Shyann is ready for her first photo shoot

@YelenaRey is right the Biracial kits are in a darker skin tone. I used Waterborne on her but I prefer to use Liquitex as it is smoother to me. I still use Waterborne along with Liquitex though.

You glue a magnet inside the head and cut the nipple off of the paci and put a magnet on that! I also put a magnet inside an envelope that says it must stick here so that all of my pacis face the same way. Here you go:

2 Likes

Booooo lol

I’m sorry I’m just being impatient lol and you guys are being so amazing and sweet and helpful and I’m being stubborn :crazy_face:

Thank you so much for all of your help and input it has really helped me so much :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Ooooh I do want to do that!

1 Like

We have all been where you are so ask away! Someone will always be here to steer you in the right direction!!

1 Like

LOL I am actually surprize that with all newborn photography experience you describe yourself as ‘impatient’. IMO reborning requires immense amount of patients and attention to the details. Especially if you want to learn, be successful, and sale.
Are you familiar with https://www.reborns.com/? This is the site where almost everyone here post their babies for sale.

2 Likes

@PhotographyForLife. She’s very pretty for your first reborn, great job!

2 Likes

Biracial Shyann was my first kit I did.

2 Likes

Lol that’s the only way to quickly learn anything is immersion :heart_eyes: when I first started photographing newborns I ate drank and slept newborns until I felt confident in my skills to actually call myself a newborn photographer :heart_eyes: and yes photographing them dies take a lot of patience but that is part of the art… oh wait… did I just get your point? :thinking:

3 Likes

Beautiful first baby, you should be proud!!! :smile:

1 Like

Like @MilosMeadows said, you use various shades of red, blue, and yellow. Human skin doesn’t have “flesh” colour. It does help to “mottle” some layers, that can give more depth. Since you are using acrylic paints you should get some Golden wetting agent or Jo Sonja flow medium to mix with distilled water to get very thin layers without sacrificing the quality of your paints.

2 Likes

You might want to try a sealer. I use liquitex matte gel mixed with distilled water, it gives the vinyl a bit of tooth so you won’t need to worry about the paint not sticking.
I also wash my kits with bicarbonate (baking soda) mixed with dish soap, this really helps take all the oils off of the kit.

1 Like

I watched as hard as I could lol very distracting with the dude conversations I think I figured she had her own prep solution but I didn’t get much detail on it, kept getting distracted because as soon as she started saying hi to people it chatting about something My brain stopped listening even though I was listening. So I had to rewatch a couple times
Same issues
Didn’t hear anything about rubbing alcohol.

Am I supposed to use it? Is it a good thing?:frowning:

Hey! I bought that! Yeah!

1 Like

I agree with you, Annette is very chutty in those tutorials as they were ‘real time’ painting classes. Her other tutorials where she is using Genesis is much better and shorter.
Rubbing alcohol removes manufacturing oils from vinyl that were not removed by dishwashing soap.
If you still have oils on vinyl paint will not stick to it.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll continue to watch because there is spot of valuable info there I’m just afraid to miss something :crazy_face:

1 Like

My trouble with waterborne paints started with Alcohol and Folk Art Glass and Tile medium. I will never use those products again on my dolls. FA made my doll peel, and after I washed a doll and used alcohol on it my paint was blotchy, that is a reason I do not prep my dolls anymore. Now just because that works for me it does not mean it will not work for you. I listened to everyone and finally found my way, it took about a year and a half of trial and error.

2 Likes

oh dear lord a year and a half? my heart just plummeted imaginging your frusteration!

1 Like

Yes and I refused to strip, my close family and friends would tell me what they wanted and I would charge them for the kits or give them as birthday/christmas presents. Even though I have an Art background it did not help me. I am not a natural. It is taking lots of work but fun work. I have been reborning for over 3 years and just now branching out beyound close family and friends. Lucky for me they all want Alternatives. This Hobby keeps me sane, I love it!

3 Likes

I started with Glass and Tile as well and I also agree with the alcohol issues. I only wash my babies with soap and bicarbonate with a soft make up brush (those round ones) along with very warm water. You don’t need alcohol and it can cause problems if not washed off properly, it does evaporate but there still seems to be something left behind if you don’t wash afterwards.
Glass and Tile left my babies very gritty, like sandpaper.

1 Like

I wipe with alcohol first and then immediately wash with dawn