Sharpening Prisma and Inktense pencils

Does anybody have any recommendations for pencil sharpeners that will give an ultra fine tip without breaking it? I have yet to find one.

1 Like

I know from Gina’s @Gabriell video that she shapens them with a knife.
I was not able yet to sharp them with a pencil sharpener to my likening.

1 Like

This one is really good

A trick is to hold the pencil and turn the sharpener…

1 Like

I kept breaking the tip with the prisma brand manual sharpener. I used my cheap little electric pencil sharpener from Walmart and it has been working great for me.

I’m going to try this one.

1 Like

I use one made for eyeliner

1 Like

Where did you get it? The ones I’ve used for eyeliner broke the tips, too.

Walmart, I think. A cheap one too… like $2 :grin:

I found a perfect one! Little metal sharpener, made in Germany. Unfortunately, hobby lobby no longer sells them. I’ll attach a pic… I’ve been meaning to look somewhere else for them…/

1 Like

I agree. Turn the sharpener, not the pencil. Also the cheap ones work best for me.

Art supply stores sell metal ones made in Germany. They’re ultra sharp and inexpensive. I use them and always get a sharp point without breakage.

2 Likes

I found some at Michaels.

2 Likes

I use a small all metal handheld one
Pop the pencil in the freezer for a bit before hand it should help

5 Likes

That’s a good idea. I’ll try that, too.

Ah! Thank you!

1 Like

I used a blade in art school and now I can’t sharpen really well without one.

1 Like

Prisma sells a sharpener. I think it works great.

Laurie

I remember when I was in high school and had a mechanical drawing class we had sharpeners on our desks. They were the coolest sharpeners ever. They were a little cylinder with a hole in the top, you inserted the pencil, and turned the pencil (like a crank) (or like you were stirring a pot on the stove). The sides of the cylinder inside were something abrasive and they honed your pencil to the finest point I’ve ever seen. Wonder if you could get something like that anywhere? Never seen one in the outside world. They were totally awesome!!

2 Likes

There’s something called a Tihoo long point pencil sharpener on Amazon. Would that be it?

I just purchased a Westcott ipoint electric pencil sharpener from amazon. I googled to see what was recommended and someone that is an artist using prisma recommended this sharoener. It isn’t in yet.