Thank you for your help!

I want to thank everyone that’s helped me with blank kits, bodies, hair and eyes… I finally am fully stocked and ready to start my list of babies for donations to nursing homes! I’m currently working on Fei for an Alzheimer’s patient and Claire for a heart patient!!!
I hope to share my progress and pics of them in their forever mommies! Thank you all.

11 Likes

Remember that magnets are generally a no-no for the elderly where the doll is more likely to be exposed to pacemakers.
Also, painted hair wears better in the long run in places like care facilities where the doll will likely get lots of handling.
More than one coat of final varnish couldn’t hurt for this reason as well.
Happy crafting! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I donated to nursing homes . Some dolls went to individual people and there is 2 in a main area . The one in lobby had search a great popularity that some donated a mini crib .

I had no problem with them as of paint coming off . I do back my dolls with several layers of varnish . Went back to see one of them that is handled the most the hear is nice . The body needed a bit of stuffing so added a bit of Polly fiber .
Most of my dolls that I donated were sleeping one . Looking forward to learn if there is big difference in the sleeping one of awake one .
I heard someone telling that the nursing home workers had to take an awake baby away every time after the lunch as the patient / client was stressed about baby never wants to sleep . So every day at lunch they took the baby away saying is nap time and going to sleep in a baby nursery .

2 Likes

“Nap time” is really clever! My elderly Mom wants a sleeping baby doll and I hope it looking asleep doesn’t discourage her from wanting to interact with it.
I can see why an open eyed doll could become unsettling eventually for some people.

2 Likes

For elderly people, reborns are usually weighted lighter than usual, between 3 & 4 lbs. Many of them have diminished strength in their arms. (the people, not the babies. lol)

2 Likes

Thank you for responding. Oh we don’t do the magnets for sure!! As for the hair it’s only if the family request specific plus it’s easier if bald and I haven’t learned how to paint the hair… but I should try, ty for the suggestion! I do 2 coats always of the varnish.

1 Like

Love the story… I can see them worried about lack of sleep! I’ve never done an awake baby for them… I was too worried about them same issues.
It’s great they have a main baby in the lobby I might check into that. With covid I know it’s been a huge response since loved ones can’t visit. Thank you for your response

1 Like

Oh yeah, that too! I forgot about that detail!

2 Likes

I keep mine the same in weight unless asked for no extra weight. I do have one assisted living asking for a toddler and thinking about doing Tibby! Thanks for responding.

1 Like

Maybe one of the bigger babies would be better asleep. Tibby is awake and huge! But maybe June or Joseph asleep or I think Hailey 28”… she’s only a few inches smaller than tibby… 31”

1 Like

She’s way chubbier than Tibby, though.

2 Likes

They are positive they want the Tibby cause is not just for residents but is also has a therapy wing. But thanks for the suggestions.

2 Likes

Although she is a kit I want to do because she’s chubby like 3 mo Joseph! Thanks

2 Likes

You are very welcome. Can’t wait to see your finished babies. Good luck on your adventure and Hapy Reborning!

Thanks I’m going to post pics now

1 Like

Here’s the mini baby girl… 3 weeks later. My lighting isn’t very well but I hope you all like so far.

image image image

2 Likes

It’s better NOT to use mohair for elderly care centers as some people are allergic to it. Painted hair, sleeping eyes, lighter weight are the recommended standard.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m going to try painted hair this weekend!

Hey, did you reborn Hailey? I’m working on her now and she is HUGE :flushed: what size clothes (fitted) did she wear?

1 Like

I didn’t reborn her. I had her in my stash forever and sold her to someone who wanted her. I was going to put Arianna (Reva Schick) limbs on her because I don’t like her hugely fat limbs and clothes fit better on Arianna’s limbs.

2 Likes