So....the hair just LAYS ON THE HEAD, not rooted?!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEILANI-ADORABL … 2c84493ade
I don’t get it ~ the mohair is sealed on the outside and not rooted…she says it gives it texture. I guess it would.
Huh.

I can only see one photo. But there is nothing new about this technique; i have some hand made porceleine dolls that have their hair glued like that.

Oh! Well, that’s interesting; I had never heard of doing hair this way. I learn something new every day.

Interestingly pathetic! JMO

No, I am not going to rush out to try it either. However, her baby is gorgeous and from the front and with hat on the hair looks fine too

A cute sculpt, and beautiful baby, but I don’t think I care for the hair technique. The sealer has been painted over the mohair it seems, but what if the sealant deteriorates or cracks - the hair would probably peel with it…and it might attract dust that way too, with no way to comb or clean it.

Interesting though -love to see creative options
(I think she did a wonderful job with creating the two bottom teeth)

um, I like the look of her baby in the photos, but not sure I would like it in person. And how does she get the hair to stay in place while she seals it??? Is it a spray adhesive???

I wont be doing babies like this any time soon for sure!

I think the baby is painted beautifully. I would never have added mohair on top of the painted hair. Brings back frightful memories of the AD Emily dolls!

I have only seen one ashton drake Emily doll in person. How is that hair attached? Is it glued? Or rooted? I seem to remember it layed flat to the head and that I didn’t like it.

— Begin quote from “judy”

I have only seen one ashton drake Emily doll in person. How is that hair attached? Is it glued? Or rooted? I seem to remember it layed flat to the head and that I didn’t like it.

— End quote

The hair is ‘applied’ to the head in long strands (like a bad comb-over) with an adhesive that has properties I’m not sure I can describe. It’s almost like the stuff that is used to stick labels to jars - it’s not quite solid, but it’s not really sticky either (except it’s really hard to remove completely, so obviously it sticks to the head!) It’s also has a sheen to it, so if you miss a spot, paint will not stick to it, and if you bake it, it becomes very sticky. Not the most pleasant substance in the universe!

Like my mother used to say " if you are not going to do it right. don’t do it at all". It looks terrible,
Mary

Isn’t this what’s known as creative license? I think it’s an interesting approach-kind of like one up on 3-d textured painted hair. I have a feeling the pictures don’t do it justice. I dislike the linebacker body much more than the hair.

OK, she managed to top the badly painted hair jobs…which is why I always have to root over my painted hair I mean it isn’t as bad it could be, I guess. The baby looks ok but in person, I’d be taking the baby to the sink to wash the goo out while talking to the poor baby. A bad rooting job might leave the baby with tangled hair and a horrible hair line, a bad paint job or bald might not be to my taste, a fantastic rooting job can still tangle but this just seems cruel to the poor kid…now to try it on a test head…just kidding!

evon nather does this sometimes … its called “applied hair” she actually outlines it in her new tutorial i just purchased and its actually really quite difficult to do… not a huge fan of it i did it once and though it looked good it didn’t have a nice feel… but i was also just winging it and applied it to thick. … but its not laid out in long strands and glued on like emily … i cant tell if this artist did the hair like the ashton drakes or evon though

I rooted a baby with some Singing Falls mohair that was just awful and matted badly so I decided to try to style it with Thick Medium that was thinned with thinner and get it to stick to the head. It stuck and was baked 2 times, but when you pushed on the head, the hair would sort of “lift”. I removed what I could by pulling it off and than shaved the poor baby’s head and painted hair on him. He is now living with my youngest granddaughter who loves him dearly. It was a disaster for me though. Photo process from rooted to ready to seal to shaved head to painted hair (I think this was one of the first painted that I ever attempted and I am not too keen on how it worked out). I can’t imagine how just sealing the hair on without rooting it first would look realistic at all.
http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/piaallen46/media/file_zps21e47392.jpg.htmlhttp://s1251.photobucket.com/user/piaallen46/media/file_zps3cbe830c.jpg.htmlhttp://s1251.photobucket.com/user/piaallen46/media/file_zps8c1f256f.jpg.htmlhttp://s1251.photobucket.com/user/piaallen46/media/file_zps520d1383.jpg.html

Just curious, I’m not a fan of this technique as I said, but does anyone think this might work for brows?

I’m all for experimenting, but to me that hair doesn’t ‘look amazing’. And it doesn’t look like it ‘feels amazing’. It looks like a clotted, clumped mess, with no dimension (in terms of colour variation in the painting technique), and a weird texture. This is not something I’ll be attempting in the near future - though I give kudos to the artist for trying something new, I would rate this a ‘fail’ in terms of what* I* like and admire in a reborn. To each their own, I guess.

— Begin quote from “dothehokeypokey”

I’m all for experimenting, but to me that hair doesn’t ‘look amazing’. And it doesn’t look like it ‘feels amazing’. It looks like a clotted, clumped mess, with no dimension (in terms of colour variation in the painting technique), and a weird texture. This is not something I’ll be attempting in the near future - though I give kudos to the artist for trying something new, I would rate this a ‘fail’ in terms of what* I* like and admire in a reborn. To each there own, I guess.

— End quote

I agree

— Begin quote from “Ginnylee”

Just curious, I’m not a fan of this technique as I said, but does anyone think this might work for brows?

— End quote

That’s a neat idea!