at least for the ones i want, and i want to reroot and root my two babies bc one of them is missing patches of hair bc her hair was glued and i thought it was rooted and the other one her hair just came out. but i want to also sell so like what needles and mohair do i use for rooting and tips to get a realistic reborns? i’m trying to price it all.

Use the spyglass for information, there will be lots of it out there. Use “good” mohair, it will make the rooting easier and the finished baby much nicer. Your rooted hair MUST be glued inside the head in order to ‘stay in’!! I use a 43g single barb needle but you may want to start out with a larger needle with a couple more barbs like a 40g crown or ?? Don’t use a needle with 6 barbs you will have a very pluggy head of hair specially when you are a new rooter. Good Luck, rooting takes a lot of practice so don’t get discouraged if your first dolls don’t come out exactly as you wish they would, we have all struggled with rooting in the beginning. Practice, Practice, Practice!

1 Like

ok thank you! i’m thinking of practicing on my doll that i don’t play with.

which amount of barbs would be good for beginners? like 1 barbs, 2 barbs, or 3 barbs? i’m trying to get everything together now and price it.

3 barbs and somewhere between 36g and 40g sizes needle (the higher the number the smaller the needle btw) is where I’d start. Hair from KarmenDolls on Etsy is my favorite, and the cheapest for incredible quality, there’s been some shipping issues getting it from Russia though right now so it could take a bit to get to the states if that’s where you are.

You’ll want to learn how to root directionally, at an angle to the head so it lays flat, and rooting from the cut end is super important because of the way hair fiber works, if you root from the wrong end it’ll end up super frizzy. I’d recommend getting a test head and giving it a go to feel how rooting works!

1 Like

ok thank you! do you know the best method? i’ve seen a method called “root-a-loop” and thinking of using that method bc it looks like it gives decent results.

1 Like

I personally don’t root a look, I find it leaves tails with the hair shaft going in the wrong direction, I prefer to root from the cut end which I trim every now and then to make things easier

(though you’re needle should be at a close angle to the vinyl I was just trying to get a photo lol) I use a single barb needle, and pin a few hair ends between my needle and the vinyl!
Here’s a time lapse which of course might not be super helpful but hey it might! Sun And Lavender Reborns on Instagram: "Little time lapse of working on baby girls hair, back and sides are finished! Now just for the top and her Heart swirl! #rooting #rootinghair #dollhair #reroot #timelapse #dollcreator #reborndoll #hairpunching #hair #babyhair #bonniebrowncollection #rebornlevi #rebornbaby #reborndoll #rebornforsale #lifelikedoll #doll #babydoll"

thank you so much! i’ll let you know when i purchase everything and start beginning. and yep i seen how long it takes to root but i’m here for the process, high quality dolls= patience and hours of work. so excited to start soon!

1 Like

Invest in one of these bad boys, they make it sooo much easier. They zoom in everything.
You can shine a light in the head as well which may help.
Use a rice sock so it’s easier.
Hold the needle as flat as possible and root directionally.

2 Likes