Stripping Air Dry?

I’m trying to strip my BB Isaac kit. I had primed him with a layer of Liquitex Matte Medium, then done several layers of super-thin Liquitex Basics air dry acrylic thinned with Liquitex Flow Medium before I realized he was too sticky and covered with dust and lint to save.

After FOUR (!) attempts to strip him with Winston & Newton Brush Cleaner & paper towels, cotton face scrubbies, cotton swabs, micro applicators, and cosmetic sponges, the majority of the paint is gone, but he’s still got patches all over the place that just Will. Not. Clean. The paint that did come off came off in weird sticky flakes, and it took a lot of washing to get it off of my hands.

I can’t possibly repaint him while he’s still like this, but even trying to use my fingernails to pick and scrape the stubborn bits off isn’t working. He’s got what almost look like yellow stains in several places, even though the yellow coat was super-thin, and came after the primer and red coats. He’s got two random blue dots on the middle of his cheek that are bright and obvious and almost seem melted into the vinyl. There’s just mess everywhere. (I’m not having luck getting good photos, but I’ve included a couple below. ETA: The arrow in the second photo is showing one of the yellow spots, but it’s not really showing up here.)

Has anybody had anything like this happen before? Should I try to use alcohol or acetone at this point, since the Windsor & Newton clearly isn’t going to work? I know that either one might cause some damage, but if I can’t get at least some of this off, this kit’s unusable, so it seems like something harsher would be worth a shot.

2 Likes

Try 91% alcohol.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I’ve only ever had one air dry kit that I couldn’t strip with alcohol.

1 Like

You don’t think those spots will not blend or act as mottling with new painting layers?

It’s working so far! The blue spots refuse to come off, but the rest of the head is clean enough now. I’ve got an arm nearly perfect. Now I’m starting on the rest. Thanks again!

1 Like

Somehow they became thick. The thin paint layers rolled and clumped so it would be hard to cover without adding a hundred moles all over him. :frowning:

1 Like

All done, rinsed, and dried. Except for a tiny bit still in the crack of the lips (that sounds weird), one crease line on one finger, and those blue dots, it all came off. I’m going to cover the blue dots with a little fingernail scratch. Goodness knows I accidentally put quite a few of those on my nephews, lol!

For the crease lines, I wrap a piece of paper towel soaked in alcohol around the end of a toothpick and dig it out.

If there are stubborn spots of paint, I keep acetone around for that. Some people say not to, but I have used it a lot with no problem. Just don’t leave it sitting on there and wash it off when you are done.

1 Like

I might try that tomorrow. I’ve fought enough with Isaac for tonight. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I get it. I hate stripping so much that I throw kits in the trash. :rofl::rofl::rofl: unless they are like SOLE or something. I just can’t.

2 Likes

I stripped BB Faith first and she was SO EASY. She had been my very first painting attempt, and I didn’t thin the paint very well at all so she was glopped up. It wiped right off with no problem. It gave me false confidence because I kept thinking that if I messed Isaac up, “I can just strip him, no problem!” :crazy_face:

1 Like

Windsor and Newton doesn’t do much for air dry for me either. I usually use a magic eraser, all you need is water so no damage to the kit. For really stubborn spots I use alcohol or a bit of nail polish remover.

1 Like

I’ll have to try that. I sat down to prime Isaac and under the Ott Lite I saw that he wasn’t as good as he had looked under regular light. :unamused: If I didn’t love the sculpt so much I’d turn him into an alternate and be done with it.

W&N does pretty much nothing for me either, though I’ve heard that some air dry uses have had some measure of success with it. But this, I have never even heard of. You just wet the kit and scrub away?

W&N works if the paint is not cured or varnished. I use acetone to remove varnish and most of the paint and then W&N on a toothbrush to remove all the stuff stuck in the creases.

Genesis paint is so much easier to strip!

1 Like

If no varnish I only use 99% isopropyl alcohol. If varnish and cure I use pure Acetone (not nail polish remover) for remove all the surface than finish with alcohol. Acetone is ok if you do not soak pieces in it. I learned that the hard way !

I use old rags and paper towel, qtips for nose and ears

2 Likes

I just wet the sponge and scrub the kit. I’ve seen people use them to strip factory paint of off dolls. It works really well for that so I figured I’d try it for reborns.

2 Likes

I tried a toothbrush at one point, but didn’t even think about the fact that I buy children’s toothbrushes…you know, the kind that are brightly printed? That I was holding with my W&N-covered hand?

Yep, I spent twenty minutes scrubbing a TsumTsum Winnie the Pooh off of the fingers of my right hand. :rofl::rofl::rofl: If it hadn’t been so smeary I’d’ve left it for a while because it was a pretty cool effect, running across my fingers like that.

2 Likes

LOL…yeah, you have to be careful with those paint strippers…poor Pooh :wink:

1 Like