Thoughts on using PayPal

I am seeing more and more artists being scammed by buyers who have claimed money back through PayPal, either saying doll didn’t arrive or it was faulty and PayPal siding with the buyer and then the artist is out of pocket and doll not returned either or returned damaged.
If you use another method to accept payments your seen by buyers as a scammer so seem to be forced to use PayPal.
All this reports of artists loosing money and dolls is putting me off of using PayPal but is there another option?

4 Likes

I’m not sure. I’ve always sold through eBay, and I’ve only ever had one real scamming issue, and PayPal sided with me. I feel like people that sell on other sites seem to have a lot more issues, but I could be wrong.

3 Likes

I have always had good luck with Paypal, if it weren’t for their immediate action, I would be out thousands of dollars. I check my checking account online daily and one day I noticed two $700.00 charges from Payal, that were instant transfers. I went online and filed a fraud report to Paypal, then I phoned them and explained what happened. I also called my bank and they said they would stop it. The next day when I checked, the bank did not stop the charges, however, Paypal had determined it was fraud and deposited the two amounts back into my account. As far as selling, I have been lucky and have not had the scammers that a few have had to deal with. I keep records of everything, from pictures to emails and hopefully I won’t ever have to fight a scammer. The sad thing is that with a lot of payment options, there’s always the possibility of payments being reversed, chargebacks, etc. I know several people who use Venmo, but I’m not sure how that works.

3 Likes

Venmo is owned by PayPal so that wouldn’t help haha

3 Likes

I’ve only used eBay, also, and PayPal. As of yet, I have not been scammed when selling. What I do is take lots of pictures when I pack up a baby to ship out to the buyer. I also take photos of the box with the label on it. I always get a receipt from the post office when I ship, which shows the tracking and the destination of the package. That way I have something to offer PayPal if a scammer tries to pull anything. Hopefully if I ever do get scammed, these things will help.

2 Likes

Thank you, I guess I will continue to use PayPal and take as many precautions as possible, it’s so worrying though when it’s happening to so many people

1 Like

I’ve heard of people using Walmart to Walmart to do a payment transaction. Not really sure how it works but it’s apparently a way for the customer to give the money to the Walmart in their area and the one in your area gives you as the seller the cash. No way for a scam that way as long as you then go ahead and mail the doll. I’ve never done it but it sounded like a safe way at the time.

2 Likes

Walmart to Walmart is great! I’ve done it a couple of times, but the only problem is that they scare the crap out of people. Their paperwork is super dramatic with a stop sign and all, talking about fraud, do you know this person ect. I was able to calm one person down and they went through with it, but the other freaked out and ended up finding some other way to pay. All you have to do is show an ID and give them some kind of transaction number that the customer will give you.

2 Likes

I’m in UK, no Walmart here

2 Likes

Whoops, sorry. I sometimes forget how widespread we all are! Hope you find a way you can feel safe with. I’ve so far never had an issue with Paypal but it’s probably out there somewhere just waiting to give me my turn. I think Ebay can side on the side of the buyer too.

1 Like

Have you tried Zelle? It’s s tante transfer from Ack to bank. No Fees!!! I’m not sure about protection policy … but I use it all the time for work and never had any issues.

I have not heard of that one, I will check it out thank you

1 Like