Subjective art

I love those and hoard them when they go on sale.

1 Like

I just have to say “Amen” and “Right on” to these posts.

I am sure I won’t be adding anything new but as a working artist my clients expect a certain level of professionalism from me when they hire me (non reborn art work). They expect me to meet my deadlines, to listen carefully and check in with them to make sure the project is going in the right direction (communication is everything). they expect my work to be delivered safely, to be camera ready, to be presentable etc.

As for my style, my assumption is they know it, that is why they ask me to do the work. I can send of an illustration and it will be appreciated for what it is but I can’t paint on cheap paper and send it off with food stains, shoved in a zip lock bag.

They expect the level of work that brought them to me in the first place.

It is hard because honestly we are painting kits…we are not painting the Sistine Chapel. Still People are paying for a standard of work along with the skills we bring to the table, and we can’t leave out the style in which we paint these babies.

There should be some rules but they should be common sense.

If you haven’t mastered a skill (and we all know what we struggle with) own it, disclose it, some people are fine with a bald baby, or less than perfect eyebrows.

Be transparent about your skill level, and fair when you price. I know people need and want this to be profitable but it takes time to develop the skills that bring in a good price.

Keep your babies away from you pets and your pets away from your workspace. No one wants to pay 500 bucks for a doll that smells like cat pee or has dog hair on it.

Don’t smoke or eat in your studio, some aromas penetrate and can’t be removed, they may not bother you but are a deal breaker for other people.

Don’t send a baby that is broken, damaged, or less than the best baby you have to offer period.

Use quality products, that doesn’t mean it has to be the most expensive but don’t cut corners and take short cuts. Glass beads are sand, they just look prettier, the larger beads don’t always come in white and are cheaper in a natural color and look like sand, I honestly don’t see a problem with this. There is a difference between sandblasting beads and sand you got from the local park or your kids sand box.

Oh lord never stuff a baby with seeds or beans, they will rot. I have been tempted to use lavender from my garden with my beads but natural stuff will age and decay even if it smells really good.

These babies are not meant for children period. No matter what you fill them with or stuff that into. No one wants to harm a child and no one wants to lose their home or worse over a kid who has been harmed by a reborn. These dolls are not tested for safety, if they were they would fail. Always put that in your listing to protect yourself.

USE YOUR OWN DAMN PHOTOS!

If you don’t have any, if you have no examples of your work then you can not call yourself a custom artist, you can not sell a baby to someone who can’t take a look at it. It isn’t honest and it isn’t fair. You need to make a thing, and make a lot of that thing in order to sell that thing. I am not sure why this chaps my ass so much. You can not ride on another artists coat tails.

Never promise a baby painted like another artists babies. It isn’t art, it isn’t honest and it isn’t true. You paint like you paint, be proud of that, let the people who love it love it. If they want a baby like another artist paints, they need to go buy that baby.

Inspect that baby before you send it…is this good work, have you done your best, how would you feel if this was a baby you paid hard earned money for?

Listen to feedback, sure people can be shady and scammers gonna scam but if you have a client who really feels this isn’t the work they paid for that they were promised you have to make it right.

(If you did your best and you know that baby went out pretty and they send you photos of a hot mess, I would challenge that, that is why you have photos)

Take honest photos. No filters. When I first started I filtered the hell out of my photos because I wanted the photos to be pretty and artistic. I learned quickly that people depend on those photos because they can’t physically see and touch that baby, they depend on you to be their eyes, your descriptions help them fill in the blanks.

If you are making babies and your “style” is fun and wild, and details are not your thing…you don’t have to apologize, just be honest about it, let people decide if this is the art they want in their lives.

Off my know it all soap box.

( I am guilty of sending off some uggy babies when I first started, I was just learning, I tried to be honest and my prices reflected by skill level and I am always learning and trying to grow, no one is a master we are all students)

12 Likes

I hate. Hate. HATE when people use prototype photos to sell their work. No one but Sylvia paints like Sylvia. Be honest
I don’t do customs Any more. But when I did I used photos of the blank sculpt and photos of my work.

5 Likes

You can do it.

My first doll ended up in the trash. Lol!!!

4 Likes

I agree about photography. I have seen some big artist take some nice pics of their baby but then when the person recieves the baby and takes their on pics sometimes the difference is amazing. Good or Bad.

7 Likes

@Sony72 I am cracking up right now! :rofl:

2 Likes

Same!

It took me years to be comfortable calling myself an artist. You’ll find your technique and be happy with it.

2 Likes

[quote=“Sony72, post:31, topic:78587”]
I’ve seen my OWN babies look like hell when the buyers send me proud pictures of my reborns! Lol

Same!!! Like you, I package them up beautifully, then I see pics of them looking crazy. My favorite is when they take pictures like this in horrible lighting and post them on social media for the world to see. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

@taylorsgirl, that is one reason I rarely paint anymore. I’ve got caught in in the “am I doing this right?” conversation, mostly inside my head, but honestly, also by being on this forum and comparing myself to others too much. I really enjoy being here but I also lose my desire to paint when I come here because I try too hard to do it “right”. You make good points.

7 Likes

If you are trying to do your best and know there is a learning curve for everyone you are on the right track. You can learn the basics from tutorials, but you still have to see what on each tutorial works for you and how to use what you learn. It takes practice to get good skin tones, well rooted or painted hair, and even assembling a reborn takes practice. If you are trying to create something of quality and want your customers to be happy when you start selling, you have the right idea. Do you but always always do it well! If you are just in this to make money and are too busy to take the time to do a good job, you won’t be happy and neither will your future buyers…find another way to bring in some cash.
Art is subjective, but trying to compensate for sloppy work by saying it is subjective is not the way to go. Even people who create totally abstract art need to know the basics of design and how to use color and materials to do it well.

7 Likes

I didn’t know they go on sale? thank you for the info, will watch now :slight_smile:

This is why I rarely show pictures on forums. I lost sight into what I wanted to do because of what is considered right. Now I do my own thing and if I’m happy… I’m happy! Paint for YOU.
If you sell then don’t worry… only the person that also loves your work will buy. :heart:

17 Likes

That makes me sad.

I hope you keep painting if it makes you happy. We all have an inner critic, don’t worry about what anyone else thinks or how you compare, just do your best, keep your promises (if you are making them) stay honest and have fun.

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind words Gabriel.

1 Like

I love you too @Sony72 :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: