Thoughts on the changes on reborns

The way I look at it is (for me): fewer sellers to compete with, mostly high quality dolls, higher prices on dolls that reflect the amount of work. Now, I am not saying those that can’t afford the fee are not as good as those that can. I am saying that what is there is going to be weeded out. I think that the sloppily done/painfully amature dolls, and we know they are out there, that are super low priced will no longer be distracting buyers and confusing the market price of a reborn. Just my take on it - trying to see the positives for why he would do this.

9 Likes

I also thought this was @Peachtree. While I don’t really want to pay 20 bucks, I probably will. And I’m hoping that the amount of low quality cheap babies will go somewhere else :rofl: is that mean of me?

7 Likes

Sure. That could happen. But it’ll also weed out some good artists too. Not saying I’m a good artist but it definitely puts me off. I don’t know if this is the best way to get rid of “bad” artists, but I guess I don’t have a better solution. It’s a little disheartening though, at least for me knowing I’m losing my best option for sales now if I come back to reborning. I don’t make enough per doll to justify the higher price, especially when you convert it to the canadian $

8 Likes

I’m hoping that you are right. If the higher fees weed out the people out there throwing together dolls In volume , just to make a buck… I would be all for it.
Unfortunately though, it sounds like it will chase off Some of good artists that only list a doll or two a month.
I am I sure if the showcase section… a dollar for 24 hours. I’m sure everyone will do this on Friday- Sunday.
I also agree that the free membership is useless for selling, although I like that when I’m not on a paid membership( no dolls to sell) … my nursery stays there and my past dolls are all in one place. It’s good for reference.

5 Likes

You are a great artist and you were one of the ones I was thinking of when I made the clarifying statement :gift_heart:

2 Likes

I wonder how many people had silver memberships as opposed to gold?

3 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: I don’t think I’m that good but I’m not terrible either. No matter how good my work is, I can’t get a decent price for it, especially not locally. I only ever made money on doll sales when I sell on reborns.com, but that is gone for me now. I’m not reborning anymore, I thought about coming back when the puppy stuff is calmed down but I don’t think I will now. I doubt it’ll be worth it. I’ll have to find a new hobby :confused:

1 Like

I did, and being in Canada it cost more than the 9.99$ (or whatever the price was, I can’t remember).

2 Likes

But the mass producers will find it worth it to pay the $20 fee. They monopolize the site anyway by listing a doll a day. Most of those “artists” are not creating quality dolls. So I think the site is going to stay swamped with those people anyway. $20 to post a doll a day is more worth it than $20 to post 3-4 dolls a month.

7 Likes

I also expect there to be a few talented casualties. Maybe this pricing structure will not last forever - just long enough to knock the low hanging fruit off the reborn tree. I imagine that those who list infrequently are like me and go off membership anyway for those months when there aren’t dolls in the nursery.

3 Likes

It’s a shame seeing all these comments from people who can no longer move their art. I guess it makes sense seeing the huge amount of people commenting in Facebook groups who have been hoodwinked by the ever-growing amount of scam sites; plus not a lot of people can afford luxury high end art. I know I personally scoured Etsy when first searching for dolls for myself, eBay some too-- Reborns is a great website but from hearing these changes and just as a long time internet consumer and seller in general, the website could use a facelift especially if raising costs to be a member.

9 Likes

Yes. This. The ones who are pumping out lower quality dolls do still sell them in his site. I dont see the changes bumping them off the site totally. But we will see what happens I guess.

3 Likes

I have only ever paid for gold until I renewed a bit over a week ago. This time I paid for the silver. Now that i want to change because sales are so slow, it is no longer available, bummer.

2 Likes

I always did silver. I had to renew my membership today. I was shocked to see the silver gone. It it wasn’t Christmas season I would not have renewed.

7 Likes

I was one that have always done silver. Not happy about this change.

7 Likes

I think he wasn’t telling the truth about the low number of silver members… seems like most everyone was on the silver. He just doubled his money.

11 Likes

I’ve been on reborns for about 8 months now. It has truly helped my business! After Facebook changed how people see my nursery it was either pay Facebook or pay reborns dot com. I’ve always paid for the gold membership. And will continue to do so. I actually took some sales money and paid for 6 months in advance lol
I don’t understand the changes completely but I’m trying to learn about them and how they’ll affect me. But being a gold and always planning to be a gold I think I’m ok.

3 Likes

I only renew when I have a doll ready to list. It isn’t necessary to keep your membership active when you don’t have a doll listed. I pay $20 for a 30-day membership.

8 Likes

I agree with this. I feel that everyone should have a chance to sell there but sadly now some wont due to the fee(s). Some people just either can’t afford it or dont make enough dolls to justify it.

5 Likes

The lesser quality reborns will still be there and I don’t think they’ll distract buyers from the others. As to why he would do this-he’ll make a lot more money.

9 Likes