Switching from Genesis to Air Dry Paint?

I am currently been using Genesis Heat Set paint. I have been having problems with the kit looking like it is really dirty/speckles all over the kit. I know some people use artist quality paint and also craft paints. But I want to get a air dry acrylic paint but would rather get paint made for reborn dolls. Does any one know of a good paint to paint reform dolls? Any advice would help.

Miracle blend is nice, but they’ve gone out of business. I’ve heard good things about rebornFX too.
I’ve also heard about ultimate fusion, but don’t know much about them.
There’s a lot of people that use liquitex or golden paints, though. They work wonderfully too.

1 Like

I use Liquitex and Waterborne. che’airdry http://www.reborningpaints.com/ is good too. You just have to decide what you will be using by clicking on the spy glass and go from there. Can’t wait to see what you choose. Good Luck!

1 Like

I use RebornFX, Golden and Jo Sonjas paints and products. I have a group you might like to join.

1 Like

Sounds like to may not have your paint mixed well. Genesis blends well and doesn’t leave speckles unless you accidentally get some dried out flex in your mix.

I will say that when I use Genesis paints I add a little Genesis thinning medium in with the paint an odorless thinner. This gives the paint a better consistency against running and drying with that dirty look, especially in the creases. Do mix the paints well also.

1 Like

I tried the Golden paints, eventually I will try them again. I also have liquitex paints haven’t tried them yet. They both can be purchased at Michaels and I think hobby lobby too.

I use Gamsol or Mona Lisa thinner. But I haven’t thought to add any genesis thinning medium, unless I’m trying to get a rich color, like for lips or creases. Do you add it for all washes? I really might need to try it, especially for mottling. :thinking:

1 Like

If I am wanting a water color thin color I might not add it in but for mottling and creases etc. it works well. Just a little dab is all you need.

1 Like

I have looked at different ones. The Golden paints, The Magic Of Waterborne, The Special Care Nursery air dry paints and also the Che’air. Just hard to decided which one to use. Had any one used any if these paints?

I use Waterborne. I really like them with the waterborne slo-dri but not with just water they tend to bead up but that’s probably because I don’t prep the kit first. The waterborne paints last a long time. I bought the doll paint set and primary set. I do not use the colors as directed I like to make up my own colors from them and see what happens. The owner of hunny buns is very nice too!

Oh I also use Golden too. I have found that they grab the kit a lot faster than the waterborne paints. This means less time to correct mistakes. Just a heads up.

1 Like

With any Air Dry paint you have to work quick! That is what I think is the hardest learning curve while switching from GHSPs.

Thanks for the info. I signed up to be on the group. Thanks so much!

Using some retarder medium in with your paint mix will help them not to grab as fast.

1 Like

That is true, I do not use retarder I just learned to work fast, lol!

Thank you. I will try using a little more retarder.

I assume you are also using a fluid medium or gel medium in the mix as well. That also helps the paints to stick better, not fade and not dry quite as fast.

1 Like

I’m not really sure, honestly, but I don’t think I do. I use the waterborne slo-dri with my paints and that’s it. I have a lot of allergies so I am very careful about what I use. I have thought about the golden mediums but with my weird allergies I’m leery.

Yea, you need some mediums. I think the Waterborne paints have them already mixed in but the Golden do not. You should be fine with your allergies. The gel mediums are essentially paint with no pigments mixed in and matting agents added to them.

1 Like

That’s great information to have. Thank you.