Started rooting

hi everyone, i have started rooting for the first time, not going too bad, quite a few plugs but it is light blonde so I think I may get away with it.
When doing the part at the front coming up from the ears, do I root downwards toward the face or towards the back of the head?
and how do I stop the hunk of mohair breaking up? I have it tied together with an elastic band.

I have done the swirl thing (kind of, it’s not very good) so now I just fill in all the other hair? My rooting seems to be very random, I had mapped out the head but found it hard to try to keep to the sections and now that has rubbed off.
Not sure if I am doing this whole rooting thing correct or not. I have watched a few tutorials but they are all so different so I though I’d just get straight in there and give it a go and see what happens.
Sometimes it doesn’t seem to pick up any hairs.

— Begin quote from “sharron2074”

hi everyone, i have started rooting for the first time, not going too bad, quite a few plugs but it is light blonde so I think I may get away with it.
When doing the part at the front coming up from the ears, do I root downwards toward the face or towards the back of the head?
and how do I stop the hunk of mohair breaking up? I have it tied together with an elastic band.

I have done the swirl thing (kind of, it’s not very good) so now I just fill in all the other hair? My rooting seems to be very random, I had mapped out the head but found it hard to try to keep to the sections and now that has rubbed off.
Not sure if I am doing this whole rooting thing correct or not. I have watched a few tutorials but they are all so different so I though I’d just get straight in there and give it a go and see what happens.

— End quote

I just pick up about 20 pieces of hair at a time and root from the cut end into the head so that I only get one to two hairs at a time… At the temple, you want to root up towards the top of the head so that the hair will lay down when you are finished… (Is that what you were talking about?) I find that I have to redo my mapping as I go… I don’t think you will have a happy result rooting randomly…

I’m just uploading some pictures

Ok here they are:

So am I doing these side bits in the right direction?

This is not very good, I found the swirl thing very hard

So do I root in lines coming down the strip of hair or across it?

If I root in sections do I start at the top of the head near the swirl and work down toward the eyes or work from the bangs upward toward the crown?

I start at the nape of the neck and root across the section I have mapped and when I get to the swirl, I go back to the bottom and root the next section. The part over and in front of the ear, I root so that it falls straight down towards the side of the neck. Think about the direction that your own hair grows, or look at your significant other. The rooting you have done so far is looking awesome.

— Begin quote from “pia”

I start at the nape of the neck and root across the section I have mapped and when I get to the swirl, I go back to the bottom and root the next section. The part over and in front of the ear, I root so that it falls straight down towards the side of the neck. Think about the direction that your own hair grows, or look at your significant other. The rooting you have done so far is looking awesome.

— End quote

Thanks Pia, I don’t think it looks good at all but I don’t want to pull it all out and start again that would be too expensive and this practice doll will be for my 7 year old so I guess it doesn’t have to be perfect.
So is my side rooting done in the right direction?

It looks like you have rooted it so that it is growing toward the back of the head. I root so that it is growing down from the place where a part might be toward the table (if the head was sitting on a table). I think most of the rooting tutorials do that too. And I am no expert. I have rooted 4 babies so far.

— Begin quote from “pia”

It looks like you have rooted it so that it is growing toward the back of the head. I root so that it is growing down from the place where a part might be toward the table (if the head was sitting on a table). I think most of the rooting tutorials do that too. And I am no expert. I have rooted 4 babies so far.

— End quote

Ok maybe I should pull those ones out at the side and make them go downward? I’m a bit confused.
I’m starting now at the nape of the neck, so do I root right across one row of fine hairs and then start moving up towards the crown? it looks too thin, I guess it will start to thick as I move up the head?

When doing the front section do I start at the crown swirl and work toward the bangs or from the bangs to the crown?

Bangs toward the crown… And try not to do straight rows across - vary the placement slightly since hair doesn’t grow in straight rows.

When I root I work towards the crown so that I am always working from the hairline in…then the finished hair is never in the way.

I think you are doing wonderful! I can’t really see lots of plugs from the pictures. Can’t wait to see your finished baby.