Sheriff's office called---stolen reborns?

I just got a call from the Sheriff’s office in Port Orchard, Washington, where I live. The man on the other end identified himself as a deputy and told me that they had just pulled over a car with about 10 or 11 reborns in it and the driver “didn’t look like someone who reborns”. He told me they were VERY FREAKED OUT when they found them because they thought they were real babies. (I can just imagine that :lol: ) He said some of them were “so realistic we had to actually push on their chests to make sure they weren’t breathing.”

Anyway, long story short, they think the dolls were probably stolen and asked me if I knew of anyone who had lost some or if I had had a robbery myself. I have never really met anyone who reborns except for a Maria68 who I traded dolls with one time here in town. I don’t even know if she is still a member on here, that was years ago. I told him I would post this to get the word out. If you think these might be your dolls or have any information please call the Kitsap County Sheriff’s dept. or 911 if you are local. The case number is: K14011195.

Hopefully these dolls can be returned to their rightful owner.

3 Likes

Oh my goodness, I can just see the image of these officers seeing these babies. Not funny but at the same time it is. ( All those babies lined up in a row in the back seat) LOL!!! I hope they find whomever they belong to. Just wrong from the word go stealing anything, but at least the idiot took the good stuff. LOL!!!

2 Likes

Seems odd to me too
and even more odd that they pushed on their chest to make sure they werent breathing? Reborns look real but come on not that real lol, after a second even someone with cataracts knows they are dolls. Doesnt sound like very smart cops.
How did the police find your contact?
Maybe this was a prank call?
Imagine tying up the 911 line for this?
What were the charges on the “suspects”?

1 Like

They don’t know that the dolls were stolen, just that the person driving the vehicle didn’t look like someone who would have these types of dolls so they are going with the assumption of stolen goods. Who knows, there may have been other high end items in the vehicle also.

A few years ago when Ashton-Drake dolls were the big thing to reborn (before kits came out) I was a dealer for them and had a business license with the word “reborn” in the name. I got tired of filing quarterly taxes and really wasn’t making anything on them so I kept the license for less than a year. Several months ago I was contacted by a local lady wanting to buy a reborn from me and I had no idea how she had my contact information. It turns out she had used google to find a local reborn artist. Until then I had no idea that my info was out there on the internet. So I assume that is how the deputy got my information.

Since he gave me a case number and at the beginning of the call I was on speaker phone and could here the noise of the office, I don’t think it was a prank.

1 Like

I’ve had several people hold the “baby” and insist I was kidding about it being a doll. They poked it in the chest too…timidly, though.

2 Likes

My son has asked to borrow a baby when he goes out so he can attract more girls. I’m sure he would not look like the type that makes reborns. But, it’s still strange. Maybe the police officer just had a “gut” feeling.

1 Like

They were probably just playing around :smile:
I have several silicone babies, including silicone prototypes (babies over 5 grand) and even as real as they feel and look no one would think they are real babies after a few seconds…the brain is much smarter than that

1 Like

Even if she was the artist, why would she be driving around with all of them? And what does a reborn artist look like? Maybe she had an older car and they figure anyone with these dolls should make enough to have a better one. Just weird.

1 Like

Interesting that anyone would assume this was a female that was pulled over. If the police said the driver “didn’t look like someone who reborns”, I would trust their judgment and picture him as a burly dude. Besides, the person probably did something else illegal or suspicious to even be pulled over in the first place. Some doll collector is probably coming home from vacation to find half her collection missing.

I would think that a burgler (if this is what happened) would be more interested in the small stuff like jewelry and money, Rx drugs and small electronics. Carrying out many dolls takes too long, robbers are typically quick in and quick out…dolls? too time consuming. Wish it was caught on camera, this must have looked hilarious lol
This is an odd story though, I wish it were on the news so some of the pieces could be filled in

1 Like

Very strange. I live near Port Orchard and this story just doesn’t sound right? How does a person who reborns dolls look? I’m a hefty sixty-five year old Grandma. I doubt I look like “a person who reborns dolls.” I also don’t understand why the Sheriff’s office called you. Did I miss something???

1 Like

I would have loved to see that police stop on T.V.! I have to say that my home has been broken into several times through the years and that the only things stolen were items like cheap rug, a vacuum cleaner and pots and pans- they even stole our copper pipes from under the house! They did not take anything that one would assume might be stolen such as my jewelry box or the other valuables that were right out in the open. People on Meth don’t always think so clearly after being awake for months so I am thinking reborns might be something they would grab- they seem to steal really weird stuff and they will creep in like ninjas while you are sleeping. I am interested to see what kind of behavioral profile the authorities have worked up for us reborners lol!

1 Like

I’m really curious why they called you directly? Are you a “known” by the police as a reborner? Seriously, I would question the phone call altogether - maybe someone was playing a prank on you?

Maybe there was another reason the car was stopped, maybe there were other stolen goods and the driver could not give any satisfactory answers about the dolls. However, if there were 10 dolls stolen, I would expect the doll world, forums & facebook, buzzing. Of-course, the owner may be away and not know. Do you have the option to see the number the caller was calling from? You could call it and see who you get.

1 Like

Well I’m sure I don’t look like their definition of a reborn artist either & have an older car but to me it’s the heart that makes a reborn artist, not looks :wink:

How would the cops know what a reborn artist looks like? or a reborn doll for that matter? If they had to check if they were breathing it sounds like they dont know what a reborn is…so why would they contact the original poster? Unless the OP has ads and flyers all over town, I dont see how the police would even know of the original posters existence

That is exactly my point - why would the police contact someone randomly??? This sounds like a prank to me.

Kind of a lame prank -lol

Well guess it gave us something to talk about lol

1 Like