The new matte varnish

Well, I used the new formula of the matte varnish…I used it mixed with a little Mona Lisa thinner, I used a very thin coat. It came out VERY sand paper ish. :unamused:. So then I tried mixing with some of the satin varnish like I always did with the old formula and it was still a little rough but a lot better. I noticed though that adding the satin made it very thick, I had to add a good amount of thinner. This is just my experience with the new formula. Has anyone found a better way to use it so it’s not so rough feeling? I’d love to hear your experiences :blush:

3 Likes

The new varnish seems gummy or sticky, even after stirring a lot. Not very pliable.

Edit to add pic

2 Likes

Oh noooo Now problems with the new varnishes, rough feeling, sticky, gummy, thick, we just can’t get a break. Crappy vinyl and flanges, now after waiting forever for varnishes its crappy too. Oh my.

1 Like

My jar isn’t rough feeling at all, it feels very smooth, but does not offer any matting :joy: I stirred the whole just really well. Tried it both thinned with thinner and straight, it has an ok visible texture, but even straight has no sandpaper feel like my old jars of matte varnish did. I did notice that it is stickier/goopier in the jar, it just doesn’t look as solid in the jar as it used to.

3 Likes

Mine didn’t give a rough feel, just might have to mix in some thinner next time. I stirred it really well and used it right out of the jar. I expected the formula would be a bit different. I will learn to use it OR I will just keep using the Americana Soft Touch.

1 Like

I only tested mine but it did not feel rough. I sure hope there is some consistency in the formulas. I did stir mine up before using it.
I also have some of the Kabelka here. I just gotta get back to painting vinyls to really give it all a go.

1 Like

Mine didn’t cure rough! Feels more smooth than before. I mixed 50/50 satin and matte. It’s a little shiny so will adjust my ratio next time. The consistency is definitely different though! It feels like spreading really sticky honey across my kit which made me frustrated as it didn’t not spread easily at all haha. But after baking I liked it just fine

1 Like

I wonder why mine felt rough, what did i do wrong? I stired it well and mixed with some thinner. And it felt very sandy. I went over it with the kebelka mixture and it helped alittle to get rid of the roughness. On my next doll i think ill do a 60/40 satin to matte mixture.

1 Like

PXL_20220815_153722064.PORTRAIT-01
PXL_20220815_154534328.PORTRAIT-01

Heres the finished doll

10 Likes

Might depend on sponge texture?

1 Like

I use a ripped cosmetic wedges.

2 Likes

She’s beautiful! Looks nicely matte too.
Maybe don’t rip the wedge next time?
I used the flat end of mine as it was.

1 Like

I’ll try that.

I use the ‘spongey’ wedges (like wonder wedges), and it gives a nice smooth texture

1 Like

I would try it without any thinner or anything added to it. When I used to use the old formula I would apply it all over the vinyl with my hands, like applying lotion, and then I pounced it smooth all over with a flat cosmetic wedge - doesn’t give much texture (the sandpaper I think comes from adding texture with pouncing). It had some texture but never sand paper. I’d try it that way with the new formula and see how it goes.

Is this versus varnish? Who is selling it? Are the prices back to normal?

@InfantInspirations I will give that a try. Thank you.

1 Like

I read that you did it that way once and tried it with the old formula and loved the results! I do not have any of the new formula and have not painted in four months. I am hoping to start Zoe soon. My main job just about did me in . I hired 16 remote workers for summer positions and about a third did nothing, so I had to do their work…even after I broke my wrist. So no painting time at all. I did use the no painting as a chance to reorganize though.

2 Likes

Jenny, that is terrible. Is there any way to get those people to work? Do they have to face an consequences for not working? Were they hired to work from home? If so, I believe that’s a big part of the problem. Been hearing that from others.